Helium deposits discovered in the Free State could be worth R1.45 trillion

NoLuck Chuck

"Another factor that makes Renergen’s site different from other natural gas extraction sites—and will put environmental concerns to rest—is that it won’t require fracking."
Translation:
Of course there'll be a huge environmental impact, but it will only become apparent after a few years, by which time so much money would have already greased so many palms, that it would be impossible for anyone to do anything about it.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Oh please, the ANC will make sure the country never sees any of that in any meaningful way.
The ANC will do their best to take as much of this as they can, obviously, however, considering the value in the deposit I'm sure big foreign business will have large interests in it, the ANC has no chance in that scenario, better still in that case chances are good that they'll be starved of even crumbs.

NoLuck Chuck

Well at least something positive for a change unlike the asbestos and Estina etc. saga's.
Let's hope the country benefits more from this than the politicians!
The Government Employees Pension Fund has just more than 8% share.
There'll surely be politicians and connected business men involved through various investment firms, but I suspect that most of the profits will flow into US pockets.

NoLuck Chuck

Trillions of Rands of Helium discovered in South africa.........those 2 white guys better get their **** together, before the ANC comes knocking with those 51% ownership forms.

Attachments

• ASX Annual Report Shareholder Information.pdf
    1,018 KB · Views: 5

MeestaR

Expert Member
Absolutely this. And in 2012 nogal - it's not like some ancient apartheid rule could be in play here.
That said, correct me if I'm wrong, they don't own the land, they have gas rights... still, $1 is $1
I'd buy that for a dollar!

emperornemesis

Enter stage right with Julias Malema rambling on about how his ancestors used helium for gazillions of years befor the whites stole it. Apparently they used it for cooking, making beer, and melting metal in ZimBOBwe. They also used it for ships when their voyages of discovery allowed them to discover all 24 other continents about 7000 before the whites.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Trillions of Rands of Helium discovered in South africa.........those 2 white guys better get their **** together, before the ANC comes knocking with those 51% ownership forms.
Yeah it would be terrible if a non-renewable resource was used to benefit the country instead of two individuals.

azbob

Honorary Master
Regarding the $1 gas rights, there’s probably some clause that they get a % of sale revenue.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Regarding the $1 gas rights, there’s probably some clause that they get a % of sale revenue.
Which would have been an important ingredient to the story.
Because the story makes you feel that someone or some people lost out big time.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Yeah it would be terrible if a non-renewable resource was used to benefit the country instead of two individuals.
Wait, you think the ANC managing things benefits the country more than the private sector?

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Wait, you think the ANC managing things benefits the country more than a private sector entity?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Wait, you think the ANC managing things benefits the country more than a private sector entity?
I just know, afroskepticism aside, you have two ways of managing your natural resources. You can be like the UK with their oil, or the Norwegians with their oil. One of those created one of the largest pension funds in the world with their resources. The other went for short term profits and squandered it all.

I think we should do with our natural resources, the same thing Botswana does with its.