Help me choose a new fibre ISP

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for the call, most helpful.

One concern I just have is surrounding the company structure, "founder-run business" is great but also not so great when things go wrong and the founders are not around. I am looking to join a smaller ISP and not some giant network like Afrihost or Mweb but I also just want to ensure that there is some support when is needed.

Are there any plans on bringing on any dedicated support staff or technicians?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
So dear OP you are able to escape Octofail? Meaning you have other providers at your place?

ryanrich

Their support structure is terrible, basically relies on PBCool being around on the forums and if he's not good luck trying to get any support from their ticket system.
Thankfully in 7 months I’ve needed zero support, CISP rocks. Colleagues in Big Bag and Parklands on other ISP’s (two that you’ve mentioned) have tons of issues whereas I’ve had zero on CISP. To each their own...

If I had to switch though it would be to Macrolan. We have some enterprise products of theirs and support and performance is superb.

nicksoper

Thanks for the call, most helpful.

One concern I just have is surrounding the company structure, "founder-run business" is great but also not so great when things go wrong and the founders are not around. I am looking to join a smaller ISP and not some giant network like Afrihost or Mweb but I also just want to ensure that there is some support when is needed.

Are there any plans on bringing on any dedicated support staff or technicians?
There are 5 people on the team currently, we rotate weekends and evenings. Cool thing about founders is they tend to care a lot. We want future team members to also have skin in the game.

The current experiment is to have a very heavy onboarding process and empower customers to self help (as this is the quickest solution for a fix 80% of the time). Seems to work well.

Our monitoring technology means we tend to let customers know they are offline and ask what's up 1:1. Except during load shedding when we see massive clumps of customers go offline - then we light a candle for people in that area (highly technical solution )

If there is an issue with the underlying FNO the support falls under the respective FNO's SLA (more details here: http://atomic.ac/sla) so that's more of an operational task.

The dream is to keep building out our proactive support process, and to have some more hands on deck.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Home Connect is brilliant... Just not their tech support but as long as you know who to speak to then it's all good
I've had an open ticket with Home-connect going on 5 weeks now! Feedback has bordered between non-existent to useless! So annoying!!

sand_man

Honorary Master
I guess you have to blame Vuma on that one.
Probably but I don't think Home-connect have broached the iperf issue with them yet!! I don't understand it... I've given them numerous test results as well as a historical break down of my iperf issues over the last 4 months.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Probably but I don't think Home-connect have broached the iperf issue with them yet!! I don't understand it... I've given them numerous test results as well as a historical break down of my iperf issues over the last 4 months.
Cool Ideas also tried?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Surely there's someone at Vumatel who knows their a$$ from their elbow I can email?? Must be, surely?!

sand_man

Honorary Master
Cool Ideas also tried?
Apparently! For months... :confused:
Vumatel are the new Helkom, no fcking doubt!! I've had infinitely better service from Telkom over the years! If 1Gbps was available on Openserve I would use them. They available in our area.

Last edited:

wingnut771

Executive Member
Apparently! For months... :confused:
Vumatel are the new Helkom, no fcking doubt!! I've had infinitely better service from Telkom over the years! If 1Gbps was available on Openserve I would use them. They available in our area.
I can only go back to 20mb ADSL in my area.