Help me choose a new phone

supersunbird

Honorary Master
My CAT S60 died and I am using my old Samsung S5 Mini 16GB and it's just not cutting it.

I need to get a dual SIM phone with at least 32GB, and in black in the R2000 to R3500 range from Takealot. To be used from whatsapp and browsing mainly, I do not plays games.

I am currently looking at the Samsung A11, A02s or A12.

Anyone with experience of the above phones? Or suggestions on other phones I can look at? (the Nokia dual SIMs not available in black).

Smokey888

Expert Member
My CAT S60 died and I am using my old Samsung S5 Mini 16GB and it's just not cutting it.

I need to get a dual SIM phone with at least 32GB, and in black in the R2000 to R3500 range from Takealot. To be used from whatsapp and browsing mainly, I do not plays games.

Anyone with experience of the above phones? Or suggestions on other phones I can look at? (the Nokia dual SIMs not available in black).
I have a brand new A21S for you, did not check if it's dual sim. still sealed, un-opened

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

/Subscribe
I need exact same specs as you have just posted :thumbsup:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
And I see it's basically impossible to get any new phones with under 6.4" screens, I would be totally fine with a 4.5" to 5" screen.

SHL

What is good about it over the Samsung phones for example? Clean OS?
Redmi 9C - R2599 - 3GB RAM, 64GB ROM, 5000mAh Battery
A02S - R2299 - 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM, 5000mAh Battery
A11 - R2800 - 2GB RAM, 32GB ROM, 4000mAh Battery
A12 - R3299 - 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, 5000mAh Battery

The Redmi does have a cleaner OS. Personally I find the Samsung devices way too bloated but it's all down to personal preference I guess. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the above models.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Subscribes....dropped my S8 last night and cracked the screen so looking for a new phone :crying:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Subscribes....dropped my S8 last night and cracked the screen so looking for a new phone :crying:

None of these will match your S8 phone, they have IPS screens and not AMOLED. No Gorilla Glass. The CPUs are slower. You'd need to get something more expensive to match your S8.

I ended up ordering the Samsung Galaxy A02s and will report once received (should be Monday). It doesn't have a fingerprint reader (good) and had the most RAM of the 3 Samsungs and a cover for it that I really liked.

My brother had a Xiaomi and when I asked him he said the OS had been frustrating. He is now on a Nokia 7.1 and loves it, but no adequate Nokias where in my price range.

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master
Still better than the 4 series Snapdragon in the Samsung OP chose. 12 nm vs 14 nm....

I haven’t any personal experience with the new 4 series, but I wouldn’t expect a huge increase in improvement between 14nm and 12nm. From what I remember the 14nm SD 660 outperformed the 12nm Helio P60, for example.

The Helio G25 is definitely a bit of a sloth of a SoC though.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Geez it is slim pickings with phones in SA at the moment if you want something that is not an iPhone or Samsung. try to find something with a screen smaller than 6.5", has NFC, UBS-C, dual sim and wireless charging .... and is in local stock and doesn't cost more Eskom's debt.

Edit: for the wife. She want the Nokia 5.4 dual sim. Says she can live without wireless charging. I see it is in stock (so they say) at futuretelecoms.co.za (got no idea of how reputable they are, 2 negative reports on HelloPeter) for R4800. Could I do better? Single sim is R1000 cheaper at Cellucity (friends have bought from there before without problems) but out of stock.

Last edited: