Help me choose a new phone

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I would get an older Note 8-9.

Nicer than these cheap junk new phones

New on takealot for the budget given?

Anyway, my phone is ready for collection.

This morning I realized I should have gotten a Samsung J7 Duo like my mom has. Stupid Takealot doesn't have Dual SIM as a filter and it didn't have Dual SIM in the product name.

5.5" and AMOLED screen and OK processor.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
2GB RAM and Mediatek Helio? Likely to be a little sluggish in the performance department .
I have the vivo Y1s as an secondary phone, def a bit sluggish at times.It has 2gb ram and HelioP35 2,3ghz octocore.Its battery life is awesome much better than my flagship s20 lol

cpu.

Expert Member
I have the vivo Y1s as an secondary phone, def a bit sluggish at times.It has 2gb ram and HelioP35 2,3ghz octocore.Its battery life is awesome much better than my flagship s20 lol
Did you turn animation off on the Vivo? It makes a big difference.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I got the phone.

Initial views:

Not a fan of the screen size. How must one easily adjust the brightness and screen rotation and stuff without changing ones grip on the phone? Guess one can't.

Plenty responsive enough in my opinion, the benches are better than my CAT S60s Snapdragon 618 after all. Some unneeded apps like Outlook and Linkedin and such that I had to uninstall. Facebook app cannot uninstall, can only disable.

Heavy, but not as heavy as my CAT S60.

Need to get much longer USB-C cables.

Hare

late to the party
This is my view on the Redmi 9C which a lot of people are recommending.

Voice call reception on both Vodacom and MTN networks are poor, keeps breaking up.
The screen is not "hardened glass" and mine broke with the first fall from a height of less than a 60cm.
(Best protection would be one of these booklet covers that protect both the front and back.)

I'm presently using mine to listen to audiobooks while walking the dogs in the afternoons and for taking a photo here and there but for nothing else. This phone is really not worth it.

Webcast2

late to the party
This is my view on the Redmi 9C which a lot of people are recommending.

Voice call reception on both Vodacom and MTN networks are poor, keeps breaking up.
The screen is not "hardened glass" and mine broke with the first fall from a height of less than a 60cm.
(Best protection would be one of these booklet covers that protect both the front and back.)

I'm presently using mine to listen to audiobooks while walking the dogs in the afternoons and for taking a photo here and there but for nothing else. This phone is really not worth it.
My 9C had plenty of drops. Battery lasts forever and reception, no problems. Great charging speed as well. Good value overall.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
2GB RAM, 16GB storage, 3400mAh battery, old Mediatek SoC?

You really do have low aspirations for your phone…

Well, it's like the user reviews that say my chosen phone will not be responsive... it's pretty fast IMO. But ja, 16GB RAM would not have cut it, I already had a 16GB phone to use and it kept moaning about space daily.

Dave

Honorary Master
Well, it's like the user reviews that say my chosen phone will not be responsive... it's pretty fast IMO. But ja, 16GB RAM would not have cut it, I already had a 16GB phone to use and it kept moaning about space daily.

16GB storage has gone from undesirable to seriously stupid, the OS alone can eat up >10GB of that, add a few apps and the 16GB is gone.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Geez it is slim pickings with phones in SA at the moment if you want something that is not an iPhone or Samsung. try to find something with a screen smaller than 6.5", has NFC, UBS-C, dual sim and wireless charging .... and is in local stock and doesn't cost more Eskom's debt.

Edit: for the wife. She want the Nokia 5.4 dual sim. Says she can live without wireless charging. I see it is in stock (so they say) at futuretelecoms.co.za (got no idea of how reputable they are, 2 negative reports on HelloPeter) for R4800. Could I do better? Single sim is R1000 cheaper at Cellucity (friends have bought from there before without problems) but out of stock.
Considering Sony and LG don't make phones anymore, sadly the market is shrinking. Even Nokia fizzled out again

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Redmi 9C - R2599 - 3GB RAM, 64GB ROM, 5000mAh Battery
A02S - R2299 - 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM, 5000mAh Battery
A11 - R2800 - 2GB RAM, 32GB ROM, 4000mAh Battery
A12 - R3299 - 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, 5000mAh Battery

The Redmi does have a cleaner OS. Personally I find the Samsung devices way too bloated but it's all down to personal preference I guess. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the above models.

No dual sim on the A12 and the resolution is crap. 32gb is no longer an option

Redmi Note 9 Pro is really the only choice. Even the Note 8 is a little powerhouse.

randomcat

Expert Member
No dual sim on the A12 and the resolution is crap. 32gb is no longer an option

Redmi Note 9 Pro is really the only choice. Even the Note 8 is a little powerhouse.

Have you tried the 9t? I want to get one