Help me choose a new phone

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No dual sim on the A12 and the resolution is crap. 32gb is no longer an option

Redmi Note 9 Pro is really the only choice. Even the Note 8 is a little powerhouse.

The A12s on Takealot can be had with dual SIM.

Anyway, still not a fan of the long screen (can't do everything easily with one hand, now I know why people hold phones against their body). But love the battery life, on 77% last night after a full day of frequent usage, can see this going 2 full days easily.

Screen is weak but visible in full sunlight, AMOLED would have been better.

randomcat

Expert Member
Looks like a good deal. My Redmi 8 is still serving me well its just the poor camera and lack of nfc that bugs me.
Get it.
Specs are very close to the Note 10.
I have the Redmi Note 9s and I love it. The only problem is it doesn't have NFC for payments. I will probably pick the 9t up today for my sister. She had the Redmi S2 but the glass broke. You can't repair these phone lol. Once it's broken, you have to buy a new one. It's good value for money, even if you have to throw it away after 2-ish years.

Last edited:

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
The A12s on Takealot can be had with dual SIM.

Anyway, still not a fan of the long screen (can't do everything easily with one hand, now I know why people hold phones against their body). But love the battery life, on 77% last night after a full day of frequent usage, can see this going 2 full days easily.

Screen is weak but visible in full sunlight, AMOLED would have been better.
And storage.
64 is now minimum.

Any phone still needs 2 hands to type so eventually size doesn't matter.

B-1

Expert Member
I have the Redmi Note 9s and I love it. The only problem is it doesn't have NFC for payments. I will probably pick the 9t up today for my sister. She had the Redmi S2 but the glass broke. You can't repair these phone lol. Once it's broken, you have to buy a new one. It's good value for money, even if you have to throw it away after 2-ish years.

The official lineage OS and others support is also a big plus for me. Ive replaced a xoiami screen before but its not really worth it. I ordered the screen off aliexpress and a local Pakistani shop did the replacement.

randomcat

Expert Member
The official lineage OS and others support is also a big plus for me. Ive replaced a xoiami screen before but its not really worth it. I ordered the screen off aliexpress and a local Pakistani shop did the replacement.
I tried replacing the screen for the Redmi 4x and S2. Both of them were not as responsive after. Cost about R800-600 each by a local Pakistani shop. It's just not worth it.

Reactions: B-1

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Considering Sony and LG don't make phones anymore, sadly the market is shrinking. Even Nokia fizzled out again
I still do not buy Sony products and try avoid and device that has a Sony camera in it.
"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's Global Digital Business President, 4 November 2005

Nirv

Sony seems to have gone hyper premium with nothing in the mid range. Pity as I used to go for the mid range Xperias. Now I'm probably going for a Galaxy A52.

Dracos13

I was also due for an upgrade in Jan, I am still on my old contract because I have little options.
The Huawei P30 is out because the newer models have changed to the P-something and does not support google(I need google bcause I use chromecast etc.)
Basically Huawei is out, I am left with Samsung A series in my price range and I am not convinced it compares to the Huawei P40 etc. Samsung S series looks better in comparison but the are almost double the monthly cost=no go.
That leaves Hisense H50/Vivo etc... don't know them and am not convinced they compare to the Huawei p40.
Seems I will have to hang a bit to see whether the Samsung S series falls a bit next year.

Meister-Man

Expert Member
I was also due for an upgrade in Jan, I am still on my old contract because I have little options.
The Huawei P30 is out because the newer models have changed to the P-something and does not support google(I need google bcause I use chromecast etc.)
Basically Huawei is out, I am left with Samsung A series in my price range and I am not convinced it compares to the Huawei P40 etc. Samsung S series looks better in comparison but the are almost double the monthly cost=no go.
That leaves Hisense H50/Vivo etc... don't know them and am not convinced they compare to the Huawei p40.
Seems I will have to hang a bit to see whether the Samsung S series falls a bit next year.

That P30 is a great phone.
Just something to keep in mind, from what I read, some people had overheating (and other) issues with the Samsung S20, so if you do opt for the Samsung go for the S21.
Also there's this brand called Xioami, they make great, well priced phones

r4nd0m

What's the most reliable way to order these phones? Looked at a few networks' offers and I don't see these being supplied with any contracts.

Looking at the Mi 11 when it eventually lands. Seeing so many places online that ship 'em, but you can never be sure if you're getting the real thing.

B-1

Expert Member
What's the most reliable way to order these phones? Looked at a few networks' offers and I don't see these being supplied with any contracts.

Looking at the Mi 11 when it eventually lands. Seeing so many places online that ship 'em, but you can never be sure if you're getting the real thing.

You get them on most of the online stores for prepaid. Takealot, incredible etc

schuits

Expert Member
I see some Xiaomi Redmi 9T and Note 9T specials on Takealot today.

I was also looking for a new phone, and was set on the Note 9 Pro, which seems to have been superseded by the Note 9T.

--edited to avoid confusion as mention below--

Last edited:

Dracos13

That P30 is a great phone.
Just something to keep in mind, from what I read, some people had overheating (and other) issues with the Samsung S20, so if you do opt for the Samsung go for the S21.
What bothers me is support for the Xioami, as I said, my main reason for staying with what I have is because I am currently relying on Google chromecast to stream content from my phone apart from other apps, what if for some reason all that stops working due to this phone, then I flushed cash down the toilet.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I can highly recommend the Xiaomi Redmi 9C. You get a lot of phone for a very little money. 3GB of RAM, 64GB of internal storage, dual sim, fingerprint scanner, nice UI, huge screen, and very responsive interface. I bought one for my mom to replace her Huawei phone that only had 16GB of internal storage, which just wasn't cutting it anymore. No complaints so far. Look, it's not a Samsung Galaxy, but it's pretty damn close at a tenth of the price.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
What bothers me is support for the Xioami, as I said, my main reason for staying with what I have is because I am currently relying on Google chromecast to stream content from my phone apart from other apps, what if for some reason all that stops working due to this phone, then I flushed cash down the toilet.

Casting to Chromecast works 100% with the Xiaomi's. There's absolutely no reason to fear that it would stop working.