"Help me decide what colour combination to paint our new house!-See photos".

JemJem

Hi All,

so we bought our first property, and i am in charge of taking care of painting the exterior colour of the house. colour is my choice.
1.jpg
2.jpg
19.jpg 20.jpg

so i am hoping that you guys can weigh in on some awesome colour combinations that i can use. at the moment, i am considering a sage green with white trimmings

sage green.png

However i saw a house yesterday on my way home, and i just had to take a photo of. the colours looked great!
IMG_20210302_165018_195.jpg

So what do you guys think?

should i...
1. Go with Sage?
2. Go with the grey/white/black
3. Would both colours go with the faded orange terracotta? i could try to paint the roof dark if needs be
4. What other colour combinations do you think would work for our house

Thanks!!!!

Varktjop

Expert Member
Jeez chill on the hdr / saturation overload. I prefer the grey/white/black.
Yeah, I agree. The house I bought last year was painted fairly recently with white, dark grey and black. It looks fantastic. I just need to paint the interior. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that yet

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Orange with brown and white finishes. That way, if you mess chicken tikka masala on the wall, no-one will notice.

Same thought with orange and white. But who makes chicken tikka masala outside?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Grey, white, black/charcoal (or whatever it is called)

JemJem

Jeez chill on the hdr / saturation overload. I prefer the grey/white/black.
hahah sorry man. i just took the pic. i don't even know what hdr means. i guess High Definition Resolution? lol

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Grey and white has been the most popular lately.

Download the dulux app. Play around with the colours a bit by uploading you picture and changing it on the app to get an idea of what it could look like. Once you’ve decided on a colour the actually code is there and you buy a sample. Paint a nice big square in an area with light and an area without. Decide if you’re happy with the colour and purchase.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I may get some flack for this but here goes: careful when painting your roof black as it gets woes warm during the summer! Great for your pool heating but not so great if you don't have proper insulation installed...

JemJem

Grey and white has been the most popular lately.

Download the dulux app. Play around with the colours a bit by uploading you picture and changing it on the app to get an idea of what it could look like. Once you’ve decided on a colour the actually code is there and you buy a sample. Paint a nice big square in an area with light and an area without. Decide if you’re happy with the colour and purchase.
how long should i let the sample colour sit on the wall for? i take it that it is just to test the colour and not really the properties of the sample paint?

JemJem

I may get some flack for this but here goes: careful when painting your roof black as it gets woes warm during the summer! Great for your pool heating but not so great if you don't have proper insulation installed...
i can try a charcoal. but then use the cool roof paint that i hear you can get.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I would just paint it red. Easier to spot when taken without compensation.

AND DO NOT PAINT THE TILE ROOF!!!!

Get a pressure cleaner and give it a good pressure wash.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
how long should i let the sample colour sit on the wall for? i take it that it is just to test the colour and not really the properties of the sample paint?
Yeah mainly for the paint colour. You can ask them for the specific paint as well so that you can get a feel for the finish of the paint. Like wall seal vs micatex and see the difference in texture. Find a hairline crack and do a stroke/roll over half the crack as well to see how it covers the crack. Please be sure to look at a hairline and not a bigger crack as those should be opened. Even at the hairlines I’d prefer to open it and get rid of the crack. So be sure to remind the painter that there’s a crack to be seen to at those test spots.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I did a black roof before. However I cannot confirm the heating issue. The house did not have insulation before hand no we added insulation afterwards.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Why not paint the tile roof? Tile deteriorate after a few years, losing their waterproofing and then absorb one hell of a lot of water when it rains.

Sure clean off the deposits first check the sealing between the coping tiles and then paint.

As to colour, what rugby team do you support? paint the house in those colours.

Reactions: 3WA

Matt91

Expert Member

Is there a reason to not paint your tiled roof? Genuinely curious

RedViking

Nord of the South
Why not paint the tile roof? Tile deteriorate after a few years, losing their waterproofing and then absorb one hell of a lot of water when it rains.

Sure clean off the deposits first check the sealing between the coping tiles and then paint.

Is there a reason to not paint your tiled roof? Genuinely curious

If it is concrete tiles it should be fine to paint. But baked/clay tiles like that the paint is just going to come off in a couple of months.