Help me fix my monitor =)

RedViking

Nord of the South
HDMI Connection.

When the display comes back on from sleeping (ZzzZzzzz) or when it switches on it flickers and then it switches of again. Sometimes it stays on, but most of the time it switches of again. (The monitor power light stays on). I tried a new HDMI cable it still does the same.

VGA Connection

There is still a flicker but it seems to stay on. In fact, if I connect both the HDMI and VGA to the monitor. I can switch back to the HDMI connection and then it stays on. (There is a button you press to switch between HDMI and VGA).

Has anyone experienced this or something similar?

I don't have an issue with my second monitor (VGA). Just the HDMI one.
Unfortunately I don't have another HDMI monitor to test on my GPU to single out if it might be the HDMI port on the GPU.
The monitor is quiet a few years old.

Monitor : https://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-23MP55HQ

1565681656823.png1565681634094.png

PhireSide

Executive Member
Your monitor is jealous with all the attention that you've been giving to your new keyboard

In all seriousness, it sounds like the display light driver may be on it's way out. A mate of mine had a very similar model (LG D2343) and his packed up after a couple of years. I have the same model as his, purchased in 2011 but I haven't had any issues with mine yet (touch wood)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Definitely faulty. It's possibly picking up over voltage or no signal and just shutting off.

Midnights_Ghost

My monitor had a similar flickering issue and the power light stayed on when there was input but no output.
I found out my backlight of the screen was faulty, as in I could see what was happening on the screen if I looked really closely in the dark.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Hmmm had a similar kind of thing, just used another power prick I had lying around that had a higher current output, sorted my issue.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Definitely faulty. It's possibly picking up over voltage or no signal and just shutting off.
This is what it looks like. When a monitor switches on an quickly looking for signal.

RedViking

Nord of the South
If you see any 23" or 24" inch IPS monitor specials or deals (doesn't have to be new) let me know. :D Around R2000 would be great. Needs to have DisplayPort.

Last edited:

PhireSide

Executive Member
I am actually looking for a monitor with DisplayPort.
These are quite scarce on the cheaper/entry level monitors sadly. You will find DP mainly on monitors that are 1440p/4k and 144/240hz and HDMI and/or DVI on your 1080p60Hz displays.

I have also just checked; I have a Dell E2418HN at work (1080p 24") and I cannot see any pixels at all. I'd argue the display looks better than my 23" LG at home, but definitely less crisp than my Philips 22" 1080p display that's also on my desk.

Anything above 24" on 1080p will show noticeable pixels due to the PPI being a little lower, and I would recommend a jump to a better resolution if you go bigger than 24". You can check out https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/ for some info if you have half an hour to spare

RedViking

Nord of the South
These are quite scarce on the cheaper/entry level monitors sadly. You will find DP mainly on monitors that are 1440p/4k and 144/240hz and HDMI and/or DVI on your 1080p60Hz displays.

I have also just checked; I have a Dell E2418HN at work (1080p 24") and I cannot see any pixels at all. I'd argue the display looks better than my 23" LG at home, but definitely less crisp than my Philips 22" 1080p display that's also on my desk.

Anything above 24" on 1080p will show noticeable pixels due to the PPI being a little lower, and I would recommend a jump to a better resolution if you go bigger than 24". You can check out https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/ for some info if you have half an hour to spare
Thanks. Yes, I don't want bigger than 24" for 1080.

The problem is my GPU only has one HDMI port, the rest DisplayPort. Didn't realise those DP monitors are so expensive because I always just had the HDMI. Hoped to get two or three monitors at some stage.

PhireSide

Executive Member
I don't want bigger than 24". The problem is my GPU only has one HDMI port, the rest DisplayPort. Didn't realise those DP monitors are so expensive because I always just had the HDMI
DP to HDMI adapters are pretty cheap and abundant, as a last resort