Help me to get rid of a microsoft account.

upup

Executive Member
Yesterday I saw a flag asking me to open a microsoft account with a one time password. I did it and now every time this computer start up it wants this password. This is a home computer and I don't want a password. My computer is windows 10 home.
when using google they tell you to go to netplwiz, and uptick it. When you go to microsoft to remove password it does not allow me to.
Please help me to reverse my fault.

Attachments

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You can't permanently ever get rid of having a Microsoft account as it is integral to Windows 10 updates and especially IF you make use of Apps. The pin sign-on facility is actually quite useful.

What you can do is not sign on with your MS account every time you want to use the PC, by creating a local Account and sign on that way. Then only use the MS account when you really have to.

Will post the details on where you can find how to create a local account

lowriderza

You can't permanently ever get rid of having a Microsoft account as it is integral to Windows 10 updates and especially IF you make use of Apps. The pin sign-on facility is actually quite useful.

What you can do is not sign on with your MS account every time you want to use the PC, by creating a local Account and sign on that way. Then only use the MS account when you really have to.

I've never had update issues with machines having local accounts only. For the store part I usually log in to the store and out again after I'm done. Could just be lucky I guess.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I've never had update issues with machines having local accounts only. For the store part I usually log in to the store and out again after I'm done. Could just be lucky I guess.
Also correct. And works if the PC was started up that way in the first place. But once you have an MS account, it is there for ever. I also only sign on to the MS store when required for updates and new apps I may be interested in..

lowriderza

Also correct. And works if the PC was started up that way in the first place. But once you have an MS account, it is there for ever. I also only sign on to the MS store when required for updates and new apps I may be interested in..
I've changed a lot of accounts back to local accounts, the warnings you get switching back is mostly fear mongering. Sure if you have a lot of MS apps that uses the MS account it is a bit of a pain, but most like Office 365 you just sign in inside the software.

upup

Executive Member

Thank you

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yesterday I saw a flag asking me to open a microsoft account with a one time password. I did it and now every time this computer start up it wants this password. This is a home computer and I don't want a password. My computer is windows 10 home.
when using google they tell you to go to netplwiz, and uptick it. When you go to microsoft to remove password it does not allow me to.
Please help me to reverse my fault.

Here is the correct way to close an MS account. BUT, take heed of the warnings associated with closing an MS account, and make sure you save anything you might have associated with the account that you want to keep.
Also note that if you again access anything that requires an MS account, a new one will be created for you again.
The reference lists quite a few things that require an MS account.

Mostly, it is better to keep one MS account going. Rather create a local sign-on account instead for daily use and then only sign on with the MS account when you require it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/12412/microsoft-account-how-to-close-account

To create a local Account:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

Hope this helps.