Help needed getting 012-number landline phone to work with fibre

Demavend

Hi guys. I am not sure if this is the correct forum category for this question. If not please let me know where I should post it.

Telkom has ended our copper landline service about two weeks ago, telling us that we need to use fibre now for our 012-number home phone calls. They didn't provide us with any guidance whatsoever on how to do this. Contacting them, they say they do not send out technicians for this issue. Visiting their outlet in Menlyn Mall they were of no help and clueless. I have googled for information but most discussions I have found online are too advanced and assumes one to have some existing knowledge on how to do these things.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction or give step tech support advice to someone who has no experience setting up phone systems and has no idea where to start, it will be very appreciated. We do not have any fancy VOIP phones, only basic cheap analogue ones.

Some extra information on what I have tried so far:

So, plugging our landline phones into the copper line outlet is not working anymore; the line is completely dead and you hear no sound. Plugging the phone into the "Tel 1" port of the Huawei ONT that we got years ago with our fibre setup does provide a tone when listening into the receiver, but it is just a regular beeping tone and phone calls do not work. I have tried to google for information on how to get this to work but the only information I get simply tells you to plug the phone into the ONT and then it should work, but sadly that is not the case in our house.

For some reason, Telkom gave us a brand new modem when they came around to our house to tell us that they will be ending the copper landline support. I have no idea why, as we already have two working modems. The one they gave us does have a phone line socket (as do one of our other modems), but plugging our analogue phones into that also provides no tone whatsoever; it's completely dead. The modem did come with a Telkom sim card thingy though... But I assume that is purely for LTE users. I could be wrong. Do we need to use that sim card somehow to get the phone working?

The modem they gave us (and we are currently using it) is a DWR-956M and on it's box says it is a fibre, LTE and VOIP supporting modem.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi guys. I am not sure if this is the correct forum category for this question. If not please let me know where I should post it.

Telkom has ended our copper landline service about two weeks ago, telling us that we need to use fibre now for our 012-number home phone calls. They didn't provide us with any guidance whatsoever on how to do this. Contacting them, they say they do not send out technicians for this issue. Visiting their outlet in Menlyn Mall they were of no help and clueless. I have googled for information but most discussions I have found online are too advanced and assumes one to have some existing knowledge on how to do these things.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction or give step tech support advice to someone who has no experience setting up phone systems and has no idea where to start, it will be very appreciated. We do not have any fancy VOIP phones, only basic cheap analogue ones.

Some extra information on what I have tried so far:

So, plugging our landline phones into the copper line outlet is not working anymore; the line is completely dead and you hear no sound. Plugging the phone into the "Tel 1" port of the Huawei ONT that we got years ago with our fibre setup does provide a tone when listening into the receiver, but it is just a regular beeping tone and phone calls do not work. I have tried to google for information on how to get this to work but the only information I get simply tells you to plug the phone into the ONT and then it should work, but sadly that is not the case in our house.

For some reason, Telkom gave us a brand new modem when they came around to our house to tell us that they will be ending the copper landline support. I have no idea why, as we already have two working modems. The one they gave us does have a phone line socket (as do one of our other modems), but plugging our analogue phones into that also provides no tone whatsoever; it's completely dead. The modem did come with a Telkom sim card thingy though... But I assume that is purely for LTE users. I could be wrong. Do we need to use that sim card somehow to get the phone working?

The modem they gave us (and we are currently using it) is a DWR-956M and on it's box says it is a fibre, LTE and VOIP supporting modem.

If you have Openserve fibre and Telkom as your ISP then you plug your normal phone into TEl1 on the ONT and it should work. If it doesn't there isn't much you can do about it other than asking Telkom to log a fault to fix it because you do not have access to the ONT at all.

Demavend

If you have Openserve fibre and Telkom as your ISP then you plug your normal phone into TEl1 on the ONT and it should work. If it doesn't there isn't much you can do about it other than asking Telkom to log a fault to fix it because you do not have access to the ONT at all.
Yes, Telkom is my ISP. It looks like I will have to try and get them to send out a technician.