Dominiquetjie

Hi Everyone:

Please help me, it is so confussing to find help and e-mailing all of the service providers regarding the issue i currently have with Telkom. I took out a SmartBroadband Wireless 20GB + Huawei B315 contract with Telkom approximately four (4) months ago. But now i see that they have uncapped packages for R 399.00 a month and we currently pay
R 399.00 per month.

I need help now understanding, the following:

1. Everyone on their sites say you need a ADSL Line, does the router (Huawei B315) count as a router? Or do i need
to take out a line with Telkom for the ADSL?

2. What is the prices for the ADSL line if i need to take out one with Telkom (Just more or less)?

3. I see nowhere on Telkoms website or on the internet that i can cancel the contact with them? But they advertise a
month payment (Almost like pay as you go). So how to i change the contract then from them to AfriHost or
someone for uncapped?

4. What is difference between LTE and LTE-A?

5. Fibre is now in all of Gauteng, but i see that out street (Furrow Street, Equestria) is almost part of the fibre. If i'm
able to change from my current package. What will happen with changing to Fibre?

Sorry for all the questions.:confused: I just hope some of you can help me with these questions - as i feel like i'm paying a large amount of money for internet that is used up within a week - due to the fact that i work from home as well and then need to load more data on the wifi.

Please assist, as soon as possible - for a non tech woman.:wtf:

This is my current speed test that i have done now, with the Telkom SmartBroadBand Wireless:

[/URL][/IMG]

This is the speed test that i have my sister in law, done with her AfriHost:

[/URL][/IMG]

This is speed test done by one of my friends, who pays R 399.00 for uncapped Fibre with ClearAcess:

[/URL][/IMG]

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards
Dominique:):confused::)

Code:
Telkom
Code:
SmartBroadBandWireless
Code:
Changing-packages
Code:
Data-issues
Code:
Uncapped

Last edited:

Peon

Expert Member
I am unsure as to the answer to your question. I do have a question of my own. When typing your post did you consume alcohol?

Saajid

Expert Member
You are comparing Apples to Oranges. The Telkom Wireless Broadband products are all based on cellular technology (wireless connections to cellular base stations). These are typically LTE connections, but in some cases can fallback to HSPA or 3G depending on the base station and coverage.

ADSL is another service from Telkom, then runs through a regular telephone line. You have to have a telephone line on account with Telkom before you can get ADSL. Once you have a line and are paying regular voice line rental, you still need to pay for 2 more monthly items. First is the ADSL line rental, which is actually not another line, it runs over the same copper line as your voice calls. Voice calls and ADSL data use the exact some line, but utilise different frequencies on the line. An ADSL modem or ADSL router is required in order to get an ADSL service. The modem is able to remove the voice signal from the line it is plugged into, and only utilises the ADSL signal. The ADSL line rental fee depends on the speed of line you apply for and get. The speed of line you are able to get depends on how far you are from the Telkom exchange (Telkom building, or Telkom equipment in a special street cabinet) and how good the quality of the copper wiring is. ADSL line rental can be paid to either Telkom, or to your chosen ISP. Most ISPs are resellers of Telkom's ADSL lines, and will even sell it to you slightly cheaper than what Telkom will sell it to you for, as they receive wholesale discounts which they pass onto their customers.

The Huawei B315 router is an LTE router. It doesn't support ADSL, and can't receive or interpret ADSL signals. So if you want to switch from LTE/HSPA/3G to ADSL, you will need to buy an ADSL modem/router.

The second thing you have to pay for once you already have a Telkom voice line, which is enabled for ADSL at a specific speed, is a data bundle. It can either be a capped account (a fixed number of gigabytes) or uncapped. The data bundle you can get from either Telkom (their ISP division is called TelkomInternet) or from any other ISP.

Some ISPs will give you a further discount if you buy both your ADSL line rental (at a specific speed) plus a data bundle (either capped or uncapped) directly from them.

If you signed a contract with Telkom for your 20GB LTE, I don't think there is much you can do except wait it out. Telkom does offer an uncapped LTE service for R799 per month, but only to a limited number of users per base station (I think its between 50-150 users), and only 1400 base stations country-wide. Check here to see if your base station is covered, and to apply: http://www.telkom.co.za/today/unlimited-broadband/

After you apply online at the above link, you should get a call from a Telkom sales rep to complete your application. At this stage, explain to them that you are already in a 20GB contract , but want to upgrade to the uncapped LTE deal. I think it is quite possible they will allow you to upgrade in this way. It is definitely worth it for R799, though this might be out of your budget. But since it is uncapped and real world speeds are between 40-90mbps down and around 20mbps up, this is the closest you will get to fibre. Latency (ping times) are also very low, almost comparable to FTTH.

Edit: LTE is a 3.9g service, while LTE-A or LTE-Advanced is a 4G service. It is faster, more spectrally efficient, has lower latency, and higher bandwidth capacity. Telkom is the only service provider that can roll out a true LTE-A service, because they are the only ones with enough spectrum to do a proper implementation. They have a significant amount of spectrum in the 2.3Ghz band, but I believe they are using this for LTE and not LTE-A. I think iBurst (now owned by Multisource) and Neotel are the only other 2 enitities with enough spectrum for a true LTE-A service. I know Multisource is busy setting up and trialling an LTE-A service (in conjuction with FNB connect?). I'm not sure what Neotel are doing with their spectrum at this stage.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Last edited:

Dominiquetjie

Hi Saajid

Thank you for helping a not knowing own person out.

Will talk to Telkom then directly regarding the change of the package.

Just feeling like paying R 399.00 a month and then adding another R 450.00 for 20GB extra is a large amount wereby I know that there are people paying the R 399.00 monthly for uncapped.

Thank you so much for replying and helping out with these questions. :eek: