Help with finding a institution that offers IT qualifications via distance learning

PrimeSteak

Hey guys, soooo I've run into a bit of a wall here...After wonderful( :rolleyes:) encounters with AIE and Pearson Institute I've run out of options of where to study from next year on, I'm in Matric as of now so I'm making the final adjustments for my plans for 2021 education-wise. What institutions that offer IT qualifications via distance learning would you guys suggest I go to?
(P.s I'm planning to study for a diploma at most but not a degree at the moment.)
Thanks in advance for the help!

Ya Boi
PrimeSteak

Capture.JPG

cguy

Executive Member
IT is pretty general - any area in particular? Why not go for a degree? By diploma do you mean a 3 year one or certificates?

PrimeSteak

IT is pretty general - any area in particular? Why not go for a degree?
Well, I'm going for web/mobile dev and maybe a bit of PC repair on the side. Secondly, I don't have the funds to go for a degree, the curriculums that I've seen for IT degrees are a bit too Math-intensive to my liking and I just don't want to start off with a degree for now. Lastly, I'm willing to go for a 3-year diploma at most and minimum a 1-year certificate to get me started. But I'm also willing to do like bootcamps and stuff, but most jobs I've looked up ask for formal qualifications (diplomas,etc.), so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a job in SA if I just did a bootcamp or short course or whatever.....

cguy

Executive Member
Well, I'm going for web/mobile dev and maybe a bit of PC repair on the side. Secondly, I don't have the funds to go for a degree, the curriculums that I've seen for IT degrees are a bit too Math-intensive to my liking and I just don't want to start off with a degree for now. Lastly, I'm willing to go for a 3-year diploma at most and minimum a 1-year certificate to get me started. But I'm also willing to do like bootcamps and stuff, but most jobs I've looked up ask for formal qualifications (diplomas,etc.), so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a job in SA if I just did a bootcamp or short course or whatever.....

If you go for “Information Systems” instead of “Computing” at UNISA, I believe the degree is pretty much math free. It’s also relatively cheap.

I don’t have any suggestions for the shorter courses, but I do recommend vendor certificates (Cisco, red hat, Microsoft, etc.), over random institution X. With boot camps, be careful of spending a fortune for something you could essentially learn online.

randomcat

Expert Member
Cheapest will be Unisa. I'm currently studying through them. Mancosa is also good for Bcom IT. I will give the advise I wish I got. Just do a Bcom(IT),Bsc(com) or Dip(IT) through Unisa. Any of those will help you. DON'T DO A BOOT CAMP. I did one and It's a waste of money. While you are doing your "formal" education do a few Udemy courses in the field you are interested in. Bonus if you can get a job in a related field. If you got a problem with math(which I did) do a higher certificate or redo matric math.

PrimeSteak

Cheapest will be Unisa. I'm currently studying through them. Mancosa is also good for Bcom IT. I will give the advise I wish I got. Just do a Bcom(IT),Bsc(com) or Dip(IT) through Unisa. Any of those will help you. DON'T DO A BOOT CAMP. I did one and It's a waste of money. While you are doing your "formal" education do a few Udemy courses in the field you are interested in. Bonus if you can get a job in a related field. If you got a problem with math(which I did) do a higher certificate or redo matric math.
Well, I am considering doing Dip(IT) through UNISA...Is UNISA worthwhile and how is UNISA as an institution? Cause my extra maths tutor is doing a degree in Economics through UNISA as well and that made me actually want to find out a bit more about them and I'd actually like to learn more about UNISA but they're not good at answering emails. Also, I planned to do some short courses through schoolofit.co.za before I start with my formal qualification anyway. I'll make sure to keep away from the bootcamps. Thx for the advice!

randomcat

Expert Member
Well, I am considering doing Dip(IT) through UNISA...Is UNISA worthwhile and how is UNISA as an institution? Cause my extra maths tutor is doing a degree in Economics through UNISA as well and that made me actually want to find out a bit more about them and I'd actually like to learn more about UNISA but they're not good at answering emails. Also, I planned to do some short courses through schoolofit.co.za before I start with my formal qualification anyway. I'll make sure to keep away from the bootcamps. Thx for the advice!
You experience might vary from mine due to the nature of Unisa(it will take time to understand this but you will some day :ROFL:). They will not reply to your emails. You have to go to them physically and some times insist on getting the information you require. They will not hold your hand but if you email a lecturer personally they will be happy to help. Don't do the schoolfit thing, it's seems expensive. Udemy is about R250 for a whole course. Do about 2 or 3 related to your field.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Remember to apply for NSFAS once you register.

PrimeSteak

Remember to apply for NSFAS once you register.
Would I be able to apply for NSFAS if I distance learn through UNISA? Or is it more of you have to be full-time on a campus type of thing to apply?

PrimeSteak

You experience might vary from mine due to the nature of Unisa(it will take time to understand this but you will some day :ROFL:). They will not reply to your emails. You have to go to them physically and some times insist on getting the information you require. They will not hold your hand but if you email a lecturer personally they will be happy to help. Don't do the schoolfit thing, it's seems expensive. Udemy is about R250 for a whole course. Do about 2 or 3 related to your field.
Well, the thing is Udemy is great and everything but it's all mostly just video tutorials. I learn better if I say watch 1 vid/lesson/lecture/whatever and get "homework" to do and so on (so what I'm trying to say is I learn best if I do it hands-on with some slight guidance, so I don't know if Udemy would work out so great for me).

Curious_Al

Well, the thing is Udemy is great and everything but it's all mostly just video tutorials. I learn better if I say watch 1 vid/lesson/lecture/whatever and get "homework" to do and so on (so what I'm trying to say is I learn best if I do it hands-on with some slight guidance, so I don't know if Udemy would work out so great for me).

Some courses on Udemy are very hands on actually where the lecturer will give out assignment in 1 video and the answer to that assignment in the next video.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Would I be able to apply for NSFAS if I distance learn through UNISA? Or is it more of you have to be full-time on a campus type of thing to apply?

Either. As long as you are registered.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I'm currently doing a course on PLC programming on Udemy. The course is what you make it, I could just watch the videos and skip the quizzes and assignments.

I downloaded the software linked with the course from day one. I followed the videos for each section in the software and make sure I understand each one before going to the next.

But dont just sign up for any random course. Read the reviews first and see what other say about the course

PrimeSteak

Ok, I'll check Udemy out some more btw what do you guys think about Coursera and Edx? Also what would be some crucial international certifications/accreditations to have if you want to become a web dev/PC repairman?

Pho3nix

The Legend
My advice, just do the Unisa degree. You'll thank yourself in 5 years. Do some Udemy courses and start working while you study.
Get your AWS, RedHat certs and you will be alright for a while

LegionnaireJ

Also went the UNISA route, went with BSc Computing - if the math doesn't sound like you then you could do as suggested above with post #5.

Although to be honest - you get out what you put in, I sucked badly at math in School, did well at UNISA by working my tail off. Turned out to be my favorite subjects - CompSci math is very interesting.

Go for the degree / diploma as early in your career as you can - it only gets tougher later, once you start having more and more responsibilities, and the potential boost to your starting salary is so worth it.

Also - possible to finish your degree in 3 years while working full time at your age, I did it (you don't need sleep at that age apparently :p). So its not exactly a life sentence.

If you do go the UNISA route, try and keep your average as high as you possibly can, some companies still use that as a yardstick when hiring green graduates.

Never found the fact that I went through UNISA limiting in any way when it came to being interviewed/hired.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey.

PrimeSteak

Also went the UNISA route, went with BSc Computing - if the math doesn't sound like you then you could do as suggested above with post #5.

Although to be honest - you get out what you put in, I sucked badly at math in School, did well at UNISA by working my tail off. Turned out to be my favorite subjects - CompSci math is very interesting.

Go for the degree / diploma as early in your career as you can - it only gets tougher later, once you start having more and more responsibilities, and the potential boost to your starting salary is so worth it.

Also - possible to finish your degree in 3 years while working full time at your age, I did it (you don't need sleep at that age apparently :p). So its not exactly a life sentence.

If you do go the UNISA route, try and keep your average as high as you possibly can, some companies still use that as a yardstick when hiring green graduates.

Never found the fact that I went through UNISA limiting in any way when it came to being interviewed/hired.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey.
Thx man, I appreciate it. After deliberation, I've decided to go for the Diploma in IT via UNISA but only after I've done some short courses and recieved my matric results (I don't get why the results have to release at the end of February but oh well...).