help:-(!!! XBOX 360 or PS3???

eye_suc

Expert Member
although, apparently MGS4 is coming to xbox.

and then, to the OP. just check the mentality of the fanboys on this forum, and check the people who are the most defensive about their console. you can weigh the pro's and con's yourself, but let the games decide :)

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
On second thought:

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Xbox360 = brilliant gaming experience with subscription online play that works better than PS3's admittedly free PSN

PS3 = over-priced Jack-of-all-trades, master of none - does not offer ANY significant benefit over the 360, except for Bluray which is useless unless you have a 50+ inch television.

jarrodr

Expert Member
@Enigma243: thanks. I've heard about the new dashboard design, Do i have to update the xbox or does the new versions of the xbox come with the new design?

@RaptorSA: thanks. So you think the XBOX PRO would be fine for me, the hard drive isn't an issue for me. I'd rather take that difference I would pay for the Elite and buy a 2nd controller.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
On second thought:

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Xbox360 = brilliant gaming experience with subscription online play that works better than PS3's admittedly free PSN

PS3 = over-priced Jack-of-all-trades, master of none - does not offer ANY significant benefit over the 360, except for Bluray which is useless unless you have a 50+ inch television.

hahaha....Couldn't have said it better myself :)

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
@Enigma243: thanks. I've heard about the new dashboard design, Do i have to update the xbox or does the new versions of the xbox come with the new design?

@RaptorSA: thanks. So you think the XBOX PRO would be fine for me, the hard drive isn't an issue for me. I'd rather take that difference I would pay for the Elite and buy a 2nd controller.

It wouldn't have the update off-the-shelf, so it would be an online update. However as the games catch up, the update SHOULD make its way onto the most recent game discs. I.e. games released after 19th of November should update your console as well...

*EDITED TO ADD*

You should also be able to download the update off xbox.com after the 19th, burn it to a CD and update your console...

Last edited:

Ewie

Another thing the xbox got a great community in south africa.

www.xbox-360.co.za

And second hand games and game trading is way cheap and the way to go to get all those older titles for next to nothing.

jarrodr

Expert Member
are updates like the new-dashboard-design, are they free to download, or do i have to pay a monthly fee?

doobiwan

Executive Member
Thanks for the speedy reply guys,

Blu-ray isn't that big yet anyway, it'll be some time if/when it takes over dvds, so you gotta point.

I'm still open to hear suggestions from the PS3 fans.

OK, say I get a XBOX, should I get the PRO (60gig) or ELITE (120gig). Is there really a big difference between the 2? (though the black console look mean).

The games I'm into are Arcade-type racing games (nfs), 3rd person shooters (big gta fan and crysis) and definitely not rpg.

360 is the better bet.

Just from a local gaming perspective, the Live community is 3-4x larger and more active than the PS3 guys. That doesn't just affect online gaming, it also means there's more second hand and tradeable games going around.

For content - 360 is home to the biggest franchises in the genre's you mentioned - Halo, PGR and Gears of War, and is also the more consistent console for multiplatform games as well. In my opinion the controller is also superior (But that's a personal thing)

As for which Xbox, I say the 60gb Pro is more than enough. We don't get all the HD movie downloads the US get so the 120Gb is a bit wasted, especially for an extra R1000. If you like the black look, you can always just get a black faceplate.

There are some good specials at the moment - you can get the Pro with Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda free which are reasonably good titles.

are updates like the new-dashboard-design, are they free to download, or do i have to pay a monthly fee?

They're free.

Live Silver is free, so anyone can download demo's or Arcade games, chat via voice etc etc, it's just to actually play most games online you need to subscribe. But heck, it's about R30 a month which is nothing. It's less than a meal at Steers.

Last edited:

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Another thing the xbox got a great community in south africa.

www.xbox-360.co.za

And second hand games and game trading is way cheap and the way to go to get all those older titles for next to nothing.

aaah...another good point sometimes overlooked. I buy most of my games 2nd hand and because there's more titles on Xbox and it's been out for a few years now you'll always pick up great deals.

Yeah, honestly, I've had a 20GB Xbox Pro now for almost a year. I have some mp3's on the HDD (in case the network's down or I'm too lazy to walk to the room and turn on my pc :)..I also use it as a Media Center extender with windows Vista, looks GREAT in the living room! So far there's still like 12GB open on the HDD. The batteries on the remotes last about 2-3 weeks with low to medium daily play, and about a week with heavy play. (vibration on)

BinaryJack

Spam
Anyway, without turning this in a console war thread.

Get the Ps3 if you are looking for a BD player, have an HD TV and looking for certain games.
Get the 360 if you are looking for a gaming machine, have a LCD monitor (adapter for HD gaming is R184 at Kalahari) and looking for a wide variety of games.

The arcade has some good classics (Banjo, Soul Calibur) and arcade games available, Castle Crashers, Braid etc.

Since you like 3rd person shooters like GTA you can get Gears 1 now and Gears 2 in November! :D

There is a large selection of pre-owned games available at all BT games.
Trading is happening almost everywhere.

Last edited:

BinaryJack

Spam
aaah...another good point sometimes overlooked. I buy most of my games 2nd hand and because there's more titles on Xbox and it's been out for a few years now you'll always pick up great deals.

Yeah, honestly, I've had a 20GB Xbox Pro now for almost a year. I have some mp3's on the HDD (in case the network's down or I'm too lazy to walk to the room and turn on my pc :)..I also use it as a Media Center extender with windows Vista, looks GREAT in the living room! So far there's still like 12GB open on the HDD. The batteries on the remotes last about 2-3 weeks with low to medium daily play, and about a week with heavy play. (vibration on)

Well put RaptorSA :D

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Oh, and do have a look at the 360/ps3 stickied thread at the top of the page for a couple of chuckles... ;)

RaptorSA

Expert Member
P.S. The Xbox now allows for DivX playback too, if that's your kind of thing. I've tested it with some .WMV HD clips the other day, and even with a fairly crappy wireless signal in the living room it still buffers and streams like a charm. Remember you can also play music (on the HDD or over the network) while playing games, it helps with those long winded titles like Oblivion or GTA :)

NOTE: The DivX codec supports only DivX version 5 and up.

Last edited:

FnuckNut

Banned
P.S. The Xbox now allows for DivX playback too, if that's your kind of thing. I've tested it with some .WMV HD clips the other day, and even with a fairly crappy wireless signal in the living room it still buffers and streams like a charm. Remember you can also play music (on the HDD or over the network) while playing games, it helps with those long winded titles like Oblivion or GTA :)

NOTE: The DivX codec supports only DivX version 5 and up.

Same for the ps3
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/17/sony-details-ps3-firmware-2-50-upgrades-divx-vod-support-av-tw/
http://www.divx.com/company/press/press_detail.php?pr_id=272