Helping a friend look for a budget TV

AdamGamerX

Hi
So my brother is looking for a new TV, preferably 49" in size. He's on a tight budget. After browsing around. It looks like most Sinotec fit his budget. Any suggest on Sinotec sets that have above average picture quality?

Hero4663

Hi
So my brother is looking for a new TV, preferably 49" in size. He's on a tight budget. After browsing around. It looks like most Sinotec fit his budget. Any suggest on Sinotec sets that have above average picture quality?

Hey. I had a 40” Sinotec FHD TV for 5 years and my LED’s got shot. The picture quality however was good and yes they are reasonably priced. I would suggest that your brother check out the Hisense as well. It’s better to go in store and see the difference between the two and find the best deal online. Hisense is a better brand than Sinotec and maybe a little more but is user friendly.

AdamGamerX

Hey. I had a 40” Sinotec FHD TV for 5 years and my LED’s got shot. The picture quality however was good and yes they are reasonably priced. I would suggest that your brother check out the Hisense as well. It’s better to go in store and see the difference between the two and find the best deal online. Hisense is a better brand than Sinotec and maybe a little more but is user friendly.
Noted. And I did the same thing when buying my TV. I went to the store to look at the picture quality first hand before buying.

Adhvik

I would go for this on by Takealot esp with the long warranty. Also check out Aim by PicknPay which offers 2 years warranty

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I bought my 55" UHD Smart Sinotech in July 2017 for R5950 and it is a brilliant entry level TV
Except for the smart part, absolute kak, stuck on Kit Kat 4.4.2 and cannot upgrade further so 98% of Apps dont work

But that doesnt bother me, the picture is not bad at all considering the price.

Yes I will buy Sinotech again as it comes with a 1 year warranty and a 5 year on the LCD.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
His budget is 6.5k and he said he saw a few around that price range.
That's eina for the Sinotec...
Rather get this:
or this

Plenty out there in his budget

AdamGamerX

That's eina for the Sinotec...
Rather get this:
or this

Plenty out there in his budget
Isn't Sanusi an inferior brand quality wise? From the ones I've seen in the past, they don't stand out. But we'll give them a look as well. Maybe things have changed since then.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
What is that 55" UHD TV that PnP sells, that everyone on here was raving about, was it the Skyworth one for R4500?

gottagoon

Executive Member
Here is the thing with LCD TVs. I'm no expert on them as I do CRT but I've learned from guy's that do LCD.....

LCD TVs actual screen doesn't pack up provided it's not dropped etc..

The LED backlights do. So you've no display. Everything dark. Very common failure. Manufacturers run the LED backlights at max brightness for a nice picture. The LEDs are in series. If one fails your screen goes dark with no picture.

A tech was telling me that 99% of their LCD repairs are backlight failure. And they easy to fix. The hard part is stripping the set down to get to the backlight array.

Lot's of screws and clips etc. If you're careful it's easy. Than he simply checks for the failed LED or LEDs and replaces them by cutting them out and soldiering new ones in...........

Not ideal, but it's cheap. Some manufacturers like LG only sell complete backlight strips and they are expensive.

CRT compared to LCD or other flat screens are much more reliable. I've worked on sets that are 20 years old and the tubes still look like new :cool:

B-1

Expert Member
You can get the Hisense 49B5200PT for R5k on specials quite often as another option. Not a smart TV though.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi
I have both a Sinotec and a Hisense. The Sinotec is now close on 10 years old. The Hisense is 5 years old.

The Hisense packed up just 3 months before the warranty expired and was repaired under warranty.

The Sinotec has not given a single days problems.

The Hisense model I have is the 49 ".

I strongly suggest that he makes sure the TV he selects has a DVBT2 tuner installed.

Broo

My MIL bought a TV from Chinatown here in Durban and i know it was quite cheap. Cannot remember the make. Been working for a few years now. Only problem it's a dumb TV but she has an Openview decoder and a laptop with a HDMI connection, not sure what else.