maybe use natural batteries, like hydro or molten salt. surely the brine from salt water desalination plants can be used for molten salt batteries, just extract the magnesium chloride, which can be used for something else again..It is a good idea, but it fails to mention several other issues...
1) The system basically has to be replaced every ten years (in an optimum scenario).
2) It takes more income away from Eskom and local municipalities thereby further endangering their economic viability.
3) If it incorporates a battry backup system, then it can take up some space and also increases insurance risk due to possible fire risk.
4) Theft of solar panels and electrical equipment is a high possibility in South Africa
5) Governments around the world have shown a higher propensity to tax such installations (due to decreased income) rather than subsidise such installations. In fact, Cape Town is trying to do this very thing, but requiring registration and licensing.
sounds like a whole lot of industry around it