Here’s an idea to beat load-shedding - instead of bailing out Eskom, subsidise solar power

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
They bit the e-toll scheme Hook line and sinker.
Even if it falls flat on there noses....again. at least every resident will be self efficient by then
e-Tolls promised our so called officials unimaginable wealth and prosperity but fortunately (for us) it fell flat on it's face. Nevermind though, that genius government of ours will dream up another crackpot, population fleecing scheme soon enough. Got to give them kudos for their persistence.

eg2505

Honorary Master
e-Tolls promised our so called officials unimaginable wealth and prosperity but fortunately (for us) it fell flat on it's face. Nevermind though, that genius government of ours will dream up another crackpot, population fleecing scheme soon enough. Got to give them kudos for their persistence.
what about a tax on swimming pools or domestic workers?
or a bigger tax on cellphones and airtime?

sure they can come up with something.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
what about a tax on swimming pools or domestic workers?
or a bigger tax on cellphones and airtime?

sure they can come up with something.
That's too obvious, even the slow minded should smell a rat. I could be wrong about some of the slow minded though, never underestimate or overestimate their intelligence.

eg2505

Honorary Master
That's too obvious, even the slow minded should smell a rat. I could be wrong about some of the slow minded though, never underestimate or overestimate their intelligence.
obvious, Etolls weren't obvious enough? so why not go full retard, and tax swimming pools, or if your car is German?
I mean the government needs money, and obviously people are buying generators now, so why not tax that?

I mean like any good dictatorship, we need something ridiculous to tax people on,

why not tax people on cyril/zuma/ANC autobiography, and force everybody to buy a copy?

many many ways to tax people, sugar tax was just the start, soon generators will have a tax,
and UPS/powerwall systems, and soon even buying a car battery, will have a "electricity" tax on it.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Here’s an idea to beat load-shedding - instead of bailing out Eskom, subsidise solar power

Instead of giving Eskom a bailout to cover its R419-billion debt, a cheaper and more sustainable solution is to create a rebate or incentivised photovoltaic solar programme for residential electricity consumers.

“You can implement that within six months and have no more load-shedding,” Rubicon sales director Greg Blandford told MyBroadband.
You know they already did this right? Stopped the last rebates about 2 years ago.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
You know they already did this right? Stopped the last rebates about 2 years ago.
Not to my knowledge?

When did they have rebates for solar pv?

There were rebates for solar hw, but not pv as far as i was aware, otherwise I'd have applied for them!

Do all yourselves a favour and have a look at the Electricity scene in the Great -- "Down-Under"
You may be surprised to discover that the scenario there is very similar to SA
You may also be able to work out what the common denominator is ... ( not too difficult )

For those South Africans not ALREADY in Australia

Highest Electricity prices in the World

( Interesting -- SA does not even feature )

Mostly Working -- Australia's Wholesale Electricity Market

Elon Musk and Australia Sixty Minutes

( Interesting this one as it explains the Tesla Power Wall in Southern Australia )

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Not to my knowledge?

When did they have rebates for solar pv?

There were rebates for solar hw, but not pv as far as i was aware, otherwise I'd have applied for them!
Yeah it might have been for hot water only, but the companies I approached about solar pretty much would apply the rebate against the whole installation. It was a flat rebate anyway irrespective of how much your installation was.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah it might have been for hot water only, but the companies I approached about solar pretty much would apply the rebate against the whole installation. It was a flat rebate anyway irrespective of how much your installation was.
Nope.. They would only apply the rebate to the geyser section...it was a rebate to a value for each size of geyser... And it was implemented poorly.. All it really did was double the price of solar geysers... So the companies made the rebate plus their standard profit margin.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
obvious, Etolls weren't obvious enough? so why not go full retard, and tax swimming pools, or if your car is German?
I mean the government needs money, and obviously people are buying generators now, so why not tax that?

I mean like any good dictatorship, we need something ridiculous to tax people on,

why not tax people on cyril/zuma/ANC autobiography, and force everybody to buy a copy?

many many ways to tax people, sugar tax was just the start, soon generators will have a tax,
and UPS/powerwall systems, and soon even buying a car battery, will have a "electricity" tax on it.
I hope nobody in power reads these posts because we'll live to regret it. Mind you, we don't have to worry about that, because those palookas can't read anyway :laugh:

Swa

Honorary Master
They shouldn’t have a problem losing profits/income as that shouldn’t be their target in the first place.

Their purpose it to produce power.
Eskom is running at a loss so profit is the last thing being spoken about. And you say they shouldn't have a problem with losing income?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Eskom is running at a loss so profit is the last thing being spoken about. And you say they shouldn't have a problem with losing income?
If they were running properly, no it shouldn’t be a problem.

Because they would produce less to provide less.