Here’s an idea to beat load-shedding - instead of bailing out Eskom, subsidise solar power

Drake2007

Expert Member
Here's how to Beat Load-Shedding:
Every time the Eskom CEO or board or whoever switch power off, they lose a percentage of their bonuses.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Force Eskom to sell 25% of their stations to a 2nd market player. Migrate everybody to prepaid

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Fat chance - they're apparently so poor they can't even afford to buy micro-stock.

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 18.01.01.png

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
in less than 15 days, the embargoes start again, until they get their tarriff increase...

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
I agree on both points. My issue is that solar power should be done at large scale, and based in the Kalahari, and where the sun shines regularly, not in CT, Jhb or coastal areas. Also, concentrated solar power gives better load balancing than PV panels.
ENHANCED Geo-thermal ( EGS ) is even better

American GeoSciences Institute ( AGI ) EGS

CSP -- using heliostats is also now old tech

Council for GeoScience are busy with some deep drilling near Beaufort West ( still with the fracking nonsense )

Karoo Deep Drilling Project

I asked for some information on how things were going -- STILL waiting for a reply !

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
It is a good idea, but it fails to mention several other issues...

1) The system basically has to be replaced every ten years (in an optimum scenario).
2) It takes more income away from Eskom and local municipalities thereby further endangering their economic viability.
3) If it incorporates a battry backup system, then it can take up some space and also increases insurance risk due to possible fire risk.
4) Theft of solar panels and electrical equipment is a high possibility in South Africa
5) Governments around the world have shown a higher propensity to tax such installations (due to decreased income) rather than subsidise such installations. In fact, Cape Town is trying to do this very thing, but requiring registration and licensing.
6) Etc.
7, There are not enough solar panels available to complete this project in 6 months.