Here’s how many South Africans are graduating with computer science degrees

Urist

Expert Member
growing gap = growing demand = bigger salary. :thumbsup:
Is this adjusted for emigration? an RPM poll shows that around half of mybb forumites are planning to emigrate... It might be fairly representative of the sector.

cguy

Executive Member
According to Adrian Schofield of the Institute of Information Technology Professionals South Africa (IITPSA), the country’s education system is not geared to deliver high-end ICT skills at the scale needed.
More like the country isn’t geared to hire high end skills. Both pay and opportunities are lacking.

cguy

Executive Member
growing gap = growing demand = bigger salary. :thumbsup:
Is this adjusted for emigration? an RPM poll shows that around half of mybb forumites are planning to emigrate... It might be fairly representative of the sector.
Yup, the poll is very representative I expect. Even in the 90’s most of my honours class left.

On your first point, the concern is that if the demand gets high enough, the demand will move to where there is supply. Brain drain is very seldom a long term advantage for anyone on the “drained” side.

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
More like the country isn’t geared to hire high end skills. Both pay and opportunities are lacking.
Pretty much what I see.. I’m refocusing on getting abroad now as the local companies just aren’t worth it. Somewhere along the line it seem local companies figured they can ask for a lot but pay lesser than abroad.

Meh.. if you make someone jump through hoops but salary is 1/3rd to 1/5th of the international.. good luck with that **** . I’d rather prep for a jump abroad as there your experience actually counts for something.

So yah.. I’d not want to be a grad dev right now (I think it’s like 2007/8) with global economy grinding to a halt but there are opportunities.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Pretty much what I see.. I’m refocusing on getting abroad now as the local companies just aren’t worth it. Somewhere along the line it seem local companies figured they can ask for a lot but pay lesser than abroad.

Meh.. if you make someone jump through hoops but salary is 1/3rd to 1/5th of the international.. good luck with that **** . I’d rather prep for a jump abroad as there your experience actually counts for something.

So yah.. I’d not want to be a grad dev right now (I think it’s like 2007/8) with global economy grinding to a halt but there are opportunities.
Are you an employee?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Here’s how many South Africans are graduating with computer science degrees

The number of students studying computer science degrees at South African universities has remained relatively flat over the last four years and points to a growing gap in the country's ICT sector.
While the article states:
undergraduate degree in Computer and Information Science
Bcom in Information systems != Bsc in computer science, they're different career paths.

Urist

Expert Member
While the article states:

Bcom in Information systems != Bsc in computer science, they're different career paths.
You're right, but it's pretty much implied with the plural on degrees.. bsc IT, bsc computing, bcom IT, bsc inf, etc.

The Voice

Executive Member
How valuable is the Bsc, compared to a combination of equivalent level certs and work experience over the time it takes you to complete the degree?

cguy

Executive Member
How valuable is the Bsc, compared to a combination of equivalent level certs and work experience over the time it takes you to complete the degree?
For software development, there really aren’t equivalent level certifications. Certifications are typically for different types of work, and usually pretty specific work. Not to say that people with degrees, don’t end up doing such work - it just means that they’re not fully exercising their qualifications. It also doesn’t mean that the person with the degree will be better at doing this type of work.

As for experience, it’s almost never a good trade off to choose experience over qualifications. After 10 years, the person with a degree will typically have 7 years experience doing work that requires and/or utilizes a degree. The person without the degree will typically have 10 years of experience doing work that doesn’t require and/or utilize a degree. I.e., The amount of experience differential quickly shrinks, but the type of experience differential is usually permanent.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What are you trying to get into? Very heavily dependent on the job you're trying to get, and how you sell yourself will also be very important.
As a general rule of thumb though, I'd say degree, as it teaches you to think, the certs and experience are only intended to give you the answer to the problem, not teach you how to think to solve the problem.
That's not to say that anyone without the degree is useless or something, there are tons who have cert + experience that would be able to run rings around a person with a degree, but overall the degree should be better in the long term.

The issue with the degree for me is always how does one know if one likes the industry that one's going into unless one's been there, and once you're in industry you're usually already independent so you can't go back to study.
I know quite a few people, including my brother, who finished their degree, went into the working environment and realized how totally different it was and that they hated it and left that sector.

The Voice

Executive Member
For software development, there really aren’t equivalent level certifications. Certifications are typically for different types of work, and usually pretty specific work. Not to say that people with degrees, don’t end up doing such work - it just means that they’re not fully exercising their qualifications. It also doesn’t mean that the person with the degree will be better at doing this type of work.

As for experience, it’s almost never a good trade off to choose experience over qualifications. After 10 years, the person with a degree will typically have 7 years experience doing work that requires and/or utilizes a degree. The person without the degree will typically have 10 years of experience doing work that doesn’t require and/or utilize a degree. The amount of experience differential quickly shrinks, but the type of experience differential is usually permanent.
Ok cheers. Always wondered which was more worthwhile: going straight to work after school, getting certs along the way as well as experience, vs going to university, and how marketable both would be.

cguy

Executive Member
Ok cheers. Always wondered which was more worthwhile: going straight to work after school, getting certs along the way as well as experience, vs going to university, and how marketable both would be.
Sure. Also note, that my comment has an “all things being equal” assumption - a non-academically inclined person forcing themselves to do a degree is also a bad idea, and a certificate would probably be a better option for them.