Here are all the bank branches that will let you get your Smart ID or passport

Apogee

DHA's public branches are swamps of inefficiency and couldn't-care-less attitudes, not to mention safety risks, so go to the bank branches if you can.

One client waited in line this week at Centurion from 07H15, and she only got her turn at the counter at 17H00 to replace a stolen passport.

No public toilets either.

Last edited:

mojoman

Expert Member
DHA's public branches are a complete mess, so go to the bank branches if you can.

One client waited in line this week at Centurion from 07H15, and she only got her turn at the counter at 17H00 to replace a stolen passport.

Usual South African efficiency....

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
This is really pathetic, but then with the current inept, corrupt government, no surprises

Mister 45

Executive Member
Each time one of these articles pop up, my first thought is why FNB Burgersfort is on the list when much larger branches aren't.

Bighit

Expert Member
DHA's public branches are swamps of inefficiency and couldn't-care-less attitudes, not to mention safety risks, so go to the bank branches if you can.

Try being at home affairs and then you get 14th in the front and then they close the doors. This was 3 weeks ago in Stellenbosch. But, the staff who were there were working hard, it's just that half of the staff were on sick leave.

DearHeart

Expert Member
"Home Affairs centres in bank branches don’t have this problem."

I spent several hours to register my elderly neighbor on the system, tried various times during the day with the same dismal results. I eventually managed to book a time slot for him at Absa, Keywest, Krugersdorp. When he arrived at the branch yesterday morning, he was turned away because the system was offline.

Jaxter

All the bank branches where you can get your Smart ID or passport

Several E-Home Affairs branches in South Africa let banking customers get their smart ID card or passport without having to stand in the winding queues or face the infamous " system is offline" issue at conventional Department of Home Affairs (DHA) branches.

DA MP Adrian Roos recently revealed the root cause of downtime at Home Affairs branches.
Unfortunately, DHA discriminates citizens. I am a naturalised SA citizen with 2 previous passports but unable to renew or obtain a new passport as only SA born citizens can register on the DHA website! Now what?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Unfortunately, DHA discriminates citizens. I am a naturalised SA citizen with 2 previous passports but unable to renew or obtain a new passport as only SA born citizens can register on the DHA website! Now what?
agreed, their systems are broken, slow and inefficient, but that's what you get for being in Africa, I guess ID tattoos are not an option?

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
This does not look like all of it. FNB Cornubia is not there :unsure:
Yeah we also found it curious it wasn't in the DHA's list.

Maybe it was destroyed in the looting?

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
"Home Affairs centres in bank branches don’t have this problem."

I spent several hours to register my elderly neighbor on the system, tried various times during the day with the same dismal results. I eventually managed to book a time slot for him at Absa, Keywest, Krugersdorp. When he arrived at the branch yesterday morning, he was turned away because the system was offline.
Thanks for relating your story. Helps us see what's happening on the ground.

Within the context of the article, it was talking about the fact that most Home Affairs offices don't have backup connectivity options. When the singular 2Mbps DSL connection they have goes down, the whole office is offline.

Banks don't have that problem.

However, it is still possible for HANIS to go down or some other IT-related issue to cause a system outage.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
It was here:
Pretty sure they copy-pasted from a previous list. We went to the DHA website.

Either that or the DHA website hadn't yet reflected in June that Cornubia was offline due to the looting.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
It's easier to just go to a small town and get your ID or passport there.

I did mine in Humansdorp.

Reactions: Jan