Here are all the bank branches that will let you get your Smart ID or passport

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It's easier to just go to a small town and get your ID or passport there.

I did mine in Humansdorp.
When? What were the queues like? The misses and eldest need theirs.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Do you have to be a customer of the specific bank before you can use them for ID / passports?

That was the case last time I used Home Affairs e-service

and you could only pay online from specific banks as well, no credit card option, only EFT with Capitec excluded

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
When? What were the queues like? The misses and eldest need theirs.
1 October. I got my SMS to collect on the 18th. I got there at around 15:00 and left at 15:40. There were no queues outside and only about 5 or 6 people inside.

I'd advise to go on a Friday afternoon as most people have better things to do than to sit at home affairs.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Do you have to be a customer of the specific bank before you can use them for ID / passports?

and you could only pay online from specific banks as well, no credit card option, only EFT with Capitec excluded

Yes, need to pay with the bank you want to book at.

Stuey74

Unfortunately, DHA discriminates citizens. I am a naturalised SA citizen with 2 previous passports but unable to renew or obtain a new passport as only SA born citizens can register on the DHA website! Now what?
This very relevant part always gets left out of these articles.

DearHeart

Expert Member

Now that is an interesting question that I've been pondering, I do not have an Absa account but it suggests an Absa branch automatically in my town. There doesn't seem to be any verification to see if you have an account at a particular bank. I will be highly surprised if they have access to the various banks to verify that you have an account at the bank.

Pegasus

Executive Member

Open a savings account, wait a few months and then close it after you have your ID.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Open a savings account, wait a few months and then close it after you have your ID.

Was they reason I opened and FNB Easy account, to get my smart ID in 2016, still have the account since what is R5pm really? Use it for other things.

Swa

Honorary Master
Really all you need for this is a camera. They should just turn all the SAPO branches into home affairs offices.

Swa

Honorary Master
DHA's public branches are swamps of inefficiency and couldn't-care-less attitudes, not to mention safety risks, so go to the bank branches if you can.

One client waited in line this week at Centurion from 07H15, and she only got her turn at the counter at 17H00 to replace a stolen passport.

No public toilets either.
Well there's the problem. I don't know why everyone wants to queue at these "big" branches and then are surprised when it's full.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
ugh, I already have a zombie account floating in the ether with FNB, Nedbank and Standard Bank, they all still send me statements from time to time even though they were officially closed

wouldn't want to add more to the mix, although it might be worth a shot to just try my closed account(s) :unsure:

Swa

Honorary Master
Cause that's the Home Affairs where they live?
Most people live in the city and not one of the smaller towns surrounding it? Most people just go to the main branches because it's convenient when they're working. You find this problem everywhere and not just at HA.

BCR

Expert Member
TG already got my smart ID & SA passport valid 'til 2025, from memory (locked away so not double-checking now).

Leftfoot

Expert Member
This is one of my big issues. I’ve been a citizen here for over 51 year but I can’t renew my ID or passport online because I was born elsewhere. Why!? It’s illogical!