Here are all the big DStv changes of 2020

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here are all the big DStv changes of 2020

South Africa's biggest pay-TV broadcaster - DStv - has made a number of changes to its products and services in 2020.

These changes come as many affluent and middle-class South African households are adopting Internet-based streaming services over broadcasted television entertainment due to increased availability of fibre and video-on-demand services.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
DSTV subscribers must be thrilled.

(Just not as much as the cancellers)

Kola_CT

Expert Member
If they want to make a really positive change they will just close down.

I didn’t know there are still people who care wtf they do.

daveza

Honorary Master
Came here looking for less repeats of filler programs, less endless repeats of nauseating ads, a streaming website that reports accurate information... maybe I missed that somewhere.

skusku

""...there will be an ecommerce-like sign-up process which asks customers to choose between a satellite or streaming offering. "

So what I am still unsure of is: Customers are currently able to watch over satellite and they can stream as well over the app. When this streaming only service starts, will one be able to view over satellite and also stream or will one have to choose between either option?

haroldj

Every couple days they make an announcement about changes to dstv, its still old same old, same old news, just repeated over and over again like it is something new, no real change overall, you still going to pay the same premium package price, but get to choose the medium you receive it, so what's the draw card to entice me to sign up, every time I read the so-called update hoping that it is something new and maybe cheaper, but no it is just a repeat of the August 19 announcement, just get a vpn and sign up to the 10 dollar Peacock channel.

Ashez7

DSTV has quite few south africans by the ballz and I will not be one of them again. Cancelled happily unless they drop the prices which is not going to happen then I will return.

ian16th

It dropped two popular UK-based channels – ITV Choice and BBC First.

That was the straw that broke the camels back for me!
These were the two channels watched most in our house!

konfab

Honorary Master
Curious how the expropriation of DSTV's sports channels hasn't been mentioned.

Stokstert

Executive Member
New decoder, still without channel display. Same rubbish over and over.

ZainAjam

As a standalone service that costs almost R1000 per month per account, the limit on 2 simultaneous streams needs to be increased. If I am going to subscribe for my household, I need 4 simultaneous streams at least. I subscribe to other streaming services at much lower cost and get unlimited streams.

Now I understand that this is live tv and not an on demand streaming service but If streaming is just another access method, I should be able to give my whole family access without it being only available to the first two people who stream

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
As a standalone service that costs almost R1000 per month per account, the limit on 2 simultaneous streams needs to be increased. If I am going to subscribe for my household, I need 4 simultaneous streams at least. I subscribe to other streaming services at much lower cost and get unlimited streams.

Now I understand that this is live tv and not an on demand streaming service but If streaming is just another access method, I should be able to give my whole family access without it being only available to the first two people who stream
Or R169(?) for netflix uhd/4k