Here are all your Discovery medical aid price hikes for 2020

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Nice how they can just increase by cpi+4% but folks salaries are only increased at CPI nominally, what a joke.

diapason

Expert Member
At least u get all the vitality "benefits" and "free" stuff. Trololol
Someone has to pay for the costs of launching a bank.
Those are totally unrelated to the medical aid. All are separate companies with their own company registration numbers and, by law, are operated separately. If you don't want Vitality or the bank, no-one is forcing you to take those.

konfab

Honorary Master
Nice how they can just increase by cpi+4% but folks salaries are only increased at CPI nominally, what a joke.
The CPI calculation in this country is a joke. Actually it is a joke in most countries.

krycor

Honorary Master
Those are totally unrelated to the medical aid. All are separate companies with their own company registration numbers and, by law, are operated separately. If you don't want Vitality or the bank, no-one is forcing you to take those.
So this is true but also not the entire picture. While medical aids are not for profit per say.. the administration there of is and if i recall correctly thats where it's often said to be more pricy. Not sure about this round though..

diapason

Expert Member
So this is true but also not the entire picture. While medical aids are not for profit per say.. the administration there of is and if i recall correctly thats where it's often said to be more pricy. Not sure about this round though..
Correct. The administrators are a separate for profit company. I think nowadays it accounts for around 10 or 11 percent of your premiums - used to be around 14%.

I think many people imagine that the admin is a major cash cow whereas it covers an awful lot of expenses.

diapason

Expert Member
Medical costs are not totally related to CPI. They are affected by things like increased demand from an ageing population while the younger folk are reluctant join until absolutely necessary thereby destroying the effects of cross-subsidisation.

Something else people don't take into account is that some costs are imported, ie affected by the exchange rate.

And then, there's the real biggie. Most people want the latest available treatments for whatever ails them and will even go to the press if their medical aid says No. Well, guess what! That latest treatment/technology (probably imported) doesn't go up by 4% pa just because our CPI is in that region. That new treatment maybe costs 300%+ of the previous version. Who is supposed to pay for that?

I know that no-one wants larger than inflation increases in their premiums, but then you need to moderate your expectations, or just pay up. You can't have it both ways.

diapason

Expert Member
How do I cancel vitality? I can't find any info on the site

I think you need to contact them directly. They probably don't allow online cancellation because of the number of people who have this deducted by their employers along with their med aid subs. If that is the situation with you then your employer needs to do the cancellation.