Here are the rocks sold to Eskom as coal

REAList_1

This is fraud with a lot of coordination between perpetrators.
What is nowhere mentioned is the fines Eskom can hit the suppliers with.
Oh, and they have testing laboratories on all the power stations.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Nothing will happen with the perpetrators. They all have a finger in the pie, the suppliers; Eskom and all the cadres. All of them are enjoying the ride on the gravy train. The people that are paying the price are all of us.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Good lord, if we were not in such a precarious position I'd laugh.

People need to be fined and/or jailed for this.

gamer16

Honorary Master
This is fraud with a lot of coordination between perpetrators.
What is nowhere mentioned is the fines Eskom can hit the suppliers with.
Oh, and they have testing laboratories on all the power stations.
Some of the suppliers are distributors that source from various mines, a good number of these distributors are owned by Eskom executives and or politicians. As a result appropriate procurement practices and set processes will not be adhered to, the Eskom executive will ensure his company supplying can charge above normal rates as he will expedite its approval and as we discovered they will also ensure non conforming sub standard coal will be signed off for by Eskom QC.

Lining their pockets so they can line their other pockets and screw everyone else right up the arse.

The same thing is happening for all sorts of other service providers Eskom makes use of, construction and maintenance being the most significant ones.

REAList_1

Oh, and I should have mentioned the truck loads come from the small cadre owned open cast minipits. Dubious coal quality, volumes and everything else......
The big contract mines deliver their coal via conveyor belts.

Last edited:

richjdavies

Oh, and I should have mentioned the truck loads come from the small cadre owned open cast minipits. Dubious coal quality, volumes and everything else......
The big contract mines deliver their coal via conveyor belts.
Except for Majuna power station.
Spot on exactly. The power plants were built on top of coal mines - any trucks at all mean the whole point of these tied mines/plant has gone off course.

What is scary is that coal really is hardly worth more than rocks!! 80usd/tonne market price is made up of a lot of transport to the dock...

The real price Eskom pays for the actual coal is only around $25. The trucking costs much more than the coal...
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/companies/energy/2018-07-17-eskom-to-splurge-on-trucking-coal-to-power-stations/

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Just give them 2nd chance (to deliver coal) lol.

I do believe these fraudsters needs some jail time... but alas... ANC Cadres are protected species.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Not sure if its bad reporting, but this 'quotation' is almost as disturbing as the main allegation:
An Eskom engineer working at a power station confirmed that poor-quality coal which contains rocks caused serious damage to their equipment.

He added that in December, four of the six turbines at the power station he works at were seized up because of this problem.
I always thought turbines were driven by steam from the boilers. How do the rocks get into the turbines? Do they not screen the coal before it goes into the crusher? Must have been asleep in my engineering lectures. (sarcasm)

ab-user

Not sure if its bad reporting, but this 'quotation' is almost as disturbing as the main allegation:

I always thought turbines were driven by steam from the boilers. How do the rocks get into the turbines? Do they not screen the coal before it goes into the crusher? Must have been asleep in my engineering lectures. (sarcasm)
Despite the seriousness of the rock problem, it has merely become a handy excuse to hide other shortcomings/ wrongdoing behind