Here are the 'wrong' illustrations that got six Dr. Seuss books cancelled

SoldierMan

Expert Member

Here are the 'wrong' illustrations that got six Dr. Seuss books cancelled

Two of the six permanently pulled from publication currently rank as the world's best-selling children's books

Dr. Seuss Enterprises, the official manager of books published under the moniker Dr. Seuss, announced Tuesday that it will no longer be publishing six Dr. Seuss titles because they “portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong.”

The most popular of the six titles are 1950’s If I Ran the Zoo and the 1937 book And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, which was the first children’s book published under the Dr. Seuss name by author Theodor Seuss Geisel. As of March 2, which also happens to be the author’s birthday, both books remained in the top 10 most popular children’s titles on Amazon.com.

The other titles no longer being published are McElligot’s Pool, On Beyond Zebra!, Scrambled Eggs Super!, and The Cat’s Quizzer, which were all released between 1947 and 1976.

Dr. Seuss Enterprises did not specify which illustrations were offensive, but four of the titles contain cartoon depictions of Asian people, while three contain stereotypical portrayals of Inuit.

If I Ran the Zoo features a young boy imagining a hunting expedition to the fictional land of Zomba-ma-tant where locals “wear their eyes at a slant.” Other pages also show the “African island of Yerka,” featuring squat African tribesmen with large hoops through their noses.

More

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Nope cancel culture isn't an issue at all.

Apparently the books that have been cancelled are up in sales on Amazon by a million % or something ridiculous.

Reactions: ES1

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Oh well, at least none of them are racist as racism is only committed against "the black people."

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Why not cancel these books whilst having some arb "think tank" put out completely fake and unrealistic views of white people (like individuality is bad; independence is bad; striving for success is bad).

Need to get 2 copies each of these books for my kids then! They don't see the same issues these snowflakes do. To them they're just books.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
This is absolutely dehumanising. Frikking insane that people in this thread are saying the world has gone to schit since society now finds these things problematic. WTF are you people on? What do you lose from your life if this crap goes away, literally what?

Also: since it's all "cancel culture" and "reverse racism" ...please show me an example of white people portrayed this way.

abzob

Honorary Master
This is absolutely dehumanising. Frikking insane that people in this thread are saying the world has gone to schit since society now finds these things problematic. WTF are you people on? What do you lose from your life if this crap goes away, literally what?

Also: since it's all "cancel culture" and "reverse racism" ...please show me an example of white people portrayed this way.

What do you mean white people portrayed this way? White people are “normal”.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Terrible moustache for a Nazi.

I suppose white people in general are just better than other races at not giving a ****.

"I don't give a **** what you think" is only true if you really really don't care.

Coca Cola should add this to their internal training program: Be less white, start giving a ****

:whistling:

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer

Lol, you want to try being Scottish mate. I wonder if you batted an eyelid at Mike Myers playing Fat Bastrd in Austin Powers? You probably just laughed as I did, yet I'm Scottish born and bred and I laughed my arse off.

Or how about Shrek? I suppose if he had a black African accent there would be riots and stores being burned down? Again, I laughed as I did when my son's school friends started calling me Shrek because of my accent.

Please detail your outrage here. Thanks.

Iwojima

Expert Member

You realize that is a cartoon by Seuss during the height of anti-Japanese sentiment in 1942 (during WW2) and not the content in question being banned, correct?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I suppose white people in general are just better than other races at not giving a ****.

"I don't give a **** what you think" is only true if you really really don't care.

Coca Cola should and this to their internal training program: Be less white, start giving a ****

:whistling:

Exactly. Think of the million times you've seen caricatures or sketches or movies or cartoons with Scots with ginger hair in kilts squeezing a cat instead of bagpipes, stuck up English posh dudes with top hats and monocles, thin mustached French onion sellers with stripy jersey's a beret etc etc etc. What is the difference here with these sketches?

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Lol, you want to try being Scottish mate. I wonder if you batted an eyelid at Mike Myers playing Fat Bastrd in Austin Powers? You probably just laughed as I did, yet I'm Scottish born and bred and I laughed my arse off.

Or how about Shrek? I suppose if he had a black African accent there would be riots and stores being burned down? Again, I laughed as I did when my son's school friends started calling me Shrek because of my accent.

Please detail your outrage here. Thanks.
Hehe. I am well aware of both examples given that my mentor is a Glaswegian hardcase of some notoriety. I think the difference is that fat bastards are not a Scottish stereotype nor is being green and farting. I totally accept that these are examples insensitivity but in the cartoon posted here the Japanese are shown as something less than human, they almost look like ants or some other insect given to infestations.

Ay cannae take it. Ah'm ur fsckin scunnered with these racist dobbers.