Here is how easy it is to buy an illegal SIM in South Africa

rustypup

Expert Member
then why stick with it?
Bureaucracies exist for their own benefit. Not yours.

You will be treated like criminal/incompetent scum until you have made every effort to prove you are not, citizen.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
RICA is being bypassed because it's unworkable. The proof of address requirement is particularly difficult for many people in a country where the majority of people live in a shack in the middle of nowhere.

konfab

Honorary Master
If you want the slam dunk:

How many people have actually been convicted for a crime because of evidence that the RICA process required people to capture?

Apogee

There are also hidden hazards, which no-one tells you about during the RICA process.

The last time I RICA'd a SIM at Pick 'n Pay, the cashier lady took one look at my ID book and said: "You are still young, I can date you!"

I laughed at what I presumed to be a joke, only to find out later she was serious.

She kept on asking me when we are going out, and making comments about me to her co-workers who laughed, every time I shopped there.

Now I know how girls must feel like when they get unwanted attention from guys.

system32

Expert Member
Wasn't RICA declared unconstitutional and suspended in Sept 2019?
Why do we need to register if the act is illegal?

CeeBee

Expert Member
The RICA system is broken and also being circumvented by the mobile companies themselves. The MTN example proves that.
What a joke...
PS: At last a proper piece of investigative journalism I might add.
buying a sim, even with personal docs is just one part... RICA is the problem
I can buy sims with my docs, and the cash register person goes through the motions to RICA, not a word of a problem.
come home, or to office, and try use the SIM, .... not RICAd....
find out why... because I already have 25 sims RICAd to my name, cannot do more.
now the sims are not all for me, as IT guy, I bought many prepaid sims for users to use in their laptop onboard modem, when not in office or near wifi, have small amount of data for when needed, or with Afrihost data.
so no1, I am not the user, so what is RICA worth?
then, many times MTN just decides out of the blue to deregister the SIM... they say it has to be used at least once every month or so to stay active... clearly data modem is not 'usage' ... but some sims have been deregistered within one or 2 weeks.
so have to get a new sim
but the dead sims do not get taken off my ID... so i cannot RICA new
MTN says go to store to take it off my name.... go to MTN shop, they just give me FU
so i sent wife and kids to buy and RICA... again RICA as useless as our favourite gogo

cavedog

Honorary Master

RonSwanson

Expert Member
so if its this easy and simple to bypass RICA, then why stick with it?

not accomplishing anything.
Because Interpol. Same with FICA. SA needs to be seen as playing an active role in worldwide crime reduction. RICA ticks the boxes so that our esteemed ministers and commissioners are not seen for the d00ses they are.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Now I'm wondering if these illegally RICA'ed SIM cards also get subscribed to WASPs (not that I care if criminals lose airtime to WASPs).

There are also hidden hazards, which no-one tells you about during the RICA process.

The last time I RICA'd a SIM at Pick 'n Pay, the cashier lady took one look at my ID book and said: "You are still young, I can date you!"

I laughed at what I presumed to be a joke, only to find out later she was serious.

She kept on asking me when we are going out, and making comments about me to her co-workers who laughed, every time I shopped there.

Now I know how girls must feel like when they get unwanted attention from guys.
Obvious solution to your problem: ask her if she has a brother that's single.

Last edited: