Here is why DStv with Netflix and Amazon Prime is a winning play

Romito

Expert Member
When has any product from Multichoice ever just been plug and play?:ROFL: It always installers, Heartbeat cables and special LNB's just to have 2 or 3 tv's in your house with DSTv?

They can really take a look at a Apple TV box or Android Tv to see how easy setup should be. Plug two cables in your TV and use your iPhone to setup your box. Not even necessary to type a single password if your phone can provide it to the Apple Tv.
I'm referring to the end user here obviously

j4ck455

Executive Member
MonoChoice should know by know what it can do with its proprietary decoders, more specifically where to shove those proprietary decoders.

For the TL;DR crowd: do not lock yourself into yet another MonoChoice decoder that only does what MonoChoice wants you to be able to do with it, despite paying a lot of money for the piece of crap.

envo

Expert Member
I, for one, don't want to give DSTV the power to become the gatekeeper to my netflix and amazon prime streaming services.

latro

What part of this is uncompetitive? And to who?

The answer you're looking for is right there in the article.
Commenting on MultiChoice’s future prospects, Verster said it is key for MultiChoice to be the gatekeeper for Netflix and Amazon in South Africa through its Explora decoder.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
No, just No. Will go from R120 a month for Netflix to R900 a month with DSTV included because its impossible to unbundle the 2

Charlesjjm

"By bundling streaming services with DStv, users will be forced to continue to pay their DStv subscription to keep their Netflix service."

What is this idiot smoking? I will not subscribe to DSTV to get Netflix.
piracy.jpg

kolaval

Executive Member
It all boils down to price in the end.

If it is affordable enough to pay one fee per month and have access to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc then why not?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What is this idiot smoking? I will not subscribe to DSTV to get Netflix.
I think this Jean Pierre Verster guy doesn't understand what's happening. First off he seems to think the only way to access streaming services is through a smart tv - thereby ignoring the plethora of boxes people currently use. Then he compounds his mistake by thinking people will lose their Netflix if they stop subscribing to DSTV. There is no way Netflix will force their subscribers to subscribe to DSTV.

Syphonx

Expert Member
The answer you're looking for is right there in the article.
Except Netflix and Amazon will not lock down their services to only work on DSTV decoders or only work with an active DSTV subscription.

Both of those companies are worth hundreds of billions of Dollars. MC can't afford buying their exclusivity, not that I think Amazon or Netflix would ever offer that for sale in the first place.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No thanks. Happy with Netflix and Youtube Premium et al. Just last night I watched a great documentary on Netflix.

Commenting on MultiChoice’s future prospects, Verster said it is key for MultiChoice to be the gatekeeper for Netflix and Amazon in South Africa through its Explora decoder.

“In South Africa, we do not have many smart TVs which connect directly to the Internet,” he said.
Lol most TV's being sold now is a smart TV and it's been so for a few years. Not to mention the zillion TV boxes, HTPC's and Raspberry Pi's.

system32

Expert Member
When is the new and improved Explorer Ultra and DStv Streama devices being launched / available to buy?

Asking for a friend

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
I think MC is targeting those less tech savvy consumers with this who obviously couldn't be bothered with the technical side of things, they just want to plug and play. It is however worrying that this could lead to competitors not being able to bundle those apps with their offerings should they wish to do so.
There is no exclusivity. Netflix and Amazon are bundled with nearly all smart TV's and media players.

Lupus

Honorary Master
This is uncompetitive behavior that the Competition Commission should seriouly look into. Dstv is a dying horse. I enjoy my streaming services from around the world and there is so much value for my bugs that I hardly have time for repititive horse such as Dstv. Viewers are cutting the cord wolrd wide and this satellite horse still clings to archaic technology.
Yup cutting the cord so much so that every one is jumping on the streaming bandwagon, now to get all your stuff you'll need to be signed up to different streaming channels just to watch their content. If only there was a way it could all be merged together and organised in an easy way to watch, for a decent price?

Lupus

Honorary Master
There is no exclusivity. Netflix and Amazon are bundled with nearly all smart TV's and media players.
Yup it's actually one of the ways TV prices have come down, due to Netflix and Amazon subsidising those TVs.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yup cutting the cord so much so that every one is jumping on the streaming bandwagon, now to get all your stuff you'll need to be signed up to different streaming channels just to watch their content. If only there was a way it could all be merged together and organised in an easy way to watch, for a decent price?
The beauty of streaming is you can cancel any time quickly.

Kola_CT

Like an Afrikaans friend would say... "Multichoice se hang bruin ballas."

• Haha
Reactions: Swa