Heroic dog saves family from armed robbers

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member

Pet insurer foots R60k medical bill for heroic dog that saved family from armed robbers​

More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...oic-dog-that-saved-family-from-armed-robbers/

This is a good story.

It would be nice if they could advance pet medical care actually. I lost my dog of 14-years last year due to kidney failure. Unfortunately we had no choice but to put her too sleep or have to see her suffer and eventually die.

I would have paid for a kidney transplant if it was possible.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
This is a good story.

It would be nice if they could advance pet medical care actually. I lost my dog of 14-years last year due to kidney failure. Unfortunately we had no choice but to put her too sleep or have to see her suffer and eventually die.

I would have paid for a kidney transplant if it was possible.
14x7=98 years old. Not to sound insensitive but how long would she have lived after the transplant? I don't think I would have the strength to put a dog down, somebody would have to do it for me. My jack russell is peeing a lot (or at least going through the motions), hope that isn't kidney failure! Other than that she seems fine, she killed a mole today, most days it's just geckos.

Thor

Honorary Master
They shot the terrorist nice.

Need more good stories like these where criminals dies.

tcofran

Expert Member
Great that the dog ended up alive.

Dogs show you what true unconditional love is. They literally will take a bullet for you if you raise them well. They all have their own personalities but most mirror the way they were brought up.
This actually brought a tear to my eye.

The unconditional love part, and the way they were raised

Doggos are awesome

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
, and the way they were raised

True, lol. I remember my first dog. A border collie cross. He was an absolute terror and mental, he didn't seem to respect us as much as we loved him. He still did love us because he was fiercely protective when strangers came.

Looking back, it was probably our fault he turned out that way. We over-spoilt him and were too soft. It's good to to spoil your dogs and treat them well but it's imperative that you do exercise some sternness in the puppy stage when they go out of line by running after the car, behaving inappropriately etc just to ensure that they have respect for you.

If you let those habits persist for a long time, it's very difficult to stop them.

Other than that, our other three dogs were angels.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I don't think I would have the strength to put a dog down, somebody would have to do it for me. My jack russell is peeing a lot (or at least going through the motions), hope that isn't kidney failure! Other than that she seems fine, she killed a mole today, most days it's just geckos.

I didn't want to put the dog down either but in the end I let my mother make the decision. The dog looked for and followed my mother around the whole day and seemed to see her as the leader of the pack. I just put my emotions aside and thought to myself that if the dog had to chose, she would probably have wanted my mother to make this kind of decision on her behalf and not me.

With regards to your concern, kidney failure can be very hard to notice. My dog was fairly fine until the last week of her life when she deteriorated rapidly. Now that I think about it, the signs were probably there because she did have wheeze attacks about once or twice per week for the last year of her life but it did not really seem like anything too urgent or serious because they lasted about 2-3 minutes and she was happy again afterwards.

Your best bet is to go to the vet for checkups every 2 months or so or when you suspect something may be wrong so that they can hopefully prolong life.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I didn't want to put the dog down either but in the end I let my mother make the decision. The dog looked for and followed my mother around the whole day and seemed to see her as the leader of the pack. I just put my emotions aside and thought to myself that if the dog had to chose, she would probably have wanted my mother to make this kind of decision on her behalf and not me.

With regards to your concern, kidney failure can be very hard to notice. My dog was fairly fine until the last week of her life when she deteriorated rapidly. Now that I think about it, the signs were probably there because she did have wheeze attacks about once or twice per week for the last year of her life but it did not really seem like anything too urgent or serious because they lasted about 2-3 minutes and she was happy again afterwards.

Your best bet is to go to the vet for checkups every 2 months or so or when you suspect something may be wrong so that they can hopefully prolong life.
****, mine does that too, sounds like she's trying to hack up a hairball!

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
****, mine does that too, sounds like she's trying to hack up a hairball!

If her age is advanced, it's probably a serious underlying issue. Your best bet is to go to the vet and ask them.

Be upfront and realistic. I've noticed that if your dog is a senior, some vets try to downplay the issue when they know there is no hope to try and comfort you but I prefer to be realistic.