Hetzner South Africa re-brands to Xneelo

i.got~issues

Expert Member
What an asinine name!

WTF were the PR crew thinking.

Pretentious irritating and just meh...

dgcarter

OH MY GOSH.. WHAT ON EARTH HAVE THEY DONE!?!?!?

From most professional and trustworthy hosting company to kindergarten of the web. I literally fell off my chair when the SMS came through and immediately thought this was some kind of scam or sick joke.

I’m simply at a loss for words.

saor

Honorary Master
Feels clunky saying that.
Neelo sounds stupid enough, but then the X too?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Choices are rather limited when you need both a .com and .co.za with the same name, especially 7 letters or less. Not a terrible choice, tbh.

Milano

Honorary Master
What does it even mean?
Ex nihilo
is a Latin phrase meaning "out of nothing". It often appears in conjunction with the concept of creation, as in creatio ex nihilo, meaning "creation out of nothing", chiefly in philosophical or theological contexts, but it also occurs in other fields.

In theology, the common phrase creatio ex nihilo (lit. "creation out of nothing"), contrasts with creatio ex materia (creation out of some pre-existent, eternal matter) and creatio ex deo (creation out of the being of God). Creatio continua is the ongoing divine creation.

The phrase ex nihilo also appears in the classical philosophical formulation ex nihilo nihil fit, which means "out of nothing comes nothing".

When used outside of religious or metaphysical contexts, ex nihilo also refers to something coming from nothing. For example, in a conversation, one might call a topic "ex nihilo" if it bears no relation to the previous topic of discussion.

Wikipedia

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
From a marketing perspective this re-brand fails on many checklists and I'm still unable to understand the need for the change
Their "find out why the name change" doesn't explain things much
2019-07-22_11-19-36.png

"We’re simply changing our name."

No one simply changes a brand name without a very valid reason, in particular a brand name thats become synonymous with being trusted in hosting, and within its own right a household name.

The new name is confusing, not easy to remember, difficult to pronounce, doesn't not lend itself to anything that is related to the services that they offer.

The change is confusing,

"Why the change"
"Because way back in 1999....
a business that could compete on the international stage. Today that’s a reality – we already have an office in Vancouver, Canada"

So why not call yourself Hetzner with a brand in Canada not to be confused with the brand in Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetzner

"It should not be confused with its South African namesake and partner company, Hetzner (Pty) Ltd"

I wish them luck with the new name

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
irrelevant compared to reliability and price.
This thread is not about reliability or price - it is about a stupid name. Boss called me to ask who the hell these "zenlow" people are that just sent him an email. He (like me) is way too busy to read some blurb about somebody's stupid renaming. We use them. They are average. They also have had huge problems with data integrity and open storing of sensitive data.

quovadis

Expert Member
What does it even mean?
As per their communication to customers:

Why xneelo?
We chose the name xneelo (pronounced ex-nee-lo) with care: inspired by a Latin phrase that translates into the ability to ‘create something out of nothing’. We believe that our new name speaks to the resourcefulness, ingenuity and industrious spirit of our customers - and of our team.

I'm a customer of both Hetzner and Domains. Why is this relevant?
Why not reply to the substance of their comments rather than question whether they're entitled to an opinion.
I'm very curious as to the long term effect of shifting to an unprofessional name. It surely can't be good.
Because if you were a customer you would know the reason they changed to Xneelo - It was detailed in a long email to customers. Your subjective view of professional or unprofessional in a name is just that, subjective.

It's not a trade-off of service over name. Domains.co.za have exceptional service and name.

My point was that I expect a decent number of businesses to opt for a professional sounding web host.
I wasn't criticising Domains.co.za's service merely that your view is subjective and unless a name is completely offensive I don't see why any commercial agreement would be put at risk due to a name change.

Added: Furthermore, I'm sure most opt for professional vs professional sounding. But that's my 2c.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Choices are rather limited when you need both a .com and .co.za with the same name, especially 7 letters or less. Not a terrible choice, tbh.
Choices are not limited at all. You simply need to cough up if you want a snazzy .com. Sedo.com and similar domain marketplaces have a gazillion excellent domains for sale.

There is no excusing a name as awful as xneelo. It would suck for a restaurant. It would suck for a household cleaning product. It would suck for medicine. It especially sucks for a web hosting company whose bread and butter comes from serious business clients.

This thread is not about reliability or price - it is about a stupid name. Boss called me to ask who the hell these "zenlow" people are that just sent him an email. He (like me) is way too busy to read some blurb about somebody's stupid renaming. We use them. They are average. They also have had huge problems with data integrity and open storing of sensitive data.
It really is a fundamental failure in branding. Hetzner SA didn't adequately understand their position in the market and the profile of their typical high-value client. A silly childish brand that sounds like a goofy first-year project name chosen purely because the domain was available is not great when your clients are primarily business entities.

They could have chosen to drop R50-100k on a high-authority .com domain. Instead they went with xneelo. Oh Jesus. :X3:

As per their communication to customers:

Why xneelo?
We chose the name xneelo (pronounced ex-nee-lo) with care: inspired by a Latin phrase that translates into the ability to ‘create something out of nothing’. We believe that our new name speaks to the resourcefulness, ingenuity and industrious spirit of our customers - and of our team.

Because if you were a customer you would know the reason they changed to Xneelo - It was detailed in a long email to customers. Your subjective view of professional or unprofessional in a name is just that, subjective.

I wasn't criticising Domains.co.za's service merely that your view is subjective and unless a name is completely offensive I don't see why any commercial agreement would be put at risk due to a name change.
Not everything is subjective. Otherwise, branding would be an almost impossible service to provide as an agency. We have a fairly good idea of what tends to work and what doesn't.

Two of the most basic characteristics of a good brand are not present in xneelo:

1. A clear identity
2. Built around your audience

People can't even pronounce the stupid word, and it's not of a suitable register for their business clients.

Almost always, if I don't like a brand name I just regard it as my subjective dislike and try to bridge the gap and understand why. This is one of the few times I feel safe in my opinion that the rebrand is a wholesale failure.

Milano

Honorary Master
On the face of it, it is not good. But people take time to adapt to change. In a few months it may seem just fine, or not. The proof will be in their results. Surely they did not change it willy-nilly? Must have been focus groups and so forth to first gauge the proposed change?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
On the face of it, it is not good. But people take time to adapt to change. In a few months it may seem just fine, or not. The proof will be in their results. Surely they did not change it willy-nilly? Must have been focus groups and so forth to first gauge the proposed change?
You'd think so, but I'm sceptical any of that took place. The quality of the new brand makes me assume it was a product of the dreaded HiPPO. Highest Paid Person's Opinion.

quovadis

Expert Member
Choices are not limited at all. You simply need to cough up if you want a snazzy .com. Sedo.com and similar domain marketplaces have a gazillion excellent domains for sale.

There is no excusing a name as awful as xneelo. It would suck for a restaurant. It would suck for a household cleaning product. It would suck for medicine. It especially sucks for a web hosting company whose bread and butter comes from serious business clients.

It really is a fundamental failure in branding. Hetzner SA didn't adequately understand their position in the market and the profile of their typical high-value client. A silly childish brand that sounds like a goofy first-year project name chosen purely because the domain was available is not great when your clients are primarily business entities.

They could have chosen to drop R50-100k on a high-authority .com domain. Instead they went with xneelo. Oh Jesus. :X3:

Not everything is subjective. Otherwise, branding would be an almost impossible service to provide as an agency. We have a fairly good idea of what tends to work and what doesn't.

Two of the most basic characteristics of a good brand are not present in xneelo:

1. A clear identity
2. Built around your audience

People can't even pronounce the stupid word, and it's not of a suitable register for their business clients.

Almost always, if I don't like a brand name I just regard it as my subjective dislike and try to bridge the gap and understand why. This is one of the few times I feel safe in my opinion that the rebrand is a wholesale failure.
Agree to disagree with your opinion as there are plenty of examples of very successful businesses with subjectively crappy names. It's not a fundamental consideration I make when deciding who deserves my business.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Agree to disagree with your opinion as there are plenty of examples of very successful businesses with subjectively crappy names. It's not a fundamental consideration I make when deciding who deserves my business.
Yes it is. People subconsciously cross off options all the time based on the names of products and services. Branding impacts your decisions in a huge way whether you want it to or not.

I'm not claiming it's the beginning of the end for xneelo. But I would definitely expect Domains.co.za to be very happy that their main rival now has an unprofessional name.

quovadis

Expert Member
Yes it is. People subconsciously cross off options all the time based on the names of products and services. Branding impacts your decisions in a huge way whether you want it to or not.

I'm not claiming it's the beginning of the end for xneelo. But I would definitely expect Domains.co.za to be very happy that their main rival now has an unprofessional name.
The previous Hetzner name isn't that great by your own standards either and they did just fine.

quovadis

Expert Member
I don't see that leap at all. Hetzner is a good name.
I think it was a fundamental failure in branding and definitely expect Domains.co.za to be very unhappy that their main rival now has a more professional name.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Maybe quovadis is the HIPPO who coined the unfortunate phrase. I wonder where he was going with that?