Hetzner South Africa re-brands to Xneelo

quovadis

Expert Member
Maybe quovadis is the HIPPO who coined the unfortunate phrase. I wonder where he was going with that?
Maybe you're an idiot. Next time I'm critical of Hetzner (as I've been in the past) I'll be sure to remind them I'm in charge, apparently.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I think it was a fundamental failure in branding and definitely expect Domains.co.za to be very unhappy that their main rival now has a more professional name.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and not even the word of the biggest marketing agencies in the world is the gospel. Everyone makes mistakes and takes risks that don't pay off.

That said, any rational position should be able to be justified.

Hetzner is German. South Africans have no trouble with German words, and the Hetzner SA brand is reinforced by the strong European operation. It sounds business-like with staccato syllables and has rock-solid SEO thanks to both SA and German companies. It's very good for a web host that focuses on business entities.

xneelo is so unusual the pronunciation needs to be made clear. Initial responses are overwhelmingly negative. It doesn't sound business-like, doesn't have a pleasant enunciation or any obvious connection to the web or technology. As mentioned several times, it comes across as a budget-minded choice of buying an unregistered domain. None of the emotions brought forward by the common responses in this thread are what Hetzner SA should want to be associated with the new brand name. I see no redeeming qualities, and you have not provided any on your side. The benefits of a new brand are irrelevant - we're discussing the name they chose.

Thor

Honorary Master
I was always under the impression Hetzner DE is the owner of SA.

quovadis

Expert Member
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and not even the word of the biggest marketing agencies in the world is the gospel. Everyone makes mistakes and takes risks that don't pay off.

That said, any rational position should be able to be justified.

Hetzner is German. South Africans have no trouble with German words, and the Hetzner SA brand is reinforced by the strong European operation. It sounds business-like with staccato syllables and has rock-solid SEO thanks to both SA and German companies. It's very good for a web host that focuses on business entities.

xneelo is so unusual the pronunciation needs to be made clear. Initial responses are overwhelmingly negative. It doesn't sound business-like, doesn't have a pleasant enunciation or any obvious connection to the web or technology. As mentioned several times, it comes across as a budget-minded choice of buying an unregistered domain. None of the emotions brought forward by the common responses in this thread are what Hetzner SA should want to be associated with the new brand name. I see no redeeming qualities, and you have not provided any on your side. The benefits of a new brand are irrelevant - we're discussing the name they chose.
I think you miss the sarcasm and the point I was making. Hetzner btw isn't a german word it is a german.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
It's not an insult. You made a stupid extrapolation based on my criticism of a subjective view.
Maybe you're the idiot then - the "extrapolation" I made was based on your username, being just as latin, and if you knew what it meant you may even have caught the not-so-stupid pun at the end.

quovadis

Expert Member
Maybe you're the idiot then - the extrapolation I made was based on your username, being just as latin, and if you knew what it meant you may even have caught the not-so-stupid pun at the end.
I'm well aware of the meaning and it doesn't change my opinion.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
I'm well aware of the meaning and it doesn't change my opinion.
Wow - so your opinion allows you to go around insulting others, most likely reporting SOAR's earlier post and crusading for a dumb bastardisation of latin as a company name while the rest of us must change ours to align to you|? Arrogant SOB you are...

saor

Honorary Master
Wow - so your opinion allows you to go around insulting others, most likely reporting SOAR's earlier post and crusading for a dumb bastardisation of latin as a company name while the rest of us must change ours to align to you|? Arrogant SOB you are...
I deleted my post and stuck the joke elsewhere.

quovadis

Expert Member
No, I was referring to my opinion of your stupid extrapolation but it's now supported again by your assumption that I would report someone, which I wouldn't. I'm not expecting anyone to align either to my own view on the matter - I just disagree. Move on now.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
No, I was referring to my opinion of your stupid extrapolation but it's now supported again by your assumption that I would report someone, which I wouldn't. I'm not expecting anyone to align either to my own view on the matter - I just disagree. Move on now.
You disagree quite strongly. And don't tell me to move on. Don't know who you think you are but you are coming across as way too close to this to take any criticism of the name as constructive so maybe my extrapolation as you like to call it is not far off.

access

Executive Member
and ex nusquam you get wacked with weird names

feels uncomfortable pronouncing it.

cpu.

Expert Member
What is Xneelo?
Who is Xneelo?
Why Xneelo?
Stupid Xneelo.
How do I pronounce Xneelo?

People talk about it and remember it. What effective marketing is all about.

quovadis

Expert Member
You disagree quite strongly. And don't tell me to move on. Don't know who you think you are but you are coming across as way too close to this to take any criticism of the name as constructive so maybe my extrapolation as you like to call it is not far off.
There's no need for me to consider criticism as constructive or not. I disagree with someone's subjective opinion. That's all. Assumptions are not necessary.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
What is Xneelo?
Who is Xneelo?
Why Xneelo?
Stupid Xneelo.
How do I pronounce Xneelo?

People talk about it and remember it. What effective marketing is all about.
Quite forgettable nonsense name.