HIfi Corp won't honour advert if they match competitor's price

Judge-ZN

• Hifi Corp advertised a Hisense 55” TV at R14999 which includes a Free 32” TV (KZN Sales paper for 17 to 20 August 2017). HifiCorp 17 - 20August 2017 .JPG
• I called the Springfield store in Durban, KZN on 17 August 2017 and asked if they could match Dion Wired who sell the 55M7000 Hisense TV (normal price) at R12999
• Ashwin (the Stock room supervisor) confirmed the price and called me back to say that they would remove the free 32” TV and then match the price of Dion Wired. I told him that this is unacceptable since he is removing a free item and that in order for me to get the free item that I would then pay R2000.
• I asked to speak to the Sales Manager (Terence) and he also told me that they would remove the free item.
I explained to him that asking me to pay R2000 for a free item does not then make it free.
He said there was nothing he could do, so I lodged a complaint with Hifi Corp’s customer care centre on Thursday (17 August 2017)
• On Wednesday 23 August 2017, Dennis Reynolds (I think he is the KZN Regional Manager) contacted me and re-iterated that they could not honour their price match and include the free TV.
He states that their deal is different to the competitors deal, even though the barcodes and model number match up.

My issue is that they use the word ”Free” instead of stating it is a bundle deal.
So they say the small TV is free if I buy the big TV, but only if they don’t match their competitor’s price.
If I want the free TV, then I have to pay more which then means I’m paying for something advertised as free.

Do I have any options left?

abzob

Honorary Master
Dion's deal doesn't include a "free" TV so it's not a like for like match. The conditions are that the tv is free if you pay the advertised price. I think you're being petty.

Messugga

Honorary Master
By your logic, you can buy the TV, return it and keep the "free" smaller TV.

You're being an ass.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Dion's deal doesn't include a "free" TV so it's not a like for like match. The conditions are that the tv is free if you pay the advertised price. I think you're being petty.

This is a grey area, what's the terms and conditions of their price match deal. You could report them and they might get fined but you still won't get the deal you want so largely a waste of time

killerbyte

Expert Member
• Hifi Corp advertised a Hisense 55” TV at R14999 which includes a Free 32” TV (KZN Sales paper for 17 to 20 August 2017). View attachment 457580
• I called the Springfield store in Durban, KZN on 17 August 2017 and asked if they could match Dion Wired who sell the 55M7000 Hisense TV (normal price) at R12999
• Ashwin (the Stock room supervisor) confirmed the price and called me back to say that they would remove the free 32” TV and then match the price of Dion Wired. I told him that this is unacceptable since he is removing a free item and that in order for me to get the free item that I would then pay R2000.
• I asked to speak to the Sales Manager (Terence) and he also told me that they would remove the free item.
I explained to him that asking me to pay R2000 for a free item does not then make it free.
He said there was nothing he could do, so I lodged a complaint with Hifi Corp’s customer care centre on Thursday (17 August 2017)
• On Wednesday 23 August 2017, Dennis Reynolds (I think he is the KZN Regional Manager) contacted me and re-iterated that they could not honour their price match and include the free TV.
He states that their deal is different to the competitors deal, even though the barcodes and model number match up.

My issue is that they use the word ”Free” instead of stating it is a bundle deal.
So they say the small TV is free if I buy the big TV, but only if they don’t match their competitor’s price.
If I want the free TV, then I have to pay more which then means I’m paying for something advertised as free.

Do I have any options left?

If I worked in retail and had to deal with the likes of you... I'd buy a ****ing gun!

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
You really thought it's "free"? :crylaugh: Welcome to the real world.

Stevi

Expert Member
You must be the type of person who appears on those Extreme Coupons shows

Judge-ZN

So, lets try changing this story a little bit.

I advertise a can of cooldrink for R10 and include a free chocolate worth R2.
I now discount the cooldrink to R9 but remove the free chocolate.
Was the chocolate really free?

DTBA

Expert Member
So, lets try changing this story a little bit.

I advertise a can of cooldrink for R10 and include a free chocolate worth R2.
I now discount the cooldrink to R9 but remove the free chocolate.
Was the chocolate really free?

Dude stop trying to pull out the lake under the duck. Holy crap. Buy the tv at Dion Wired then FFS