High Broadband USAGE -a196-26-223-17.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

jacques.trdx

Hi guys

I work for a ISP in the greater pretoria area. We mostly offer high speed capped wireless bandwidth.

One of my clients is disputing his bandwidth usage.

Now the thing is I have no SNMP monitoring system in at the client.

He used about 6GB in one day to the IP address a196-26-223-17.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

This i found out is hosted by IS.

But there is no real way for me to tell where the bandwidth is going except to go in on all the machines in his network and check each Machine individually?

Now my question is who is this a196-26-223-17.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com and what do they provide??

If anybody can help I would really appreciate.

PS Speedtest uploaded to drool on... :p

3504159553.png

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
The usual suspect - spam on port 25 (high traffic on those ports)?

Also check for suspicious traffic - like a bot/worm trying to propagate itself.?

Good luck - it is not easy tracking down errant clients.

Franna

Expert Member
It is likely Windows Updates (eg Windows 8.1 and SP1) served form Akamai CDN as used by Microsoft.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Those akamai servers provide network balanced content distribution. Microsoft, Sony (PSN), antivirus updates, etc. A million things. Could be anything really, but usually extremely high volume content.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
If it came through akamai then it was big, that much I can tell you for sure.
Like others have mentioned, microsoft downloads, PSN etc.
I wonder if they got themselves a PS4 and downloaded or updated a game? those can easily run into those sizes.

kianm

Honorary Master
Akamai CDN. Could be any of a lot of legit things and not necessarily abuse

Edit: & the speedtest :love:

Last edited:

jacques.trdx

Hi

Thanks for all the quick replies. My client uses only Macintosh hardware so I know it was most probably some kind of update/sync.

Its just in general Mac users are so difficult :p !!

So now I know Akaima is just basically like a local peering provider for BIG stuff to be downloaded locally?

Again thanks for all the replies

BTW the servers here dont really give me speed when doing a speedtest?

Anyone got one more than 65Mb/s?

Last edited:

grim

Expert Member
Hi

Thanks for all the quick replies. My client uses only Macintosh hardware so I know it was most probably some kind of update/sync.

So now I know Akaima is just basically like a local peering provider for BIG stuff to be downloaded locally?

Try Vodacom or Mweb, used to get 700-800Mb/s to them when we still had servers in country.

hackerjargon

I also thought so but he has only Macintosh devices

I'm own a MacBook and auto app updates has been added in Mavericks, but this could also be apps installed from the app store, especially the iwork apps or iphoto, garageband, imovie (they're free for Mavericks users to download) and 1GB+ each and the updates are also usually 1GB+ and the operating system it self is 3GB+ so the user(s) could have updated to Mavericks too.

Htxt africa did a post on it last year:
http://www.htxt.co.za/2013/11/06/auto-update-on-mac-os-x-mavericks-will-annihilate-your-data-cap/

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
Hi guys

I work for a ISP in the greater pretoria area. We mostly offer high speed capped wireless bandwidth.

One of my clients is disputing his bandwidth usage.

Now the thing is I have no SNMP monitoring system in at the client.

He used about 6GB in one day to the IP address a196-26-223-17.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

This i found out is hosted by IS.

But there is no real way for me to tell where the bandwidth is going except to go in on all the machines in his network and check each Machine individually?

Now my question is who is this a196-26-223-17.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com and what do they provide??

If anybody can help I would really appreciate.

PS Speedtest uploaded to drool on... :p

View attachment 118943

I have a similar traffic pattern, and it started when the Oscar trial started - more than likely the stream from there ;-)

syntax

Executive Member
Hi

simply put, its a really big cache to store oversea's content locally in order to save bandwidth.
Hence the name, content delivery network (CDN)