High-level corruption cases taking longer than thought to deal with

3WA

Executive Member

The NPA’s Hermione Cronje says building the directorate’s cyber capability and data analytics capacity need to be done first

It has taken a lot longer than anticipated for the National Prosecuting Authority’s (NPA’s) investigative directorate to develop the capability to deal with complex, serious and high-level corruption cases, its head, Hermione Cronje, said in parliament on Wednesday.

There has been mounting concern over the long delay in bringing to court those implicated in the looting of the state on a huge scale over many years. The directorate was set up in April 2019 with a five-year lifespan with the specific purpose of dealing with high-level corruption cases.

MPs were concerned that no cases have yet been brought before the courts. DA justice spokesperson Glynnis Breytenbach was also concerned about the limited five-year lifespan of the investigative directorate and its ability to handle corruption cases within this time.

“There are no quick fixes, no short cuts,” Cronje said.

She appeared before the committee with national director of public prosecutions Shamila Batohi, who said that even well-resourced and sophisticated jurisdictions abroad took 5-9 years to bring about very complex corruption cases.

Cronje said there was no smoking gun in high-level corruption involving politicians and businesspeople. The evidence was found in electronic and cellphone communications and offshore bank transfers that required a cyber capability the directorate did not have, but has started to acquire.

The legal framework for dealing with this data also made things difficult. Data analytics capacity to analyse reams of bank data was also not available. Months had been spent on seconding the required capacity from other state agencies.

She said that there were numerous forensic investigations into corruption by other institutions and the directorate had to ensure that the evidence produced was watertight. International co-operation was also vital as the corruption suspects, much of the proceeds of the crimes and a lot of the evidence were abroad. Integrity challenges had also hamstrung the organisation.

3WA

Executive Member
Shamila Batohi, who said that even well-resourced and sophisticated jurisdictions abroad took 5-9 years to bring about very complex corruption cases
See you in 2027.

zophas

Most of the current corrupt "officials" will be dead from old age by the time the NPA has got it's act together. Maybe they will be able to do something about future corruption but I ain't gonna be holding my breath on that one.

daveza

Honorary Master
building the directorate’s cyber capability and data analytics capacity need to be done first
Uhm..... this doesn't already exist ?

Because ?

wtf !

R13...

Honorary Master
They should use contracting like the scorpions used to. Lots of forensic capabilities at the audit firms though you have to be careful as almost all of them are implicated in state capture at some level.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The majority of these are NOT complex cases... this lot aren't intelligent enough to engage in complicated corruption.

Acid0

Expert Member
Let me guess this will cost the tax payer around about 2bil estimate and then inflate by 300% to give to the "Needy"

Hell just look at VBS bank, how difficult is it to watch the few whatsapp videos of flashing money around in the car, the one MP that bought his niece a Lambo...... just naming two its not difficult.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The majority of these are NOT complex cases... this lot aren't intelligent enough to engage in complicated corruption.
I honestly believe that there is stalling on purpose taking place. Just today they asked why the NPA couldn't do the work which is done by the Zondo Commission... and you know what, a special clause has been introduced within the testimony process to prevent incrimination and that will all spill back into the prosecution process. The real targets are all receiving special treatment and have made it their show to remember.

Yes, I am really disappointed with these processes and these guys are protecting one and the other. People may call me a conspiracy theorist, but the ANC and cohorts are magicians at eluding the law till the day an individual doesn't remember his or her place in the ranks.

No, I am not calling everyone criminals. From my view, I would say that Tito Mboweni is in the best position to lead this country, and he isn’t liked by the cohorts.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I honestly believe that there is stalling on purpose taking place. Just today they asked why the NPA couldn't do the work which is done by the Zondo Commission... and you know what, a special clause has been introduced within the testimony process to prevent incrimination and that will all spill back into the prosecution process. The real targets are all receiving special treatment and have made it their show to remember.

Yes, I am really disappointed with these processes and these guys are protecting one and the other. People may call me a conspiracy theorist, but the ANC and cohorts are magicians at eluding the law till the day an individual doesn't remember his or her place in the ranks.

No, I am not calling everyone criminals. From my view, I would say that Tito Mboweni is in the best position to lead this country, and he isn’t liked by the cohorts.
I largely agree with you...

Even low level grunts are being protected to some degree... those are simple cases which should have been fast tracked through the system.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yeah, they can build the complex cases later.

Nail the fusckers for tax evasion and jail them, not so difficult.

surface

Executive Member
I am also multi talented renowned top notch forensic investigator and would probably solve all these cases in a month. But, myBB keeps me very busy.

3WA

Executive Member
That's a challenge. Msholozi never wrote. There’s no paper trail if you don’t write. The simplest crimes are the hardest to prove.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Pay Paul O'Sullivan just a fraction of what the NPA is costing us, and it will get done and in much less time.

The Gauteng Director of Public Prosecutions has decided to charge a Hawks warrant officer who was part of a 15-man posse of officers who in 2016 dragged forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan off a London-bound plane in front of his children.

Warrant Officer Jacobus Vlok will appear in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on 18 July to face charges of extortion and defeating the ends of justice. The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) has confirmed to Daily Maverick the DPP’s decision to prosecute Vlok.

Vlok was one of several Hawks members instrumental in O’Sullivan’s arrest on 1 April 2016 on trumped-up charges under the South African Citizenship Act. The case against O’Sullivan was later dismissed.

The charge of extortion relates to an alleged attempt by Vlok to intimidate Lynn Fliess whom O’Sullivan had assisted to obtain protection orders for herself and family against her former husband. Fliess, fearing for her life, had removed her husband’s guns from their home and handed them for safekeeping to a dealer. She did so on the advice of O’Sullivan.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am also multi talented renowned top notch forensic investigator and would probably solve all these cases in a month. But, myBB keeps me very busy.
You should apply, the NPA has the permission to employ third-party expertise to prosecute complex cases and it is not like they are in a hurry so you may continue to monitor Mybroadband. I mean, they only started to recruit 'new' prosecutors last year, and they are still very vacant in their senior ranks.

I have to ask why they only got their act together under Ramaphosa :unsure: