High-level corruption cases taking longer than thought to deal with

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
You don't want to know, really not!

Let's just park this here.

Savvy?
No savvy ...

At least we have no cyber crime. No cyber crime stats.

I reported cybercrime activity in 2018, through proper and third-party channels, and nothing was ever reported back as in acknowledgement, and I even did their homework.

That was it.

TysonRoux

Honorary Master
First it was the wait for the fake Zondo Commission to wrap up, and now this BS.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
That's a challenge. Msholozi never wrote. There’s no paper trail if you don’t write. The simplest crimes are the hardest to prove.
Honestly I'm not even talking about Jacob. Start lower down the chain with the low level idiots... They will roll on their bosses in a heartbeat.

3WA

Honorary Master
An article that suggests that the NPA should focus on a few, easily provable charges instead of hundreds of complicated charges:

This is the timeline: on December 2 2001, Enron filed for bankruptcy. Just over two years later, in February 2004, CEO Jeff Skilling was charged with 35 counts of fraud, while chair Kenneth Lay was charged with 11 counts soon after. In January 2006, their trial began and within five months, they were found guilty and jailed. All told, less than five years.

In the case of WorldCom, it took less than three years. In mid-2002, the tech firm folded amid $3.9bn in "accounting misstatements". By March 2005, CEO Bernie Ebbers was found guilty of nine counts of fraud. (Time magazine dubbed Ebbers the "10th most corrupt CEO of all time" in a list headed by the Enron duo and Ponzi mastermind Bernie Madoff.)

But there’s an important clue in these overseas cases about what we could do better. Lay and Skilling, instrumental in a mammoth fraud, faced just 11 and 35 charges respectively; Ebbers just nine, Madoff 11 and Kerviel three.

In SA, though, we seem to be desperate to throw the whole book. Tigon CEO Gary Porritt, arrested in 2002, was smacked with 3,160 counts, in a charge sheet that ran to 1,385 pages. As a result, 18 years later, the trial is still plodding its way through Joburg’s high court.

It illustrates the point: the NPA isn’t prosecuting "strategically" — and it’s costing the country.

Says Kriegler: "Instead of bringing 783 counts against Jacob Zuma for corruption, charge him with one count of perjury for signing an affidavit saying that former national director of public prosecutions Mxolisi Nxasana asked to leave — when in truth he never asked to leave but was bought off. Zuma’s version is probably false."

The desire to include the kitchen sink in the charge sheet probably comes from a lack of confidence.

3WA

Honorary Master
And another article that explains why taking > 5 years is a risky strategy:

In summary, the obstacles described by Advocate Batohi are understandable. The NPA is faced, however, with a context specific to South Africa. The longer there are no significant prosecutions of powerful politicians responsible or involved in State Capture, the stronger this constituency becomes. Manifestly, the scope for the NPA to restore the rule of law is dependent on the present political situation. Were this to change, Advocate Batohi would probably be out of a job and the NPA would revert to its Abrahams position. Time is now of the essence. Sadly, nothing that was presented by the NPA over the past week gives rise to much optimism.

surface

Honorary Master
Elaborate?
heaven before and hell now. Pick year between 1993 & 1995 for before & after comparison. Hope I helped.

Also, no one is employing me despite my open challenge "I am also multi talented renowned top notch forensic investigator and would probably solve all these cases in a month. "