High-speed fibre in the middle of nowhere

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

To find the small village of Dudfield on a map is not easy. It is located in the rural North West province and is surrounded by farms.

This village of 49 homes, which is located around 30km from Lichtenburg, was built to house families who work at the Afrisam cement factory.

cobusv

Wow 5G's for a 100m 'uncapped' link with a 400G FUP IS TOTALLY INSANE

Id keep my dstv for that price, dont think it's worth it... i mean for a 100meg link i pay just under a grand..

Swa

Honorary Master
R410 for 6mbps. Mitchells Plain R399 for 20mbps. Slowly we're getting there. Funny how the big players like Vuma are getting left in the dust.

Dan C

Honorary Master

View attachment 705225

Id keep my dstv for that price, dont think it's worth it... i mean for a 100meg link i pay just under a grand..
Share the line between 10 households and it doesn't seem that bad.

Johand

Expert Member

View attachment 705225

I think the FUP is for 4 days and not per month? Unless I read the website wrong. If it for 4 days then the packages are decent. Backhaul must cost them an arm and a leg so price will have to be more than cities.

phex

Trucom should update their Lichtenburg and Mahikeng coverage map as their current one is not comprehensive

Reactions: Yuu

Joseph matane

Thank you mybroadband for visiting North West Province. Especially our small villages

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
You can't really compare the fibre prices between a remote town with hardly anyone in it vs. a sprawling urban environment.

I'd like to see any of you lay a fibre cable to a tiny village in the middle of nowhere and charge R1.2k pm for 100/100Mbps uncapped.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
R410 for 6mbps. Mitchells Plain R399 for 20mbps. Slowly we're getting there. Funny how the big players like Vuma are getting left in the dust.
I think Mitchells Fibre is Vumatel.

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

I'm one of the Truecomm users in Lichtenburg and I must say having 10/10 fibre even with a FUP is much better than the 2Mbps adsl line that I could get from Telkom in my area at even less ronds per month.

Thanks Truecomm.

Yskasmetnstoof

To find the small village of Dudfield on a map is not easy. It is located in the rural North West province and is surrounded by farms.

This village of 49 homes, which is located around 30km from Lichtenburg, was built to house families who work at the Afrisam cement factory.

And here in Jhb, so called financial capital of Africa, Vumatel will not react to signed expressions of interest being extended a few streets and Telkom (for fibre) is just, well, what they always are: silent. Rain skrewed subscribers to fixed LTE and Cell C redrew borders for their LTE and throttles big time in peak times for remaining connections.

Yskasmetnstoof

And here in Jhb, so called financial capital of Africa, Vumatel will not react to signed expressions of interest being extended a few streets and Telkom (for fibre) is just, well, what they always are: silent. Rain skrewed subscribers to fixed LTE and Cell C redrew borders for their LTE and throttles big time in peak times for remaining connections.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Except you don't really need 100Mbps.

Even 10 is ok for a family of 4. 20Mbps would be ideal.