hippo.co.za collecting your data even though I did not continue with the quote proces

tjara

I was on hippo.co.za while I had my devtools open and closed the tab/window a breakpoint got hit. To my surprise I saw that hippo was sending the data on the form to their server even though I did not continue with the quote process. I just opened their website and closed the tab/window. This page is the one in question.

hippo1.jpg

hippo2.jpg

Last edited:

Sumen

Expert Member
if they don't send the data to their servers how else are they going to generate a quote for you ? Algorithm is not going to work in this situation

tjara

they are sending the data even though I did not continue with the quote process. Please see updated post above. I only opened the website and then closed it. They are then posting the data you possibly entered on the page to their servers even though you did not continue with the process.

Pitbull

Verboten
they are sending the data even though I did not continue with the quote process. Please see updated post above. I only opened the website and then closed it. They are then posting the data you possibly entered on the page to their servers even though you did not continue with the process.

All websites do this no? It's to pre-load the quote with the details so if you do continue you get your quote quicker :confused:

Sumen

Expert Member

Ok, I get what you saying.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Get ready to be pestered with calls. I made the mistake of using Hippo for a quote.

Pitbull

Verboten
Get ready to be pestered with calls. I made the mistake of using Hippo for a quote.

This I would not agree to. If it's preloading the data in order to complete the resolve quicker then sure. But if you fail to complete that data needs to be dumped.

Drifter

Honorary Master
True. My mistake was completing the form. I got calls from every damn call centre in SA. oH, and my number is listed on that site to say I do not want direct marketing calls.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member

Best to use fake details (phone number and email) if getting a quote online. Have a backup email address for this purpose in case you have to check the mail before getting the quote.

shooter69

Expert Member
The form in the screenshot has not contact/personal details so I do not see what the issue is?

tjara

If you continue to the next step you enter your contact/personal information and then the same happens if you close the tab. So they are capturing your information even though you abandoned the quote process.

Pitbull

Verboten
If you continue to the next step you enter your contact/personal information and then the same happens if you close the tab. So they are capturing your information even though you abandoned the quote process.

Do you have proof that they store the data and not drop it once the operation is not completed?

Batista

Executive Member
It would be interesting to implement this sort of feature for a forum, how many times have you type something out and then just deleted it without posting lol