Hisense TV factory in Western Cape shut down for ignoring COVID-19 regulations

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

The Department of Employment and Labour in the Western Cape has closed the Hisense TV and appliance factory in Atlantis, a community approximately 50km north of the Cape Town CBD.

In a recent statement, the department said it conducted an inspection at the factory on 22 July and found Hisense to be in contravention of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

The Department of Employment and Labour in the Western Cape has closed the Hisense TV and appliance factory in Atlantis, a community approximately 50km north of the Cape Town CBD.

In a recent statement, the department said it conducted an inspection at the factory on 22 July and found Hisense to be in contravention of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Why are you spreading government propaganda, Jamie and Jan?

Wtf... those bosses sound like Chinese factory owners.

Well Hisense is a Chinese multinational brand and and that was their factory :laugh:

They probably also running "996" which is 9am to 9pm for 6 days a week and generally the norm for Chinese tech

Let me guess, they were shut down for making money and keeping staff employed contrary to government lockdown protocol?

Well Hisense is a Chinese multinational brand and and that was their factory :laugh:

They probably also running "996" which is 9am to 9pm for 6 days a week and generally the norm for Chinese tech
This is South Africa mate.

From the article:
What does that mean, exactly?
Were they hostages?

And what were the department doing inspecting them now? I'm willing to bet this is not new since Corona. We're their taxes (or whatever they were paying) OK before?

Sounds to me like the issue has little to do with Coronavirus.

Well, they can't return to China during Covid times ... even if their employer did not take their passports away.
Not suggesting they return to China. I'm pointing out the crux of the article is that the issue according to the article is Coronavirus, not slavery.

They slept there?!

Yeah I'm really hoping the use of the word "house" was merely intended as a synonym for "they spend their workday in the boardroom".

I worked for a Chinese owned company that supplies Hisense with some of their products.
Most of the staff there are Chinese, the idea is that they employ local staff, which they do. BUT a South African staff member is only allowed to perform a "basic" role. Supervisors and higher are all Chinese Nationals.
Back when they where building the new factory I managed to have a look around, the temporary staff quarters where shocking.
I am not surprised by anything said in this article. Its all a load of smoke and mirrors.

This is South Africa mate.

Yes I do know that, I was referring to the way they work regardless of where they work.

I've worked with some of these tech companies on projects in South Africa, management is usually all foreign and the staff are treated terrible. To the point of getting emails at 2am from the manager and then taking flak the next morning for not answering to the email immediately.

I worked for a Chinese owned company that supplies Hisense with some of their products.
Most of the staff there are Chinese, the idea is that they employ local staff, which they do. BUT a South African staff member is only allowed to perform a "basic" role. Supervisors and higher are all Chinese Nationals.
Back when they where building the new factory I managed to have a look around, the temporary staff quarters where shocking.
I am not surprised by anything said in this article. Its all a load of smoke and mirrors.

Sounds very familiar to my experience :laugh:

Yes I do know that, I was referring to the way they work regardless of where they work.

I've worked with some of these tech companies on projects in South Africa, management is usually all foreign and the staff are treated terrible. To the point of getting emails at 2am from the manager and then taking flak the next morning for not answering to the email immediately.

Sounds very familiar to my experience :laugh:
what about the smell coming from the canteen? hard to forget. :ROFL:

I've had that from US companies - it's not a Chinese thing.
SA has strict labour laws. If anyone is putting up with crap, they have avenues to do something about it. This is not China.
I've lived and worked in the EC for a chunk of my earlier career and worked with and seen plenty Chinese businesses under the former homelands, particularly Ciskei. Back then they got away with a lot more.

Last edited:
Back