HiSense TV Power Consumption - I'm thoroughly impressed

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I'm making this post in passing.

@Hisense SA

So, never having had the pleasure of being able to measure how much power my devices use, I bought a "kill-a-watt" from @GeeWiz - among other stuff - as part of my efforts to transition to self sustainability in terms of reliability on the national grid.

HiSense 65" ULED TV (65A6130UW) - Black Friday purchase. Standard settings while running YouTube. Once I change the settings to dynamic, it shoots up to 156w. Apologies, I can't find this model on HiSense's site anymore

HiSense 32" FHD (32A5600HW) - Recent purchase (x3), standard settings: https://hisense.co.za/product/32-fhd-hd-smart-a5600-32a5600hw

Twenty fscking eight watts while running the YT app! That's absolutely amazing efficiency!

So, my TV's consume just over 200w, my lights just over 120w all round. I'm not going to delve too much into that right now as it's earmarket for the "off grid" thread, I just thought I'd give HiSense kudos for supremem power preservation.

Attachments

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Many countries around the world (and the EU) have introduced energy efficiency standards for appliances. In some cases there have been remarkable improvements, and this obviously benefits those using sustainable supplies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_energy_performance_standard
No doubt. I had an LG 55" plasma, which I took outside to the braai to watch the rugby since the women were talking too loudly. The wind blew it over. That bastard made the prepaid meter run down like a bloody timebomb

Gordon_R

Executive Member
No doubt. I had an LG 55" plasma, which I took outside to the braai to watch the rugby since the women were talking too loudly. The wind blew it over. That bastard made the prepaid meter run down like a bloody timebomb
Plasma TVs are notorious power hogs. Not news...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display#General_characteristics
Typical power consumption is 400 watts for a 127 cm (50 in) screen. Most screens are set to "shop" mode by default, which draws at least twice the power (around 500–700 watts) of a "home" setting of less extreme brightness.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Remember reading the Manual of Bravia 40 Inch TV that peak power draw was 110 watts. 117Watts for a 65 inch TV with for times the pixel count is really impressive

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah Hisense are great as I've used both mine on my Inverter setup and the 50" easily ran for 10+ hours, the 58" had only had a four session so far and it had my amp and decoder running as well, batteries were down by 25/%

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Yeah Hisense are great as I've used both mine on my Inverter setup and the 50" easily ran for 10+ hours, the 58" had only had a four session so far and it had my amp and decoder running as well, batteries were down by 25/%
I remarked to my wife that the 32 inchers use less power than a lightbulb and she commented that it's a physical imposibility :D

Gordon_R

Executive Member
I remarked to my wife that the 32 inchers use less power than a lightbulb and she commented that it's a physical imposibility :D
Modern LED TVs use less power than an old incandescent light-bulb, but far more than a compact fluorescent bulb (50W, 60W, 14W).