Hisense versus Sinotec

tRoN

Executive Member
I need a "basic" led/LCD 32 inch for a TV display in my office reception.

Which brand is better?

Any other "budget" brands recommended.

MR.C

Expert Member
I prefer the quality of Hi-sense but remember that Makro sells Sinotec with a 5 year warranty.

Nuro

Expert Member
I have two sinotecs, 2 years old, and they have not given me a days hassle, and the one is in the kids room, which gets a lot of abuse.

Goliath

Expert Member
HiSense upped their game in recent years, ill go with them but if Sinotec sells for cheaper I'd go with it!

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
HiSense has always been the best non-Korean manufacturer.

I've got the 32" for 3 years now and very happy with it. But do look at Samsung as I see the price difference can be as little as R100 if you don't mind buying an older model.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I used to own a Hisense CRT it was awesome, I also owned a 42" Sinotec LCD in 2008, it was actually pretty good back then, not sure about now though. I'd look at LG or Samsung though as they are normally only a couple hundred bucks more

NomNom

Executive Member
What ever is cheapest, they are both sub-par brands imo.

Hemps

Honorary Master
For something as simple as reception get the Sinotec and 5 yr warranty should tell you what they think of their products.
Samsung and others should take note! with their piddly little warranties

Bosvark@

Expert Member
For something as simple as reception get the Sinotec and 5 yr warranty should tell you what they think of their products.
Samsung and others should take note! with their piddly little warranties

5YR warranty a bonus!

flamebynatalie11

Hi All! I spotted this thread because I was also looking for tv advice. So here I am staring at two identical flatscreens the one is Sinotec and the other Hisense with a price difference of R350. Reading all your advice and comments, has given me an idea as to which one I will be purchasing. Thanks a mill! Love it! : )

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
Personally I would go with Hisense, as they're a premium brand in China. They make their own products, and have their own factories.
They're a huge successful company.

Sinotec is a made up brand - basically oem low end factory stuff.

That said, in a TV, there isnt much to go wrong. You have a panel (in 32" sizing, will usually made by one of the larger producers eg Samsung, LG, Philips, Chimei or AUO etc), a control board, and a power supply. The most expensive part in there is the panel, and most manufacturers use the same panels.

Just make sure the viewing angles are ok - you don't want a cheap TN panel.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Personally I would go with Hisense, as they're a premium brand in China. They make their own products, and have their own factories.
They're a huge successful company.

Sinotec is a made up brand - basically oem low end factory stuff.

That said, in a TV, there isnt much to go wrong. You have a panel (in 32" sizing, will usually made by one of the larger producers eg Samsung, LG, Philips, Chimei or AUO etc), a control board, and a power supply. The most expensive part in there is the panel, and most manufacturers use the same panels.

Just make sure the viewing angles are ok - you don't want a cheap TN panel.

The panel might be the same, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the same quality picture. There is the interpolation engine for one, this effects upscale of images which the cheaper tvs don't have.
There is also more tweaks in menus, the quality of the leds used, the quality of the power supplies and various other things. I've had two Sinotecs the first actually caught fire, was replaced by Game and the 2nd did last a lot longer, but still wouldn't beat a named brand.
Saying that oh this TV and that one has the same panel is the same as saying oh that Samsung entry level phone is the same as an S6

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Does Sinotec still offer a 5 year warranty?
Thats balls if you ask me. Was hoping the bugger would pack in and get the latest model, because there's there's no point in a costly repair but after 7 years still no issues.

Luke7777

Executive Member
At Makro they still have 5 years yes. Lost my 1st Sinotec (47" LCD monster) after about 8 years, still have 3 within the 5 year range :)

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
The panel might be the same, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the same quality picture. There is the interpolation engine for one, this effects upscale of images which the cheaper tvs don't have.
There is also more tweaks in menus, the quality of the leds used, the quality of the power supplies and various other things. I've had two Sinotecs the first actually caught fire, was replaced by Game and the 2nd did last a lot longer, but still wouldn't beat a named brand.
Saying that oh this TV and that one has the same panel is the same as saying oh that Samsung entry level phone is the same as an S6

The controller boards are cheap for HD.

Roughly 30rmb- 200rmb with all the bells and whistles. (R60 - 400 odd).
I've built my own displays from parts a number of times, as well as projectors.
The higher level stuff has android computer capabilities.

I'm extremely dubious about your upscaler claims, as most of the TV manufacturers out there use the same chipset implementations regardless of price. I have looked into more than a few sets over the years.
Very few manufacturers use decent scalers - eg farouja, its all onboard realtek or mediatek, or marvell SoC implementations these days.

Given that a tv is 3 parts these days - psu, panel, and controller, yes I will claim that its pretty much the same.

Heres something I built a while ago - http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_0200.jpg (albeit with a QHD 14" panel).

JenniferArden

Both are good products.
Hubster chose to stick with Sinotec and I chose HiSense.
We both have bought two tv's of each brand - Hubster 2 x Sinotec and me 2 x Hisense.
First Sinotec is 6 years old and still works well, 2nd Sinotec is 2 years old and works well.
First HiSense is 5 years old and still works well, 2nd HiSense is only a few days old but working well.
Only reason we bought new tv's is because we both wanted bigger screens.
The old Sinotec and HiSense are still in use and working well.
His old Sinotec is a 43" and my old HiSense is a 32".
His new Sinotec is a 49" and my new Hisense is a 50"
His is not a "smart tv" however mine is since i just bought it and its 2 years newer than his Sinotec.
We are both satisfied with the choices we made over the years with Sinotec and HiSense. Both brands have good quality budget tv's.
We are not people that spend R10K+ on tv's, though we can. But we prefer to be sensible with our money.
However for R10K and under you can buy a decent size and quality tv.
You cant go wrong with Sinotec or Hisense quality wise. As far as application support it seems HiSense is better.
The only reason I would choose HiSense over Sinotec is because of application support.
I know someone who has a Sinotec 50" tv that is 10 years old and still working without any problems.
My HiSense is a UHD 4K 50" smart unit with built-in wifi, 38xx x 28xx resolution and 100Hz refresh rate (or something along those specifications) and cost me R6999 inc vat. Includes 4 year warranty.

Last edited: