HIV - Identify the drivers?!!

kilo39

Executive Member
"We have to identify the drivers of the spread of HIV infection in the region and make concerted efforts to address them."
-
According to the minister, some of the drives needing to be addressed include poverty, underdevelopment and gender inequalities, which make women more vulnerable to HIV infection.
More talk, more meetings while people die (and we complain about our connectivity charges)... now they must identify the drivers - FFS - the top medical labs in the world have investigated this thing backwards and forwards... but now madame death wants to start investigating the drivers... another 10 year quest... just in prelim meetings alone. They make me so sick (and lots of people dead.)

iol

tibby.dude

Executive Member
I thought the only driver was unprotected sex with an infected person.

But then the former chairman of the National Aids Council our very own 100% Zulu boy according to his supportors also believes that a nice long cold shower is all that is required to get rid of the virus once you have slept with an infected person.

kilo39

Executive Member
But then the former chairman of the National Aids Council our very own 100% Zulu boy according to his supporters also believes that a nice long cold shower is all that is required to get rid of the virus once you have slept with an infected person.
Sad but true - and he was once head of AIDS awareness?! Cannot understand how a government can commit purposeful genocide against its own people.

:mad:

kilo39

Executive Member
Anybody see the summary on E a little while ago - how every bit of good has been deliberately blocked by the government - drug companies want to distribute ARV's for free - gub says can't do it, refuses aid, etc.

... and now they want to talk about it again.. for the nth time. Including refusing (now reversed) SA's aids activists going to a meeting at the UN.
The health ministry said earlier this month that the TAC, which was nominated for a Nobel prize in 2004, was scored off the list of invitees because of a concern over its position on HIV, sparking criticism from Aids activists.
iol

Prevention of HIV infection has become the forgotten child of Southern Africa's response to the disease - and this needs to change.
This was the word from Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, who was speaking at the launch of the Africa regions campaign of the Year of Accelerated HIV Prevention on Tuesday.
Sick bitch.

schitz011

Expert Member
I updated my drivers recently and now the whole system works better...

Seriously though, hundreds of thousands more will die of AIDS in Southern Africa before any happens that has an impact for good (if anything ever does happen, which I think more likely till some big knob gets AIDS..)

ajak

Expert Member
I know this is not a nice thing to say,but i`m going to say it anyway,I HOPE, Manto, GETS AIDS,perhaps she and zuma can swap some fluids:mad:

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
schitz011 said:
I updated my drivers recently and now the whole system works better...

Seriously though, hundreds of thousands more will die of AIDS in Southern Africa before any happens that has an impact for good (if anything ever does happen, which I think more likely till some big knob gets AIDS..)

Nope nothing will happen remember Mandela's son died of aids and still nothing happened

kilo39

Executive Member
Nope nothing will happen remember Mandela's son died of aids and still nothing happened
Yup, I don't understand this. It is the same with crime - some top people have been affected by crime - but nothing gets done. In fact that could sum up the whole government for 12 years - nothing gets done - except them fatcats get richer.

Such a lack of caring, empathy - like the very worst of the apartheid regime.

:mad:

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
Kilo in a way thats correct but remember the apartheid government were for white only and they did care for the white people. Look at the current government the majority of their voters are black and the government itself is black and the majority of HIV infected people are black but the government doesnt want to do something to help them.

Edit: Even Desmond Tutu said a while ago on an interview that he thought the white people would be happy that the black scum is dying out but its actually the white people thats doing the most for people with HIV. Not trying to turn this into a racist thread but rather just want to highlight that this government doesnt give a fsck about the people suffering with aids

Last edited:

Brewmaster

"That guy"
tibby.dude said:
I thought the only driver was unprotected sex with an infected person.
no, tibby, ur wrong. ur forgetting about a whole lot of things... drugs, for one. and also, some people, especially women/girls, are so poor (might be hard for some to farthom) that if some older and rich-ish guy comes flashing money and making promises, they would see this as an opportunity out of poverty and end up sleeping with the guy (without protection of course because if she doesn't - he would say to her - that means she doesn't love him) not knowing that he does the same thing to dozens of other women and thats how they get infected, and then after a while the guy leaves. and because they're in such poor places they don't have clinics etc. so they cant even know if they're infected, then the process just repeats. read the statistics. most HIV people in SA are people who live in poverty stricken areas.
one would have to be naive to think that this problem is as simple as "unprotected sex".
the reason why USA/UK et al have such low infection rates is exactly because of this... they have virtually no poverty. so the very few people that are HIV positive there most likely got the virus because of unprotected sex & drugs.
"unprotected sex" - puhhlease

tibby.dude

Executive Member
imajin said:
most HIV people in SA are people who live in poverty stricken areas.
Modification in sexual behaviour through education and increased use of condoms and delaying the onset of sexual behaviour and fewer partners is the only reason why some countries in Sub Saharan Africa i.e Uganda are more effective than others in the fight against Aids.

schitz011

Expert Member
imajin said:
the reason why USA/UK et al have such low infection rates is exactly because of this... they have virtually no poverty.
Try telling that to the millions of unemployed peeps in the US/UK/Europe.

Granted it's not extreme poverty like here, but to imagine everyone in the UK/US/Europe is well off is a misunderstanding. The big difference is that there are state care factilites in place for welfare, health etc.. Here the poor have bugger all from the government, that is the difference..

kilo39

Executive Member
Special Assignment - how Africa is being devastated by AIDS... and how little the governments are doing. So many deaths are recorded as "unknown" - the disease is not even really acknowledged. The same can be said for SA - where people are recorded as dying from TB or whatever when the base cause is really AIDS.

The Republic of South Africa is a comparatively large country, covering 1.2 million square kilometres and with an estimated population of about 40 million. Some 13% of all the people in the world living with HIV can be found in South Africa. UNAIDS estimates that at the end of 2003 there were 5.3 million people in South Africa living with HIV, equivalent to 21.5% of the adult population.
-
A survey published in March 2004 found that South Africans spend more time at funerals than they do having their hair cut, shopping or having Bar-B-Qs. It found that over twice as many people had been to a funeral in the past month as had been to a wedding. It is estimated that about 600 people in South Africa die of HIV-related illnesses each day.

Whatever the precise levels of infection are, what is certainly clear is that the problem is a huge one.
http://www.avert.org/aidssouthafrica.htm

I think there should be compulsory testing for visits to state hospitals.