[Hoax?] Vodacom impersonators taking cellphone number and IMEI for a "new" deal of 5GB data

RuhanSA079

Hello,

My father forwarded me a voicenote of a poliesman talking and warning of people in Shoprite, Boxer and Checkers, saying they are Vodacom representatives, offering people 5GB of free data, but need the cellphone number and IMEI number.

After taking the details, the phone must stay off for two hours, in order for the "extra data to take effect"

Meanwhile, the thieves do a CashSend to a ATM, boom. Gone is your money.
This sounds entirely possible?

Do they report your phone as stolen, und proceed with the classic sim-swop?
or do they go the hardcore way of impersonating your cellphone number and IMEI with a hacktool? --> Not sure if possible, they need the IMSI as well?

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
That is not a how a cashsend works. Even to transfer airtime requires a PIN Code.
Its a hoax

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
How do they magically do a cashsend from your internet banking I assume, with only a sim card and imei number?

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Not internet banking, Cellphone banking. Like you use a USSD code to access that service.
Ahhhhh. Forgot about that. I dont have that crap activated on my phone. Bank using internet banking or the android banking app. Both with require a password.

The_MAC

Executive Member
I don't trust any Whatsapp voice notes - and why is it always some random policeman that is warning of all these scams

Not saying there are no scams like this, but reporting on false scams just causes panic, especially for technologically illiterate people

RandomGeek

Sounds hoax-y to me to be honest. As said this approach will not give them your name or ID number nor IMSI of the SIM

RuhanSA079

I don't trust any Whatsapp voice notes - and why is it always some random policeman that is warning of all these scams

Not saying there are no scams like this, but reporting on false scams just causes panic, especially for technologically illiterate people
That's what I thought as well, basically FUD...

Daruk

Honorary Master
The most unbelievable part is that the cops have time to walk around malls talking to random people... and that someone thinks that's a convincing strategy to get a message out.
And one good citizen had the presence of mind to record the cop and do what the cops didn't think of - use media.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
As believable as the one about entering your pin number backwards at the ATM and the police will arrive.