Holiday Destination (On Route South Korea)

L-Dog

Hey Guys

We are visiting my wife's sister in South Korea in December but unfortunately she has limited leave so she has to work most off the time. Since we are travelling for +- 10 days we only want to spend 3-4 days in Korea and try another destinations on route. The flights seems to limit our options basically Hong Kong, Singapore or UAE. Any recommendations or other places we can try on route ?

*Was in Singapore last year on the way to Thailand and loved it but want to try a new place.

Thanks

Arex

Hong Kong, Taiwan (Taipei), Thailand (phuket, krabi, bangkok), Singapore, Malaysia , Indonesia (bali) all excellent choices but depends on your budget.

Hong Kong, Taiwan seem to be the best choices personally as they are perfectly on route and have many flight options to korea.

L-Dog

Hong Kong, Taiwan (Taipei), Thailand (phuket, krabi, bangkok), Singapore, Malaysia , Indonesia (bali) all excellent choices but depends on your budget.

Hong Kong, Taiwan seem to be the best choices personally as they are perfectly on route and have many flight options to korea.
Thanks Bali probably the 1st choice as the beach is always a winner. Not sure what there is to do in Hong Kong or Taiwan?

Arex

Thanks Bali probably the 1st choice as the beach is always a winner. Not sure what there is to do in Hong Kong or Taiwan?
Hong Kong and Taiwan are fairly similar but it depends on what you looking for, Taiwan has more variety in beaches, resorts nature etc compared to Hong Kong which is more city based. Mainland China is also another option but i can only recommend on what you are looking for?

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Bali
Very nice but it's quite far out of the way - about 5 hours south of HK, and I don't know of any good flights from SA to get there. The nearest major hub is probably Singapore. I've only been around Denpasar area so I can't comment on the rest of the island.

If you go, spend some time in Ubud, and go for a cooking class at Casa Luna Cooking School. It was the highlight of my trip. We made three different balinese curries from scratch - as in, all the raw spices and roots on a grindstone. Food was amazing!

Day trip to Nusa Penida is worth doing as well. Walk around Denpasar and haggle with the travel agent shops for a good deal. The one we went on included some time snorkelling and some time driving around the island and catching some great views.

Hong Kong
Hong Kong is seriously underrated. It has beaches, if that's what you're after. If you're here during the summer, try to get on a junk boat (not the ferry, but a boat party). Most of the territory is mountains, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of hiking trails for every skill level.

If you're after food, this place will blow your mind. The Chinese food we get in the west is mostly very badly done and/or bastardised Cantonese food, and then only a very small subset. For the real thing, you have to come to Hong Kong. Sitting down to a proper Dim Sum is something you can't afford to miss, ditto some char siu (Cantonese BBQ). Aside from that, there's an unimaginable variety of food form different regions of China.

If you want some Japanese food, Hong Kong (along with Taiwan) are the best place outside of Japan to be. Japan also has a huge variety of regional foods, and it's all available in Hong Kong. Most South East Asian foods are available around every corner, but quality varies. Vietnamese is generally great, Thai can be hit/miss (too localised if you don't know where you're going). Lots of Filipinos and Indonesian workers so there are good options for those. Authentic French/Italian/Spanish/etc if you're willing to spend serious money. Steak - OMG - Where do you want your beef from? US? UK? Australia? NZ? South Africa? Argentina? Take your pick. More good steak houses per sq km than anywhere in the world: Hong Kong has the highest per capita meat consumption in the world - by a long shot - and 3rd highest beef consumption (SA is 17th!). And if you're feeling adventurous, there are more esoteric options like Peruvian/Japanese fusion.

There's lots to see too. Lots of historical stuff - the place has a long and difficult history. The Museum of Hong Kong History takes you from the pre-historic era to current day - well worth a day. The big budda, Disney world, Kowloon park, Avenue of stars, etc. The missus informs me the shopping is pretty good too. You can taking surfing lessons (wave's are gentle enough for beginners), and diving is hugely popular too. Public transport is extensive, super efficient and cheap.

Taiwan
Flights to Taiwan are cheap and plenty - it's basically like a bus stop: one every 15 minutes.

Taipei is very similar to Hong Kong in many ways. Fewer high rises, more space, excellent public transport. It's a bit more laid back, people are very friendly. Food tends more to Chinese and Japanese options, and there's a fair bit of crossover between the two. The place is riddled with hot springs too. Everything from a public hot spring that's nothing fancy but clean and does the job, to a hotels with private room with their own hot spring supplied bath. Great hiking in the hills surrounding Taipei too - it's really beautiful. Outside of Taipei There's plenty to see too, similar to Hong Kong. Mountains all the way down the middle, great hiking, Taroko gorge, Alishan. In the south you can find white sand beaches with palm trees and crystal clear water.

Hope this helps!

RandomGeek

Hey Guys

We are visiting my wife's sister in South Korea in December but unfortunately she has limited leave so she has to work most off the time. Since we are travelling for +- 10 days we only want to spend 3-4 days in Korea and try another destinations on route. The flights seems to limit our options basically Hong Kong, Singapore or UAE. Any recommendations or other places we can try on route ?

*Was in Singapore last year on the way to Thailand and loved it but want to try a new place.

Thanks
And how about Japan? Costly but plenty of stuff to do or see

L-Dog

Thanks Koffiejunkie. Bali is just to big of a detour. Have no real knowledge about HongKong or Taiwan but I see the flights are very reasonably priced. I would say Japan is probably my 3rd option, can get good prices via emirates but might want to see it in summer and is probably a country i will visit in the future whereas Hongkong / Taiwan might not be.

Last edited:

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
No worries. If you decide on Hong Kong, shoot me a PM, I'll give you some food recommendations. Had family over for 2 weeks and we ate something different every meal - they loved all of it!

sandwitch

Koffiejunkie is 100%.
Hong Kong! Food!
And you can't go to the restaurants for tourists. The best food is in the little shops on the street where you share tables and benches with other people and have to eat in a rush because there's a line outside and no one eats slowly in those places. The Botanical Gardens are cool. As are the Nan Lian gardens that has the most amazing vegetarian food ever. And I'm not vegetarian. You can ride the Central-Mid-levels escalator as far as it can go and from there walk to Victoria Peak. From KH you can also catch a ferry to Macau for a day to see the sights there.

Taiwan! Food was good too. I loved it and could've spent more time there.

But! I'd spend 3 days in Hong Kong in a long layover and then head to Japan and explore Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo for 2 weeks because there's more to see and do there.
It's expensive (esp. with visa costs) but lots of trains and buses make it easy to get around. You can walk to a lot of places and rent bicycles for a day (I think in a couple of areas they're free for tourists). Lots to see. More importantly, lots of different things to see and do. I'd marry their Daiso and stationery if I could. And their matcha-chocolate covered strawberries from the Muji Store.
Crafts are mind-blowingly beautiful - expensive - but gorgeous to see. I did glass blowing for, I think, $10.
Just don't go to any manga museum if you're a fan. Not worth it.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I'd marry their Daiso and stationery if I could. And their matcha-chocolate covered strawberries from the Muji Store.
Hot tip: You can get each of those in Hong Kong. In fact, if you're willing to do a little bit of research, there's very few Japanese things you can't get in Hong Kong. Hong Kongers are crazy about all things Japan. (Source: live in HK, have Japanese partner)

poffle

Executive Member
I'd def recommend Hong Kong, such an awesome city, its on route, flight prices are reasonable, you can fly direct if you want (HUGE time saver). There is loads to do especially for just a few days. Food, Disneyland, hiking, beaches, ferrys to islands and the big buddha, cable cars, food, electronics shopping, food, city viewpoints, great public transport, shopping (if you in to that), Macau

I would save Japan for its own trip, its a long flight and there is just so much to see and do there that going for 3-5 days is a waste.

Taiwan can't comment but its super popular and people love it.

Polly101

Bangkok? don't think its a direct flight though

I'd also vote for Hong Kong, on my bucket list for the food

sandwitch

Hot tip: You can get each of those in Hong Kong. In fact, if you're willing to do a little bit of research, there's very few Japanese things you can't get in Hong Kong. Hong Kongers are crazy about all things Japan. (Source: live in HK, have Japanese partner)
I looked every where in HK (and SK) for Muji's matcha-chocolate covered strawberries & couldn't find them. If I had I would've bought out all the stores. They're like little bits of heaven in a bag.

L-Dog

Thanks for all the info guys will check flight prices later this year now the only decision is Hong Kong or Taiwan?

poffle

Executive Member
Thanks for all the info guys will check flight prices later this year now the only decision is Hong Kong or Taiwan?
IMO because of time limitations, Hong Kong, direct on Cathay Pacific + cheapest. Don't wait too long to book for December, prices are gonna start rising very quickly.

sandwitch

IMO because of time limitations, Hong Kong, direct on Cathay Pacific + cheapest. Don't wait too long to book for December, prices are gonna start rising very quickly.
I second Poffle. HK is cheapest and it's best to book soon.

Taiwan vs HK depends what you're looking for in a vacation. HK is smaller, more urban and westernised, and easier to get around. Taiwan is larger, more Asian, and a little harder to get around to see all the sights in the interior.