Home Affairs requiring couples to produce the BI-30 marriage document

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
SITUATION: You go to Home Affairs to get a copy of your marriage certificate and you are told that you need to produce a BI-30 form or DHA-30 form that the marriage officer was supposed to give you as proof of the marriage.

PROBLEM: Marriage Officers were not instructed or obliged to give you a copy of that form before 2013.

BACKGROUND: This requirement of the couple having to produce the BI-30 is a fairly recent one and home affairs is doing it because they don't want to have to go and search for their copy at the head office in Pretoria (the head office is a huge mess). There was no requirement before 2013 that the marriage officer had to keep a copy or that he had to give a copy to the couple. So how Home Affairs expects them to produce it is beyond me.

There were 2 copies of each page in the old BI-30 books (The BI-30 books were replaced by the DHA-30 books two years ago).
The rule with the BI-30 books was that the marriage officer hands the top copy to home Affairs after the wedding.
Then when he was finished with the whole book, he handed the entire book to Home Affairs.
So the couple was never given a copy of that page.
The new DHA-30 books have 3 copies, and the new rule is that the couple gets given the middle copy.
But this is now a nightmare for people who were marred before 2013/14.

SOLUTION: You can tell Home Affairs that they should have both copies, but I don't know if it will help.
They are very thick headed. So doing the Affidavits is the only other things you can do.
Please see the template of the affidavit in the next post.
You don't need to sign again... and yes the affidavits are legally acceptable.
The Director of Home Affairs is obligated according to the marriage act to declare a marriage as valid where he is satisfied that the marriage actually took place.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
AFFIDAVIT

I, ELSIE CLOETE, a female, aged 31 years old, do hereby swear under oath the following:

I am a citizen of South Africa. My ID Number is 84____ ____ ___ .

I was born on the 19th of MARCH, 1984 in ___________________, SOUTH AFRICA.

My maiden name was ELSIE VAN DOREN. I was married on the 17th June, 2011.

I currently reside at _______________________ (Address) and have done so since _______ (Date) with my husband. The house is owned by _____________________ .

My husband’s name is ANDRE CLOETE, ID Number 83____ ____ ___ .

My Home Telephone number is ______________ and my Cellular Number is ____________________.

I hereby declare that I was a witness at a wedding that took place between JOHN SMITH and ALICE SMITH (Nee’______________) on _____date_______ at _______place________ .

The following people were present at the Wedding:

I witnessed the wedding taking place in a legal and proper manner and as witness I signed the marriage register documents.

I swear that the above is a true and accurate state of my affairs and I know and understand the contents of this declaration.

I have no problem taking the prescribed oath.

I consider the prescribed oath to be binding on my conscience.

Signed at Johannesburg, on this Seventeenth day of June, 2014.

Last edited:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Been there done that. It's crazy, Home Affairs is essentially telling you that before they can give you a copy of your marriage certificate, you need to give them a document that they already have to prove that you are married even though they can clearly see in their computer systems (the Population Register) that you are married. So how the **** do they think you are listed as being married in the Population Register then? :twisted: Why should you have to prove that you married to get a copy of your marriage certificate when they are essentially the owners of that proof?

psion

Thank you for the clothing accounts!

Lol no wonder I can't find these people on Facebook :)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Been there done that. It's crazy, Home Affairs is essentially telling you that before they can give you a copy of your marriage certificate, you need to give them a document that they already have to prove that you are married even though they can clearly see in their computer systems (the Population Register) that you are married. So how the **** do they think you are listed as being married in the Population Register then? :twisted: Why should you have to prove that you married to get a copy of your marriage certificate when they are essentially the owners of that proof?
Exactly, you can stand there and send the sms right from your phone, and it will come back as married, but they still want you to produce a form that you were never given, that they received from the marriage officer years ago (and then probably lost).

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Exactly, you can stand there and send the sms right from your phone, and it will come back as married, but they still want you to produce a form that you were never given, that they received from the marriage officer years ago (and then probably lost).
Friends went thought something like that (the marraige register had not been submitted) ... then got their marraige on the system finally with soem toruble, just to divorce 3 years later. Doh!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
What's even more infuriating is that they make you wait anything up to 8 weeks to get an unabridged marriage certificate, when it only takes them 2 minutes to print it out and sign it. I know because I waited for ages for mine, went to home affairs in Wynberg only to be told that it wasn't ready yet. I kicked up a huge fuss, and then some tannie in the back just went and printed it out and signed it and gave it to me. So why couldn't they just do that in the first place when I first applied instead of making me wait 8 weeks.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What's even more infuriating is that they make you wait anything up to 8 weeks to get an unabridged marriage certificate, when it only takes them 2 minutes to print it out and sign it. I know because I waited for ages for mine, went to home affairs in Wynberg only to be told that it wasn't ready yet. I kicked up a huge fuss, and then some tannie in the back just went and printed it out and signed it and gave it to me. So why couldn't they just do that in the first place when I first applied instead of making me wait 8 weeks.
They got the power!

[video=youtube;_BRv9wGf5pk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk[/video]

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
Home affairs has gone to pot again after Dlamini Zuma has left.

The queues are back as well as disinterested staff and they are just full of *****. I have been trying to get my Vault copy of my birth certificate for the last 3 and a half years. long story short - it is now stuck at the point where they want me to prove my citizenship and I am like "well if I am asking for my birth certificate of this country - then would it not suffice to say that I was fcking born here and therefore a citizen of the country!!!"

deweyzeph

Executive Member

The queues are back as well as disinterested staff and they are just full of *****. I have been trying to get my Vault copy of my birth certificate for the last 3 and a half years. long story short - it is now stuck at the point where they want me to prove my citizenship and I am like "well if I am asking for my birth certificate of this country - then would it not suffice to say that I was fcking born here and therefore a citizen of the country!!!"
That's crazy. Birth certificates are public record. Anyone can obtain a copy of anybody else's birth certificate without needing to prove anything.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

It's not so much the workers I have an issue with, you get bad eggs and good eggs. It's the idiots at the top that make up such stupid and arb rules.

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
That's crazy. Birth certificates are public record. Anyone can obtain a copy of anybody else's birth certificate without needing to prove anything.
You actually want to see the ***** i have been through with this and the lies I have been told from the same women at the Home affairs office.