Home Affairs staff banned from using smartphones at work

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
Transparency is good and but there is still a relationship that should be respected between the employer and the employee, what's next, are we going to demand to sit in on the disciplinary hearings since the must be transparency in the public service?
Fck em

TysonRoux

Expert Member
At least this gives the public more motivation to film the lazy cnuts using their phones and watching the reaction from the "management" to the videos on the net.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Transparency is good and but there is still a relationship that should be respected between the employer and the employee, what's next, are we going to demand to sit in on the disciplinary hearings since the must be transparency in the public service?
You're reaching.

Its more likely that you see the same goons paying more attention to their phones than their jobs each time one visits HA, regardless of the public announcement of the new rules on cell phones.

Gnome

Executive Member
We are giving these guys a hard time but as far as I understand it, they deliver passports within 2 weeks now?

Not too bad (in SA only I should add, outside GLHF)

SilverCode

The last time I was at home affairs the officials were on their phones while waiting for their IT systems to respond. I had a clear view of the PC as I was sitting at the desk, and the guy would click a button and then wait 2 minutes for the system to respond. I was on my phone more than he was waiting for their pos IT system to respond to the fact that I wanted my ID card.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guys in the video were passing time while waiting for the computers to come back to life. Heck, while I was getting my passport a few years ago I they had to shut down 2 out of 3 operational queues because Windows decided to do an update.

neoprema

Expert Member
While I don't think its fair to deny people simple things in life like their phone, I do think this is a good idea.

I went for a new drivers license and there was queue of about 50 people waiting to be served. The 1 lady to serve us would call a person to help them, then pick up her cellphone and laugh at whatsapp messages for 5 minutes while the person just sat there. repeat...

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Not sure what Almien van der Berg does with her phone but responding to my calls in any way is certainly not on her activity list

ebendl

Expert Member
Simple -- make your bonus directly dependent on how many people get their IDs thanks to your processing per year.

Give each user a login and let him/her process IDs/passports using his/her login. And don't make it a certain threshold - only give bonuses to the top 10% of home affairs staff or something.

That way a slow IT system doesn't become the citizen's problem -- Home Affairs staff will irritate the IT department to come and fix it.

(Obviously you need to safegaurd this system against corruption, which I guess is the flaw. I dunno - #blockchain? :p )

TysonRoux

Expert Member
can clients report the staff?
Most certainly they can, but remember that "a fish rots from the head".

How many times, and how many years, have we heard that the HA is on a drive to stamp out corruption.
Those HA "workers" you see loafing around get paid more for their illegal activities.

ID paper corruption allegations
17 February 2009

A group of men from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) alleged that fellow asylum-seekers were brokering deals whereby applicants were fast-tracked to obtain residence status papers that enabled them to live and work in the province.

According to Rajen Aiyer, head of the Durban organised crime unit, the unit had been investigating cases of corruption involving Home Affairs for the past seven years, and the alleged scams took many forms.

"With the vast influx into our country of foreign nationals, all of whom are desperate for asylum and the ability to live and work here, we find that there is a lot of exploitation," Aiyer said.

"The refugees and asylum seekers have to stand in queues for long periods, and understandably become frustrated. Because they are gullible and not aware of how things work, they get drawn into scams by people who promise to make the process easier.

"Language barriers mean they are sometimes scammed by their own people. Not, I would like to stress, necessarily people from the DRC. They could be from anywhere."

The Department of Home Affairs is taking the men's allegations seriously as part of its attempt to stamp out corruption within its ranks.

One of the complainants, who told the Daily News he was "very sad and unhappy that vulnerable people were being exploited by their own countrymen, who should understand their suffering", said that in his experience the Che Guevara (Moore) Road branch of the home affairs department was "a seat of corruption".

He alleged that officials within the department were in cahoots with "voluntary" translators, who told refugees they could "sort out their residency status" for bribes ranging from R800 to R2 000. If they could not afford the bribe, said the source, there were other ways to work off the debt.

"Women are told that if they offer their bodies, they will get the papers. This is inexcusable, because most of them have already been through trauma, including rape, in the strife-torn countries they fled from."

The accepted policy for refugees is first to apply for a temporary residence permit.

Once this has been issued, the merits of their application are investigated, and they are interviewed by home affairs officials.

If successful in their application, and having passed screening, they are granted a so-called "status" paper, which permits them to work or study in their adopted home.

After five to six years, provided that they are model citizens, they become eligible to apply for permanent residence.

The sources said they knew of a number of applicants who had spent little or no time in Home Affairs queues, yet suddenly had their paperwork.

"The services Home Affairs offers to refugees are supposed to be free of charge, but it has become a business," one man complained. "This is discrimination against the poor. It is difficult to watch some people buy their papers while those who can't afford the bribes are forced to live as illegals."

The sources said it was "laughable" that cameras had been installed in the Che Guevara Road Home Affairs office and others, in an attempt to stamp out corruption.

"These people are not stupid. The transactions don't happen in the office, but in Mahatma Gandhi (Point) Road. Money is handed over by the applicant, and the "translator" gives him or her the residence papers provided by his contact at Home Affairs. Later you see the fraudsters partying together in a bar. It is common knowledge. But we are all afraid of repercussions, and don't know who to report it to."

Nokthula Ndlovu, corruption officer with the department's anti-corruption team, is to hold a confidential meeting with the informants later this week, at which the SAPS will also be represented.

GreatWmR

The employees at my local home affairs are to old to know what a phone is anyways
The half hour coffee breaks every 10 min now that should be banned, in the post office too

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
This just shows you how short-sighted and silly both politicians and the public is. Why is everybody so pleased with this new asinine rule, when cell phones has nothing to do with why service is so sht at Home Affairs?

And I am sure many on here are parents. What happens when your kid is in an emergency and you need to be gotten hold of? Now your office job does not allow cell phone use? It is a stupid rule that will have no effect on the problem.