Home Affairs systems are always down because it is getting what it pays for - SITA

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Real reason Home Affairs systems are always down — it is getting what it pays for

State Information Technology Agency (SITA) boss Luvuyo Keyise has hit back at the Minister of Home Affairs after the Minister suggested that his department’s ills can all be traced back to SITA.

In a Budget Vote debate at the National Council of Provinces, Minister Aaron Motsoaledi said that the IT system is the “original sin” of Home Affairs.

To resolve their problems, Home Affairs has asked National Treasury to exempt them from having to procure IT services through SITA.

“We have actually identified why [the South African Revenue Service] doesn’t have systems down,” the Motsoaledi said.

“It’s because it has been exempted from getting these services through SITA and we are working with Treasury to do that.”

However, Keyise said that Home Affairs’ problems are not SITA’s fault, but due to the department’s own ineptitude and unwillingness to pay for the quality of service it actually needs.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

Kryptonite

You get what you deserve..........i'd love to help but i dont have enough black in me to get a job at Sita. Absolutely hope they get worse and fall to pieces.

Johand

Expert Member
Haha - this sounds like the internal tension in most corporate between IT and Business. Don't think it is unique to government.

For all the criticism this is a tough nut to crack - how to get the most reliable service for the least amount of money. If home affairs go for platinum then they will be criticized on cost.

I sympathise with the home affairs people. Running a reliable country wide network spread into rural areas with 58 million customers is difficult. Especially if your IT budget doesn't look like a banks budget!

Peon

Expert Member
My personal interaction with SITA's "work" leaves much to be desired. The SITA dude made good points but I doubt they posses the required competency in staff to service a entity that in turn services 58 million people. The private sector I believe in this regard excels in maintaining service levels in par with agreement and the skills leveraged. What Home Affairs is actually saying is that SITA cant even provide competent skills for their tier they agreed to.

Kawak

My personal interaction with SITA's "work" leaves much to be desired. The SITA dude made good points but I doubt they posses the required competency in staff to service a entity that in turn services 58 million people. The private sector I believe in this regard excels in maintaining service levels in par with agreement and the skills leveraged. What Home Affairs is actually saying is that SITA cant even provide competent skills for their tier they agreed to.
I think SITA should have one job, standardize gov IT, provide guidance to gov departments and tier them accordingly, that's it, the procured service can then be tendered and outsourced at those levels.

Cius

Executive Member
Captive markets bread incompetence. I strongly suspect home affairs is more right here. Anyways, time will tell, hopefully they get a better provider and can actually have 99%+ up time. Even better if the license system for car renewals goes the same way cause they always seem to be down.

Gazg

"it is getting what it pays for"

Or lack of.......just about sums it up nicely about all government departments.

Last edited:

B-1

Expert Member
Having interacted with both none of them should be throwing stones.

Peon

Expert Member
I think SITA should have one job, standardize gov IT, provide guidance to gov departments and tier them accordingly, that's it, the procured service can then be tendered and outsourced at those levels.
Yes they should, but doing such scheduling is even impossible.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
eHomeAffairs is so cheap, they didn't even bother adding a "Delete Application" button.

I started an application online last year March, but never completed it cause thats when lockdown happened.
Then a few days ago, over a year later I started another application, then I get a message that I cannot continue this application cause there's an older application, and then on the older application they say I cannot submit it cause there's another application. So I thought if I could delete one of them, it would solve the issue, but no such function.

also tried emailing their support yesterday afternoon, but within 30 seconds I get a bounce back.

garp

Executive Member
They may be "getting what they paid for", but IMHO it is also the responsibility of the provider to realise that their own reputation is on the line when they provide an unsuitable under-specced service so it really isn't good enough to clear yourself of any responsibility in the matter. You wouldn't sell someone who wants to walk to the South Pole some crap jerseys from Mr Price because you know they are going to die of hypothermia, likewise, don't sell crap IT services that you know are unsuitable just because it is easier than wrangling with their board over cost.

eg2505

Honorary Master
you get what you pay for, witch isnt much by the sounds of it.