Home Affairs website – Down for days

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The Department of Home Affairs continued to post pictures and videos of Minister Siyabonga Cwele on Twitter, but did not mention its website downtime.
Did you even bother to ask what's going on over said Twitter?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I can log on and have been able to the whole time, as I'm urgently waiting for my new passport.

Home Affairs.JPG
Edit: I see there's another site for some reason...oh, well.

It took 2 1 2 weeks to renew my Irish Passport online. No queue . This place is becoming more of a disaster by the minute!

Napalm2880

Expert Member
It took 2 1 2 weeks to renew my Irish Passport online. No queue . This place is becoming more of a disaster by the minute!
It took 1 week for me to renew my NZ passport - from starting the application online to the courier dropping off the new one at my doorstep - and that included a weekend inbetween - so 4 working days!

whatwhat

Executive Member
It took 1 week for me to renew my NZ passport - from starting the application online to the courier dropping off the new one at my doorstep - and that included a weekend inbetween - so 4 working days!
Unfortunately there is a lot of people that don't get to experience first world efficiency, and think that its business as usual the extremely long time it takes to get things done in South Africa.

Kelerei

2.5 weeks for the SO to get her UK passport renewed, including time taken for previous passport and supporting docs (ZA marriage certificate since she's finally putting it in her married name) to be couriered from NZ to the UK and for the new passport to be sent over. Actual processing time in the UK was 4 working days; much of it was courier time (and the fact that, if counting intermediate stops, the couriers used the world's longest flight).

The timeframe mentioned above to renew a NZ passport is about correct if renewing via the standard service (up to 10 working days). There's also an urgent service (up to 3 working days) and a same-day emergency call-out service, for which costs are obviously significantly higher: $191 for standard service, $382 for urgent service, $775 for same day call-out.

Meanwhile, the South African High Commission in Wellington is quoting a minimum of 6 months for a passport renewal.

Last edited: