Home Affairs years behind on plan to completely replace ID books

Oh.. I completely forgot about Smart ID cards. Looks like the government did, too.

It's not just naturalised South African citizens who can't get the ID card. ANY South African citizen who was born overseas, i.e. they were South African from birth, but just happened to have been born overseas, is not eligible for a smartcard ID. It's so stupid.

Would never give my wife the card as she was a permanent resident and not a citizen so she had her second ID book till we got married and then got her 3'rd (they made several mistakes in her forst ID book so she had to get it replaced).

I still have my green one simply because I get an anxiety attack thinking of just having to go to that cesspit of a government queue and you get to the front and the KFC finger lady says "sorry, system is offline , come back tomorrow"

Snort gggggrrrrrr.... Swallow.

No shyte hey.

I tried to do my ID Card a few years ago, and the only ones in the area that could do it would entail taking at least a day off work, for something that I didn't actually need. So yeah not going to happen.
More like a week's leave. And then you need to hope pray when you go fetch it as well.

I still have my green one simply because I get an anxiety attack thinking of just having to go to that cesspit of a government queue and you get to the front and the KFC finger lady says "sorry, system is offline , come back tomorrow"

Snort gggggrrrrrr.... Swallow.

It's not too bad if you do it through one of the bank branches. I just had to renew my passport and it was pretty painless. The only difficult part is trying to find an appointment.

It's not just naturalised South African citizens who can't get the ID card. ANY South African citizen who was born overseas, i.e. they were South African from birth, but just happened to have been born overseas, is not eligible for a smartcard ID. It's so stupid.
Ja, it makes no sense (well I suppose it does when you consider who is running the show)...Surely if everyone is on the same system it becomes more manageable?

One of the more useless ministers. He is not committed to his job at all

Ja, it makes no sense (well I suppose it does when you consider who is running the show)...Surely if everyone is on the same system it becomes more manageable?

I think (and it's only my guess as a software developer) that it has something to do with birth certificates. Somehow their system does not seem able to issue smartcards to South African citizens who do not have a South African birth certificate. If you think of all the use cases of who cannot get one (South African citizens born overseas, naturlised South African citizens, permanent residents, etc), the one underlying thing that they call have in common is that they would not have a South African birth certificate despite them being South African citizens with all the rights as any other South African citizen (apart from permanent residents, but they are entitled to an ID as well despite not being citizens).

I think (and it's only my guess as a software developer) that it has something to do with birth certificates. Somehow their system does not seem able to issue smartcards to South African citizens who do not have a South African birth certificate. If you think of all the use cases of who cannot get one (South African citizens born overseas, naturlised South African citizens, permanent residents, etc), the one underlying thing that they call have in common is that they would not have a South African birth certificate despite them being South African citizens with all the rights as any other South African citizen (apart from permanent residents, but they are entitled to an ID as well despite not being citizens).
I can understand a hassle as a first time ID applicant but surely if you aready hold a SA ID then your details are already stored somewhere?

I can understand a hassle as a first time ID applicant but surely if you aready hold a SA ID then your details are already stored somewhere?

You would think so. If you have an ID number then that means you are in the National Population Register and you would think that that should be sufficient. In other words, if you can get a green ID book then you should be able to get a smartcard no matter where you were born, but that does not seem to be how their system works.

You would think so. If you have an ID number then that means you are in the National Population Register and you would think that that should be sufficient. In other words, if you can get a green ID book then you should be able to get a smartcard no matter where you were born, but that does not seem to be how their system works.
Xenophobia.
"not real South Africans"

The integrity of the National Population Register might very well be an issue, but that still doesn't explain why they are prepared to issue a green ID book to these people but not a smartcard.
There's no rational reason.

I have a smart card. It says I was born in Namibia. I applied for it during a short window when there was a failure in the system to block non SA born people from applying.

There's no rational reason.

I have a smart card. It says I was born in Namibia. I applied for it during a short window when there was a failure in the system to block non SA born people from applying.
so the system is so broken and backwards that something like that is possible?

In my case I feel bad, Born outside SA in Israel, but naturalized really young in SA, and cannot get a smart ID even when my ID book photo looks when I was 10.

one thing I never understood, is why didn't the government make it compulsory to renew your ID document every 10 years?
people details change, Address, ect, so is it just more work for them?

Bad news???

I doubt anyone is desperate to pay for a new ID when they already have a valid ID book?

It should be a free exchange for existing ID book holders already in the system!

Back