Home Affairs years behind on plan to completely replace ID books

They will never be able to 100% phase out the ID book. Reason being that non-citizens are not allowed to get the ID card. They have to retain the id book. So unless they change this ruling, they will not be able to get rid of the books.

Not like people are rushing to replace them...

Tried to obtain card at East London DHA and was abruptly informed " You were not born here, so you are not entitled to a New ID card". No arguments or discussions.
As I chose to become a South African Citizen in 1994, after being a permanent resident for 20 years I feel insulted.
As a taxpayer and employer at the time, I probably have contributed more to South Africa than a great many of those "Entitled" by birth.
I would love to see a coherent answer from Aaron (Before he is fired).

Bad news???

I doubt anyone is desperate to pay for a new ID when they already have a valid ID book?

It should be a free exchange for existing ID book holders already in the system!

It's like a R140 for a new ID. You can barely buy a pizza these days for that.

I haven't had an ID for over 3 years. I moved from Uk over 40 years ago worked for the Government as a nurse but can't get a Smartcard. Live in the Eastern Cape. Used a temporary ID to vote.

I personally don't see the point of getting a smart ID card. I never go anywhere with my ID unless it's to apply for something. My driver's license card is what I use to identify myself. When the smart ID cards were first introduced I was in no rush to go get one. The idea of taking a whole day to queue and pay for something I did not need sounded dumb to me. My book is still valid and I used it to vote in the last few elections. I won't get the card unless I lose my ID book or it gets stolen or severely damaged.

I personally don't see the point of getting a smart ID card. I never go anywhere with my ID unless it's to apply for something. My driver's license card is what I use to identify myself. When the smart ID cards were first introduced I was in no rush to go get one. The idea of taking a whole day to queue and pay for something I did not need sounded dumb to me. My book is still valid and I used it to vote in the last few elections. I won't get the card unless I lose my ID book or it gets stolen or severely damaged.

A drivers license is not a valid form of ID in South Africa for most formal situations. For some reason only known to the powers that be, SA drivers licenses do not have your full name on them, only your initials, so it's completely useless as a form of ID. Try opening a bank account with a drivers license, not going to happen.

I applied for my ID back in 2000 when I got permanent residency.

Still waiting.

Government incompetence holding this country back decade after decade. WHile we don't get the nice things. We also don't get the ugly things because their incompetence to implement anything is staggeringly good.

It's not just naturalised South African citizens who can't get the ID card. ANY South African citizen who was born overseas, i.e. they were South African from birth, but just happened to have been born overseas, is not eligible for a smartcard ID. It's so stupid.

Is this still a thing? Why I haven't bothered, Green ID book has survived since 2007, so will keep using it.

Yeah, well between then and 2007, my respective IDs got laundered a few times! Last one I had had the plastic lifting and the photo just about falling out, bank lady was not impressed, lol.
Yeah, I'm really bummed I lost my previous one (from 1995), that had my drivers license in it.

I have had my little green ID book for longer than most people on this planet have been alive. Why should I have to get some fanged little card? My original drivers license is still in the back of it, yet I had to still get the license card. That little green book is still a legal document.

The integrity of the National Population Register might very well be an issue, but that still doesn't explain why they are prepared to issue a green ID book to these people but not a smartcard.

I would not be surprised to hear that the National Population Register was not backed up and the hard disk it was stored on died...

I tried to apply today online and can't register as the new smart ID is only available for South African citizens born in SA. I was born in Zambia but spent my life here. I can vote and I pay my taxes but can't get a new Smart Card ID. What happens to citizens like me. Sarah

I tried to apply today online and can't register as the new smart ID is only available for South African citizens born in SA. I was born in Zambia but spent my life here. I can vote and I pay my taxes but can't get a new Smart Card ID. What happens to citizens like me. Sarah

It's not the end of the world. Just get a new green ID book or get a South African passport which is a perfectly acceptable alternative form of ID.

Back