Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

gbyleveldt

Expert Member
Anyone have a solution for Sonoff (Tasmota) devices that just drop off the wifi network and don't come back until a power off/on?

I've noticed I have one or two on the far side of my property that occasionally drop off - and don't come back online until a power cycle, I know its not the actual device as I've swopped them out and same thing.

Just noticed my wellpoint pump has been offline for three days.
SetOption57 to 1 so that it scans for the strongest wifi signal every 44 minutes. Since I've done this, I haven't had any devices disappearing for long.

You might want to consider using SetOption36 to 0 to disable boot loop control and SetOption65 to 1 to disable fast power cycle detection (brown outs)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Thanks, also thought of setting a rule with a timer to restart every 12 hours or something... just need to figure out the syntax - assuming the device itself hasn't hung

Speedster

Honorary Master
I bought some of those seemingly nifty Xiaomi wireless outdoor cameras on a BF deal today. Has anyone incorporated them into HA as yet?

furpile

Expert Member
Has anybody bought the Connex Smart products that Vodacom is selling? Can they be integrated into HA and be used local only?

Mzezman

Has anybody bought the Connex Smart products that Vodacom is selling? Can they be integrated into HA and be used local only?
The Connex use Smart Life so Tuya integration is your friend there. Not sure if Tuya v2 does local control - all my Tuya stuff is cloud based at the moment

TedLasso

Expert Member
All I want to do, is configure my my tasmotised sonoff switch driving a bedside lamp to appear as a light in HA.

Followed the guide to make the switch entity a light as per doc's but it doesn't work.

I need the swtich to appear as a light so that I can use 'flash' on it , to make the light blink if the front gate opens after alarm is turned on. I am too dumb for this stuff. Gonna go study sand.

alqassam

Expert Member
All I want to do, is configure my my tasmotised sonoff switch driving a bedside lamp to appear as a light in HA.

Followed the guide to make the switch entity a light as per doc's but it doesn't work.

I need the swtich to appear as a light so that I can use 'flash' on it , to make the light blink if the front gate opens after alarm is turned on. I am too dumb for this stuff. Gonna go study sand.
BELIEVE and you can do it

MidnightZA

Expert Member

Why not toggle the switch then delay 0.1s. And toggle it again

Concentric

Expert Member
Anyone want a cc zigbee debugger?
I have one sitting around, can't sell it so if someone want it for free please let me know.
Norwood jhb

Grumpy Old Man

Not sure about the flashing part, but setoption30 1 should make it show up as a light.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Has anybody got Modbus with Victron equipment working on an up to date HA install? Mine was working and then I updated HA and even with the new modbus config changes I can’t get it to work.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Anyone use voice commands on HA using an RPi?

Like for example. If I'm leaving home to say some command and home assistant will respond if there are any open alarm zones.

I have google mini speakers. I tried the google home integration and that pulled 70 something switches into the Google home app but not the ones I need, and that method makes my HA too reliant to the internet so I removed it.

In the same breath, how can I voice control devices on ESPhome? I got a few relays that I want to control a few outside lights (apart from the normal automations)

Neuk_

Executive Member
Has anybody got Modbus with Victron equipment working on an up to date HA install? Mine was working and then I updated HA and even with the new modbus config changes I can’t get it to work.

I managed to figure it out with the help of the HA forums :) Now to crack on with exploring the art of the possible.

mrb13676

I managed to figure it out with the help of the HA forums :) Now to crack on with exploring the art of the possible.
Cool.
Mine is working but I find im quite limited by the limited number of tcp modules installed - I only have com.victronenergy.solarcharger, com.victronenergy.vebus and com.victronenergy.system. I wish there was more ability to control the system from HA - elective battery discharge runs etc - I'm wasting solar power in thie hot summer because once batteries are charged we can only produce what we use...

Would be nice to be able to control it so that the batteries run for a bit every day in the evening....

Neuk_

Executive Member
Cool.
Mine is working but I find im quite limited by the limited number of tcp modules installed - I only have com.victronenergy.solarcharger, com.victronenergy.vebus and com.victronenergy.system. I wish there was more ability to control the system from HA - elective battery discharge runs etc - I'm wasting solar power in thie hot summer because once batteries are charged we can only produce what we use...

Would be nice to be able to control it so that the batteries run for a bit every day in the evening....

I haven't looked at controlling via HA, I know @Sinbad did some magic with his when he was still in SA, he also taught me how to schedule when battery is available to be used but that I manage via our Venus GX. At the moment the batteries are set to stay at 100% SOC and are on a scheduled charge the entire day so we don't use them but once we have LFP that will change. @Priapus also uses HA to monitor and control his inverter but it isn't a Victron.

tRoN

Executive Member
Anyone found a way to link a legacy type video intercom to get a notification when someone buzzes then have an external camera view the screen ?

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Something strange happened to my HA yesterday.

From about 9:45AM the memory use started climbing but CPU usage was fairly constant.
Around 6PM the CPU usage, RAM usage and temp started climbing and by 1AM my Pi just shut off, until this morning I unplugged it for about 10min, it was very hot to the touch as compared to normal. After the power cycle, its seeming to be working again.

The only change I made yesterday was to disable a few entities in PAI. My alarm reports 32 PGMs and only PGM 1 is in use. I disabled the rest.

The previous night (Tuesday) we had a power outage, and since then my fibre has been quite slow. Even last night I could barely browse the forum getting unable to load errors and showing offline page etc.

My HA does a backup to google drive every night at 1AM. Could it be a combination of the slow fibre and backup trying to upload that caused the Pi to overheat and fail?

1638427307589.png 1638427345442.png 1638427325487.png

Tinuva

The Magician
Something strange happened to my HA yesterday.
<snip>
My HA does a backup to google drive every night at 1AM. Could it be a combination of the slow fibre and backup trying to upload that caused the Pi to overheat and fail?
Difficult to say that it was the upload. What is clear, the cpu was maxing out, causing the overheat.

You need to either know which process was maxing out cpu, or you should add fan+heatsink cooling to your pi.