Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

Veroland

Executive Member
Updated the Home Assistant OS and now the logs show it is Deepstack running in Portainer that it is complaining about. Will need to upgrade the PC to Win10 at some point so that Deepstack can run in docker I suppose.
I get the following error but Supervisor is still working, it only moved to the Configuration section

1639484942188.png

furpile

Expert Member
I get the following error but Supervisor is still working, it only moved to the Configuration section

View attachment 1212624
Yes mine shows the same. Don't think it is an issue at this stage. Running the Deepstack image inside HA was a workaround because Docker doesn't run in Win7. Just need some time to update that PC to Win10, but for now I will just leave it.

Veroland

Executive Member
Yes mine shows the same. Don't think it is an issue at this stage. Running the Deepstack image inside HA was a workaround because Docker doesn't run in Win7. Just need some time to update that PC to Win10, but for now I will just leave it.
Sounds correct, I am also running a few standalone containers in docker: Postgres, InfluxDB, Portainer etc.

Mine is a Pi4 with Debian

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Really not enjoying this Zigbee crap... tried both Tasmota with ZHA and with Tasmota outputting to MQTT (mode 75)... neither seem to work properly.

With ZHA, I can put a device in pairing mode on top of the damn gateway and it won't pair. 90% of the time.

Also can't get the BasicZ R3 to act as a router... same as the gateway, if the device is right next to it doesn't pair. (in pairing mode).

Veroland

Executive Member
Really not enjoying this Zigbee crap... tried both Tasmota with ZHA and with Tasmota outputting to MQTT (mode 75)... neither seem to work properly.

With ZHA, I can put a device in pairing mode on top of the damn gateway and it won't pair. 90% of the time.

Also can't get the BasicZ R3 to act as a router... same as the gateway, if the device is right next to it doesn't pair. (in pairing mode).
I am using ZHA with Sonoff ZBridge running tasmota, and I HAVE to put the devices in the same room to pair them.

I am also seeing my BasicZBR3 devices lose connection every now and then and I have to restart them. It's very frustrating. but when they are up they seem to be doing ok.

Tinuva

The Magician

Zigbee network takes a while to stabilise when you run large area with routers.

Start by running the coordinator in your preferred method, be that zha or whatever.
Then pair a few routers that are in range of the coordinater/gateway.

Leave it like that for a few days.

Then add your sensors that are not in range of the gateway/coordinator.

Veroland

Executive Member

Start by running the coordinator in your preferred method, be that zha or whatever.

Thanks for that.

I've been running mine for months and I still get the issues.
I now have 2 routers next to each other to cover the furthest part and it's been going stable for the last 2 days.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

I ran the stuff for a week, then they all started disappearing and didn't come back, its why I'm redoing everything now with zha - but its proving to be a mission. Just about all the sensors are within 10m of the coordinator (except for the one BasicZ R3 and TH sensor - which is about 15m)

The one TH sensor is about 1m away from the BasicZ R3 and won't pair- if I take it to the Co-ordinator, it'll pair (eventually) - but then when I bring it back to the lounge, won't come online again.

Veroland

Executive Member
I ran the stuff for a week, then they all started disappearing and didn't come back, its why I'm redoing everything now with zha - but its proving to be a mission. Just about all the sensors are within 10m of the coordinator (except for the one BasicZ R3 and TH sensor - which is about 15m)

The one TH sensor is about 1m away from the BasicZ R3 and won't pair- if I take it to the Co-ordinator, it'll pair (eventually) - but then when I bring it back to the lounge, won't come online again.
Weird

I have both Sonoff and Xiaomi TH sensors, I had to pair them close to the Co-ordinator, but after I moved them post pairing they connected to the router after a while as per the ZHA Visualization.

1639488728467.png

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Tempted to add another Basic - but worried I'm just tossing money to the wind - I've downgraded Tasmota to v8.5.1, which googling has be believing is the most stable.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I am using ZHA with Sonoff ZBridge running tasmota, and I HAVE to put the devices in the same room to pair them.

I am also seeing my BasicZBR3 devices lose connection every now and then and I have to restart them. It's very frustrating. but when they are up they seem to be doing ok.

IIRC Zigbee and WiFi run on similar frequencies. Is your WiFi network running on "auto" for frequency?
I used to have issues with ZHA and CC2531 dongle, I set my 2.4GHz network to a fixed band and mainly use that network for IoT devices. Phones and other devices all connect to the 5Ghz frequency. After I did that, I had no issues.

Also, the USB3 port on my Pi caused interference with my CC2531, I had to connect a USB extender and move the dongle away. Thats a common issue. Maybe you have some interference like that also?

Tinuva

The Magician

By the sound of it you may need more Z3s that are closer to the gateway.

Just double checking, have you changed/checked the zigbee channel? If it overlaps with your wifi the wifi can also cause issues, especially on longer distances, the wifi devices will win and destroy the zigbee messages.

Zigbee+wifi co-existence: https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/zigbee-wifi-coexistence.html

Veroland

Executive Member
Also, the USB3 port on my Pi caused interference with my CC2531, I had to connect a USB extender and move the dongle away. Thats a common issue. Maybe you have some interference like that also?

I've done that already with an extender. I currently run a mesh network so it is worth checking out the 2.4 frequencies

xrapidx

Honorary Master
By the sound of it you may need more Z3s that are closer to the gateway.

Just double checking, have you changed/checked the zigbee channel? If it overlaps with your wifi the wifi can also cause issues, especially on longer distances, the wifi devices will win and destroy the zigbee messages.

Zigbee+wifi co-existence: https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/zigbee-wifi-coexistence.html
Yeh, its on the default channel of 11 - but it happens to be the best of the lot available.

Managed to get all sensors up (except one), and the one finally routing via the Basic now. (think its the older Tasmota version)

Weirdly,. the one that won't pair - I can see it in the logs when I start pairing, but nothing happens, I'll try again tomorrow.

a42e5099a6c2920a1b21ad011cea6c3a.jpg

xrapidx

Honorary Master
What is the range of Zigbee devices meant to be realistically, I see my sensors are already not updating - and they're literally within 5m of the co-ordinator. (albeit on the other side of a brick wall)

EDIT: I see the one sensor it's switched the humidity and battery

Last edited:

deesef

Expert Member
Updated the Home Assistant OS and now the logs show it is Deepstack running in Portainer that it is complaining about. Will need to upgrade the PC to Win10 at some point so that Deepstack can run in docker I suppose.
I updated mine over the weekend. Everything is working fine. Running the installation on Windows 11 with Hyper-V.

Veroland

Executive Member
I am trying to check my channel on the Sonoff ZHABridge but when I try to enter any command in the console (via the Tasmota web interface) I get the following error:

1639545410962.png

I must be stupid, but I am not finding any help on google.

Edit: Running Tasmota 10.1.0.1(zbbridge)

Tinuva

The Magician
I am trying to check my channel on the Sonoff ZHABridge but when I try to enter any command in the console (via the Tasmota web interface) I get the following error:

View attachment 1213102

I must be stupid, but I am not finding any help on google.

Edit: Running Tasmota 10.1.0.1(zbbridge)
Silly question but...
Did you flash the zigbee version of tasmota or regular tasmota?
Also in zha mode you need yo force channel in home assistant. If you change it from default you need to pair devices again