Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

Veroland

Executive Member
Silly question but...
Did you flash the zigbee version of tasmota or regular tasmota?
Also in zha mode you need yo force channel in home assistant. If you change it from default you need to pair devices again
Interesting question, I followed this guide:

I think the last upgrade in the doc switches it to regular tasmota

Edit: Just check and I used tasmota-zbbridge.bin for my firmware upgrades.

Last edited:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I am trying to check my channel on the Sonoff ZHABridge but when I try to enter any command in the console (via the Tasmota web interface) I get the following error:

View attachment 1213102

I must be stupid, but I am not finding any help on google.

Edit: Running Tasmota 10.1.0.1(zbbridge)

Its the mode in you're in, if you change it you have to do all the setting up on the bridge itself and output the data over MQTT. (I found this to be worse for reliability than ZHA via home-assistant)

If you go to Configure module via the tasmota web interface, you'll see its Sonoff ZHABridge(0) - the other option is Sonoff ZbBridge (75) - which will enable all the commands, but you're going to have to redo everything.

Last edited:

Veroland

Executive Member
Its the mode in you're in, if you change it you have to do all the setting up on the bridge itself and output the data over MQTT. (I found this to be worse for reliability than ZHA via home-assistant)
I think I understand, if I change it to Module 75 I can get the zigbee options on tasmota console but ZHA does not connect to the device then.

Is there a MQTT command to check and change the zigbee channel?

Tinuva

The Magician
@xrapidx you can always wait for matter https://www.theverge.com/22787729/matter-smart-home-standard-apple-amazon-google
Will solve a lot of problems.

I think I understand, if I change it to Module 75 I can get the zigbee options on tasmota console but ZHA does not connect to the device then.

Is there a MQTT command to check and change the zigbee channel?
mqtt command is the same as running a command on the tasmota console unfortunately.

If you are on ZHA you are probably on the default zigbee channel 15. You can change it to something else if you want. See https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha/#defining-zigbee-channel-to-use
ZHA prefers to use Zigbee channel 15 by default. You can change this using YAML configuration, but this only works if there’s no existing network. To change the channel for an existing network, radio has to be factory reset and a new network to be formed. This requires re-pairing of all the devices.
Code:
zha:
  zigpy_config:
    network:
      channel: 15             # What channel the radio should try to use.
      channels: [15, 20, 25]  # Channel mask

Veroland

Executive Member
Thanks, I saw that. I read to point of resetting the radio then decided it is a problem for when I am on leave.
What bugs me is if I do a wifi scan channel 15 on Zigbee is one of the better channels to be on anyway.

As for Matter, it really looks good, some big names in there but we will have to see how it goes. It is not the first time people have tried to standardize.

Tinuva

The Magician
Midea airons with wifi module joins home assistant. Nothing fancy yet, just visible in the UI. Reads the state over wifi which is epic.

Screenshot 2021-12-18 at 14.02.29.png

Koorsblaar

Is that with the OEM WiFi module or ESP?

If with OEM can you point me to the guide or some instructions please? The Midea A/C thread in home assistant is quite confusing.

Thanks

xrapidx

Honorary Master
How are the Midea aircons? Considering one for my office, I have Daikin in the bedrooms - but to be honest, their predecessors "hisense" or something were better at cooling.

Office is a cool 32" today.

Tinuva

The Magician
Is that with the OEM WiFi module or ESP?

If with OEM can you point me to the guide or some instructions please? The Midea A/C thread in home assistant is quite confusing.

Thanks
I installed this in HACS https://github.com/mac-zhou/midea-ac-py

Only followed those steps to get the keys.

Had to try about 7 times before it worked. But once I had the keys works flawless in home assistant. Think the api cloud was wierd at the time.

Tinuva

The Magician
How are the Midea aircons? Considering one for my office, I have Daikin in the bedrooms - but to be honest, their predecessors "hisense" or something were better at cooling.

Office is a cool 32" today.
Well it cools down our office which is 32 degrees with open walk ways.

Only had it a day so I don't think I can give you a proper answer. They quiet which is amazing. Not bad on power usage and cools down as much as I expected.

The Samsung unit that was here in the bedroom was horrible. Loud and wierd noises but also non inverter unit.

So far very happy with the 3 units ordered on black Friday.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Daikin is supposed to be a really good brand tho?

We have a 12000btu and 24000btu - the 12000 is decent, the 24000btu really struggles to get the temps down in our relatively small master bedroom - we actually put it in to cool this room and the next room - but there's no way unless you wait 4+ hours.

I'm actually busy getting quotes to service them in the new year, maybe it'll help. (although, so far the response has been pretty poor)

ItherNiT

Midea airons with wifi module joins home assistant. Nothing fancy yet, just visible in the UI. Reads the state over wifi which is epic.

View attachment 1214832

Did you also connect them up to the inverter/solar? How does the energy consumption look?

I'm also made a booking for early next year and I'm still deciding if I want to connect them to the inverter or keep it on eskom. Thinking of a 12k btu for master bedroom and 9k btu for the small study. The Samsung and LG aircon's with wifi are super expensive.

Tinuva

The Magician
Did you also connect them up to the inverter/solar? How does the energy consumption look?

I'm also made a booking for early next year and I'm still deciding if I want to connect them to the inverter or keep it on eskom. Thinking of a 12k btu for master bedroom and 9k btu for the small study. The Samsung and LG aircon's with wifi are super expensive.
They went on to the normal plugs that are on solar. Unfortunately the whole house plugs are split over only 2 breakers which sucks. There no space to split it up more, so will have to manage it carefully.

tRoN

Executive Member
I have carrier central aircon unit and I used the broadlink IR transmitter and the SmartIR integration.
The aircon only comes with a wired wall controller but the aircon guy managed to install an IR receiver for me
Works like a charm

56d0aa6d5ef9a1cccdca2d5d49f2c3ec.jpg

Tinuva

The Magician
I have carrier central aircon unit and I used the broadlink IR transmitter and the SmartIR integration.
The aircon only comes with a wired wall controller but the aircon guy managed to install an IR receiver for me
Works like a charm

56d0aa6d5ef9a1cccdca2d5d49f2c3ec.jpg
That's nice, but how do you know the state of someone change settings manually with a remote or the wired controller. That's why I like the midea and Daikin WiFi modules.