Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

tRoN

Executive Member
That's nice, but how do you know the state of someone change settings manually with a remote or the wired controller. That's why I like the midea and Daikin WiFi modules.

I disconnected the wired controller.

The control is on my Apple Home so the family finds it easy to turn things on and off.

I’ve also setup automations to turn on and off based on temperature and humidity levels

66987a8561c3898b396432722a586ff2.jpg

rrh

Expert Member
We have a 12000btu and 24000btu - the 12000 is decent, the 24000btu really struggles to get the temps down in our relatively small master bedroom - we actually put it in to cool this room and the next room - but there's no way unless you wait 4+ hours.

I'm actually busy getting quotes to service them in the new year, maybe it'll help. (although, so far the response has been pretty poor)
As a rough guide: to calculate the BTU's required to cool a closed area: cubic meters * 195

The factor of 195 consists of (a) the conversion of cubic meters to cubic feet (the formula is from my very early youth) multiplied by (b) a factor of 5.5.

With regard to your 24,000 BTU unit: it sounds as though your unit needs re-gassing. NB: An air-conditioner should not require "topping up" of the gas. Any such is indicative of a leak,

Thestealth

Expert Member
I'm intrigued by the smart conversions on the dumb aircons. We have a Samsung that I'd like to make smart. We have Sonoff switches all over and have the whole setup on HA (Tasmotize will be my holiday project). Is there a Sonoff switch/relay I can use to achieve this? We don't have any Zigbee's or RF433's installed.

furpile

Expert Member
I'm intrigued by the smart conversions on the dumb aircons. We have a Samsung that I'd like to make smart. We have Sonoff switches all over and have the whole setup on HA (Tasmotize will be my holiday project). Is there a Sonoff switch/relay I can use to achieve this? We don't have any Zigbee's or RF433's installed.
I think the only option is the Broadlink IR transmitter that basically replaces your remote. You won't get any feedback from the AC but you can control it. There is a page for Broadlinks on the HA website that details which models you can integrate.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I randomly get the following error when trying to access HA, mainly on my iPhone but I can't access via my laptop when it happens, and then have to reboot the RPi...

An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made. NSURLErrorDomain - 1200

This only started happening in the last few weeks after I upgraded to Home Assistant Core core-2021.11.5 and Operating System 6.6

Does anyone have the same or a similar issue?

Veroland

Executive Member
I randomly get the following error when trying to access HA, mainly on my iPhone but I can't access via my laptop when it happens, and then have to reboot the RPi...

An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made. NSURLErrorDomain - 1200

This only started happening in the last few weeks after I upgraded to Home Assistant Core core-2021.11.5 and Operating System 6.6

That is a apple specific error, but it means there is some connection issue.

It could be a host of reasons, but I would check if HA is still reachable from the internal network when it happens first and then work my way outwards.

AmazeBalls

Been having the same issue for awhile now as well. Both on iOS and pc. Only resolved with a reboot on the Pi. Are you using a normal power cable or POE hat ?

Neuk_

Executive Member
That is a apple specific error, but it means there is some connection issue.

It could be a host of reasons, but I would check if HA is still reachable from the internal network when it happens first and then work my way outwards.

Thanks, I don’t get the same error from my laptop but HA is not reachable, either via IP address or DuckDNS.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Been having the same issue for awhile now as well. Both on iOS and pc. Only resolved with a reboot on the Pi. Are you using a normal power cable or POE hat ?

I am using a normal power cable, I updated Core and OS yesterday to the latest version, hopefully that makes a difference.

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
@Tinuva , I see at some point you shared your Goodwe yaml config file on Github, but seems to be gone now. Any chance you could DM the files or post a link again?

Tinuva

The Magician
@Tinuva , I see at some point you shared your Goodwe yaml config file on Github, but seems to be gone now. Any chance you could DM the files or post a link again?
Hey,

It is still there. I just re-arranged the files a bit to start organising the files a bit better.

You can find it in the energy folder: https://github.com/tinuva/home-assistant-config/tree/master/packages/energy

I am still using the old 0.8.9 version I think? Newer version has the ip address config etc in the gui. I am actually waiting it out for when it is merged as an official addon, which is probably going to happen early next year I think gauging the comments on the github pull request: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/58503

Quite a few things will be changing too, so I will have to re-do some of my automations, but since I am actually merging some of my duplicate stuff into scripts, I think it should be easier.

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Hey,

It is still there. I just re-arranged the files a bit to start organising the files a bit better.

You can find it in the energy folder: https://github.com/tinuva/home-assistant-config/tree/master/packages/energy

I am still using the old 0.8.9 version I think? Newer version has the ip address config etc in the gui. I am actually waiting it out for when it is merged as an official addon, which is probably going to happen early next year I think gauging the comments on the github pull request: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/58503

Quite a few things will be changing too, so I will have to re-do some of my automations, but since I am actually merging some of my duplicate stuff into scripts, I think it should be easier.

Shot. That's super helpful

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Hey,

Shot. That's super helpful

Veroland

Executive Member
I am using a normal power cable, I updated Core and OS yesterday to the latest version, hopefully that makes a difference.
Are you using a SD card? I've had issue's with my pi's before where the SD card get corrupted if it is not a high quality card.

mrb13676

Are you using NodeRed by any chance? I had this when I updated NodeRed to the latest version (1.20)? I rolled back to the previous version and problem went away. Not sure if this was causal or not……

tRoN

Executive Member
Anyone manage to get the Somfy RTS to integrate into HA

Their rts to wifi hub is prohibitively expensive

Neuk_

Executive Member
Are you using a SD card? I've had issue's with my pi's before where the SD card get corrupted if it is not a high quality card.

Yep, I can’t remember what SD card I have in there, I’ll take a look when we are back from holiday.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Ok, so I am being my usual dense self.

Trying to streamline my automations to use one to get the job done instead of multiple as I have been doing.

So I need to use variables in automations to give me the information I need in notification messages but I am missing something.

I even thought I could make it simpler by using a group e.g. group.people_owners state as a trigger (whose state shows home/not_home depending states of two mobile devices instead of what I have below) but then it gives me the name of the group and not the entity inside the group that allowed the trigger to be matched.

According to the help articles, I could also use {{ trigger.trigger_id }} to get the details of the item that cause the state change. So since I am doff, I thought I gave up on using the group as trigger and rather added each item directly inside trigger and then assign a friendly trigger id which I thought I could then reference in the notification. But it does not give me the trigger id in message. What am I doing wrong?

Example below:

YAML:
alias: ' CHECK AND ARM HOME WHEN OWNERS LEAVE '
description: >-
  Check to see if house needs to be be armed when Ted or Beard leaves .
  Using GPS from HA app on phones
trigger:
  - platform: zone
    entity_id: person.ted
    zone: zone.home
    event: leave
    id: Ted
  - platform: zone
    entity_id: person.beard
    zone: zone.home
    event: leave
    id: Beard
condition:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: alarm_control_panel.outside
        state: disarmed
        entity_id: group.people_staff
        state: not_home
        entity_id: group.people_owners
        state: not_home
action:
  - service: notify.mobiledevicesonly
    data:
      title: HOME
        {{ trigger.trigger_id }} left home and no-one else at home. Arming house.
        House
  - service: switch.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id:
        - switch.study_pir_bypass
  - data: {}
    service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_away
    target:
      entity_id:
        - alarm_control_panel.outside
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 10
      milliseconds: 0
  - data: {}
    service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_away
    target:
      entity_id: alarm_control_panel.inside
mode: single

w1tw0lf

Expert Member
Try and change {{ trigger.trigger_id }} to {{ trigger.to_state.attributes.friendly_name }}.

It is how it is on my automations and works correctly.